So I'm looking for a new guitar, and I have decided that I want an Ibanez. I love Joe Satriani's tone, so I am intersested in using his humbucker combo: FRED (bridge) and PAF Joe (neck).

Now I just need to find a suitable guitar. It doesn't matter what pickups come on the guitar, because I will be changing them anyway. I want the guitar to have 24 frets and an Edge Pro bridge (I have heard bad things about the Edge III bridge).

I have found guitars like this, except they had an H/S/H configuration (a single-coil in the middle). Would this conflict with my changing the humbuckers?

If so, what are some guitars I should look into that fit my needs? My price limit is around $900, but I may be able to push it a little.

Thanks for you help!
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S620EXQM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512501

not an edge pro, but the ZR is equally as good.

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2570Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=518082

edit: i didn't notice the one in the top link doesn't have 24 frets so ignore that one, unless you decide you want 22.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Dec 29, 2008,
Ibanez JS100..?? then change the pick ups from the stock ones..
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
I really want 24 frets though.

And would the single-coil still allow me to change pickups properly?
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
EDGE III's are not that bad

i quite agree
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by rhcpfan93
I really want 24 frets though.

And would the single-coil still allow me to change pickups properly?

yes.
So am I making the right choice with this pickup change?
Will the tone be a lot better?
depends what amp you're using.
I plan on getting a new amp after this (I know your supposed to get the amp first but I don't care).

Any suggestions? I play classic rock, metal, and Joe Satriani kind of stuff.
having a single coil in the middle won't affect the fitting of new pick-ups.

you could...

1: wire them as normal so you have the single coil sound
2: deactivate the middle pickup and leave it in there

personally i prefer H/H over H/S/H as the single coil doesn't get in the way of picking, and i never use the middle pickup
Spear Gladius II
Squire Standard Stratocaster LTD ED c/w hotrails
Squire Deluxe Strat c/w Hotrails
Dean Baby V
Tanglewood Acoustic
Bugera 333 Head
Laney Cab Vintage 30's
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2
Boss MT-2 (modified)
Marshall Jackhammer
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
EDGE III's are not that bad

This is true mine works great you just need to get it properly setup
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
This is true mine works great you just need to get it properly setup

1+

anything can last awhile if taken care of properly.
Quote by ironman1478
1+

anything can last awhile if taken care of properly.

Agreed mine was complete crap until I took it to a tech it works flawlessly now but then again I dont divebomb everything I only use it rarely.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Dude, I played the JS1000 and its mind blowing, i used an Ibanez tube amp, am guessing, which was half decent, and still the guitar was gr8, so ya this pickups combo is quit the bomb. to look more thoroughly at the matter at hand, JS uses a basswood guitar, so if u want the same vibrant tone he gets, u should get something similar, unless your aiming for mahogany’s fat tone which is best for metal and heavy stuff. Personally i prefer good quality basswood, its more versatile and vibrant. ok what else to say, oh ya, as for the amp, if you’re looking for a modeling amp i just have 2 words for you dude, VOX VALVETRONIX, i mean the thing is just amazing and you can get almost all metal and blues and cleans out of it, very nice for Metallica tone and classic rock.
now my turn to ask, is there a way i could install the same combination on my RG 1570 and still having the single pickup working?? i mean ill have the 2 humbuckers and get a single for absolute clear tone, so would that work??
good luck dude. honestly buying Ibanez medium to top of the line products, you don't really need luck, cause you can never go wrong with them