why do some guitars have scalloped frets. herman li (from dragonforce) has an ibanez with the 21-24 frets being scalloped. whats the purpose.
You can play faster on them,bends are smoother,things like arpeggios and sweeping are more fluid,and you can explore techniques using semi-tones and so on because there isn't that extra wood under the fret.The downside is you have to have your dynamics and technique on the fret board nailed down since it's easier to sling up and what not.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You can play faster on them,bends are smoother,things like arpeggios and sweeping are more fluid,and you can explore techniques using semi-tones and so on because there isn't that extra wood under the fret.The downside is you have to have your dynamics and technique on the fret board nailed down since it's easier to sling up and what not.

That's actually not necessarily true... They're a lot harder to play, to be honest. However, you are right on most. Bending and vibrato is supposed to be better (with enough practice, of course).
i saw an ad for the ibanez that used em. it's a pretty sweet guitar, and it's herman li's EGEN18twf. it's pretty sick
Quote by Y00p
That's actually not necessarily true... They're a lot harder to play, to be honest. However, you are right on most. Bending and vibrato is supposed to be better (with enough practice, of course).

I was going by my own experience with them on that one.They are harder to play on for sure,but once you get used to them everything seems faster and more fluid.I stopped playing on them because even though I got used to them,I honestly wasn't good and consistent enough to not **** up my notes hahaha.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I was going by my own experience with them on that one.They are harder to play on for sure,but once you get used to them everything seems faster and more fluid.I stopped playing on them because even though I got used to them,I honestly wasn't good and consistent enough to not **** up my notes hahaha.

In that you are correct.
With practice, everything becomes easier. Though I must say, Malmsteen, who in my book is the most spoken out scalloped player, has become rather sloppy as well.
Quote by Y00p
In that you are correct.
With practice, everything becomes easier. Though I must say, Malmsteen, who in my book is the most spoken out scalloped player, has become rather sloppy as well.

It might be the old age and all those frockin' donuts