so, i have been busking these last few weeks on saturdays for a few hours each, and got myself a grand total of....300pounds (pound key doesn't work )

skip to the blue text to get straight to the point

and I want a new amp. i only play shred, Michael Angelo Batio, Yngwie Malmsteen etc and metal like stratovarius, children of bodom and necrophagist.

of all of those bands i only like MABs, Necrophagist and Yngwie's tone, so i researched them a bit:
MAB apparently uses Marshall amps, a JMP-1 in studio with an overdrive because it doesn't have enough gain by itself.

Yngwie uses a Marshall amp too, jcm 800 cranked for enough gain.

Necrophagist use ENGL powerballs.

so i found that there are 2 amps to expensive for me and one that i need good luck on ebay and i have to hope that MAB does use jmp1s even though he doesn't outside of the studio.

i went to my local music store, with a good range of amps and guitar related equipment, and first went to try a dsl40, the only valve combo from marshall, which i assumed would be best for the tone i want as 2/3s of my favourite tones come from them. but no! it sounded terrible and fizzy - the opposite of what i wanted. i soon decided to try amps a bit further out of my price range, starting with a peavey 6505 i heard so much about. i honestly think it sounded worse for what i wanted than the marshall. then a peavey triple xxx 212. it was perfect! then i was told the price tag on it was wrong, and it was 700 not 450 and the combo versions were discontinued.

so i want to know some cheaper amps for 450pounds max that sounds like the peavey triplexxx

must have:
2 channels, i don't care how bad the clean is but the overdrive has to be smooth and creamy, preferably 3 channels

112 or 212 combo or enough money left for a cabinet.

lots and lots of reverb or enough money left over to buy a reverb pedal

im thinking about the bugera 333 or JMP1, both of which i cant try and hoping that they sound how i think they are supposed to sound.

any other suggestions?

sorry for allthe text, and i don't gig yet, but intend to eventually

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Dec 29, 2008,
are you gigging?

450 seems realistic

TO GAK!

brb
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Laney LC30
peavey windsor studio
Randall RG50-tc
check out the sound city SC series

you'd also benefit from an overdrive like a TS9
aernt those peaveys low gain amps? ill look out for some laneys and randalls too

Quote by metallicafan616
aernt those peaveys low gain amps? ill look out for some laneys and randalls too

the windsor is supposed to be aimed at JCM800 terretory, metal would be fine for it
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the windsor is supposed to be aimed at JCM800 terretory, metal would be fine for it

ill ask if they have it then

frelip, i already said i am considering bugeras

EDIT: going to bed, will update and check responses in the morning

Actually, the Peavey Windsor head is a JCM 800 clone, but the combo is suposedly a totally unrelated amp tonewise. The head is single channel, but it's dirt cheap for what you get.
would the head + a 212cab be in my price range?

Quote by metallicafan616
would the head + a 212cab be in my price range?

not a decent one, stick with a combo
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
not a decent one, stick with a combo

You could build a 2x12 for around £100 plus you could pick your own speakers. It's simpler to do than you'd think.

Also getting a cab + head is cheaper in the long run as you only have to pay for a new head or cab when you want to upgrade.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Last edited by rockdan101 at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by Stickymongoose
Actually, the Peavey Windsor head is a JCM 800 clone, but the combo is suposedly a totally unrelated amp tonewise. The head is single channel, but it's dirt cheap for what you get.

I have the Windsor half stack and I love it. It does sound completely different than the combo. I'm not sure what the currency converts too...but they're going for $499 USD brand new...cabinet included.

EDIT: you would likely need a pedal to pull off some of the tones you mentioned.
Quote by rockdan101
You could build a 2x12 for around £100 plus you could pick your own speakers. It's simpler to do than you'd think.

Also getting a cab + head is cheaper in the long run as you only have to pay for a new head or cab when you want to upgrade.

a decent head for £350 is a tall order though
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

+1 this would be your best choice for your price range and would give enough money left to buy a decent cab (don't buy the peavey ones). Maybe an overdrive pedal would come in handy too with it.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's