Page 1 of 2
So i came across these articles at work today. The skinny of it is that some people see the death of the CD and resurgence of vinyl. The reason for this being that CD's no longer are more portable as through Itunes you can get the songs that you have on your vinyl. (It is popular to include a coupon in the record sleave for free download).

The sound quality is supposedly better, and the sales of vinyl are supposed to be growing exponentially. Also, many artists see the vinyl record as the optimum way to release music both as more tangible and it allows for bigger album artwork. The major record labels deny this, and say no change will happen. (But they also doubted the success of itunes and otherwise fail)

Some (and i personally) see this and hope that the album (and not the single) will again be the focus of the music industry.

I can see many reasons for record labels to fight against this. With I-tunes, myspace, smaller labels, and a ton of free knowlege available, record labels aren't as necessary as before. (Though they still have the upper-hand IMHO, such as buying radio time and mass publicity)

So, where do you think music will be in 10 years? We have seen allot of change with the Ipod and Myspace. Where to next?

I welcome the change, as i never listen to CDs once i rip them, and since the big MP3 change I've never sat and listened to music with friends, always let them borrow the CD. (In the age of tapes i would) Hopefully it put's a end to listening to music on someones Laptop (this, i hate). As an artist I've always wanted to release a album on vinyl.

Sources
rollingstone mag
Time magazine
there are allot more, you can google for them.
i can see this happening as well. At least until a new digital format with higher quality becomes mainstream. (i.e. releasing albums on Blu-Ray discs)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I would love to get vinyl. But I also like CDs. Albums are the way forward whatever the format, personally I've never understood singles, and haven't ever bought any. And I'm not that keen on downloading. I like going to shops.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
you'd think that the major labels would be all for the resurgence of vinyl, since it would mean that they're still relevant, and it would offer an easy way to coexist with online stores such as iTunes or Napster.

EDIT: just thought i would use this opportunity to brag about how my grandpa let me keep a bunch of old blues and jazz records i found in his basement. there's even some old german opera. it's awesome.
I swear there was a thread about vinyl earlier...
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by metaldud536
Wow, I wish I could sit with friends and listen to music. But about vinyls, you can't play them in your car!!

But many cars these days have iPod docks in them or a cable to plug your mp3 player into. I don't see cd's dying anytime soo but downloading will take away a huge portion of the market.
I still think vinyl is the best medium for sound quality,
and I'm all for the resurrection of the album vs the single,

but I think thorazine is right.
Blu-ray music is most likely next.

Although I really want a turntable in my living room.
That would kick ass
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by Babbs
you'd think that the major labels would be all for the resurgence of vinyl, since it would mean that they're still relevant, and it would offer an easy way to coexist with online stores such as iTunes or Napster.

EDIT: just thought i would use this opportunity to brag about how my grandpa let me keep a bunch of old blues and jazz records i found in his basement. there's even some old german opera. it's awesome.

You lucky fellow. What opera?

It'd be awesome, but then what would become of the CD? It would be amusing if there were similar 'bring back the CD' threads. But I'm all for vinyl as I said, and albums *she says, desperately trying to remain on topic*.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
I don't know, digital music is a little more convenient for me, so I wouldn't really care whether if vinyls come back or not.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
I swear there was a thread about vinyl earlier...

There was, but it was about if you use vinyl or not. Not about it's return or impact on us as musicians.

Sorry if i runed your day, i know how you guys like to report things.

Also, It's kind of Ipod=king of portable music
vinyl= king of quality, stationary music
Uhm, people must've forgotten that vinyl wears out, and is much more prone to damage than a CD.

I personally hope they go blu-ray and start using a GOOD surround system. Stereo is old, but 5.1 is crap too...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I buy vinyls solely for the fact that they're neat, I got my vinyl player for 3 bucks in a garage sale. (luuuuuuucky buy, tho)
Quote by LastToKnow
You lucky fellow. What opera?

It'd be awesome, but then what would become of the CD? It would be amusing if there were similar 'bring back the CD' threads. But I'm all for vinyl as I said, and albums *she says, desperately trying to remain on topic*.

kurt weill's threepenny opera, i believe. it's quite good.
I prefer the sound of a well equalized set of large headphones over a vinyl record.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Quote by fortysix&2
Uhm, people must've forgotten that vinyl wears out, and is much more prone to damage than a CD.

I personally hope they go blu-ray and start using a GOOD surround system. Stereo is old, but 5.1 is crap too...

theres nothing wrong with 5.1 as long as it's utilized and set up properly... The big problem with 5.1 and music is that very few producers know how to get a good 5.1 mix.

Last.fm
Vinyl never REALLY died anyway. It's always been there, but it's only been recently that more distributors, artists, etc. have decided to get back into it.

I love vinyl, to be honest, and couldn't be happier with the resurgance.

Like now, while I may only have two modern vinyl records (I have around 15 "classic" vinyls), I'm finding it easier and easier to find my favorite bands' albums on vinyl.

I recently pre-ordered the new Animal Collective on double-LP, even.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I have a lot of original records, Zepplin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Yes, Hendrix etc. and yea they sound good but I don't really play them much. Some of the remixes have better sound on CDs. Also you have to get up and change them every 20 mins.
Vinyl doesnt have better quality than CDs im afraid. I have a article on this somewhere,i'll look for it.
Quote by lookitsjoshh
Vinyl doesnt have better quality than CDs im afraid. I have a article on this somewhere,i'll look for it.

that depends on how you determine "sound quality" which is quite subjective. one could easily argue that since Vinyls don't require digital sampling that they will have a warmer sound with less compression.

Last.fm
I wouldn't like to see a return to vinyl, as much as I love it, even the recent albums I've bought on vinyl decreased in quality since I bought them (a few tool ones).
It is fun to watch, and listen to a vinyl spinning though and I'd say I'll be doing that for the rest of my life, but not with anything new.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
I wouldn't like to see a return to vinyl, as much as I love it, even the recent albums I've bought on vinyl decreased in quality since I bought them (a few tool ones).
It is fun to watch, and listen to a vinyl spinning though and I'd say I'll be doing that for the rest of my life, but not with anything new.

that depends largely on what type of turntable you are using and the quality of the vinyl used. With a resurgence in popularity it's likely that better turntables will become more readily available and that pressing plants will use higher quality materials.

Last.fm
Maybe instead of one medium exclusively being at the forefront, we'll see all of the different types become equally popular and available.

And amen to the death of the single. I really hate the idea of making one song on an album stand out and the rest pretty much being ignored. EVERY song should be a single.
We're only strays.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that depends on how you determine "sound quality" which is quite subjective. one could easily argue that since Vinyls don't require digital sampling that they will have a warmer sound with less compression.

Im not talking about MP3 format,im talking about the format of which the songs are on the cd. The reasons viylssound warmer has something to do with the flaws in vinyl records,and the needle size.im still looking for it,its in one of my popsci magazines.
I still buy CD's.

Quote by equaltocody
Is there any evidence over which is better Blu-ray or Vinyl?

Regardless of which is better, Elitists will say Vinyl because its analog. I'm sure most people couldn't hear the difference. CD's sound pretty darn good to me, although I've never had a chance to listen to vinyl records. Music on DVD's is amazing quality, in my opinion. Blu-ray will probably be even better than that.
even if Vinyl sounded ****ty people would still like it, like those old Duke Ellington albums from like the 30s

and the artwork is a huge deal for me, CDs jsut seem so robotic and lifeless. I like seeing the record spin you know

but they wont have to do vinyls for like pop music and stuff like in mass production because really the people that listen to those "hit singles" dont give a **** about music anyways so why would they pay for an $25 album that they only like 1 song?
Quote by lookitsjoshh
Im not talking about MP3 format,im talking about the format of which the songs are on the cd. The reasons viylssound warmer has something to do with the flaws in vinyl records,and the needle size.im still looking for it,its in one of my popsci magazines.

I'm not talking about mp3 format either, the fact is that even with CDs the audio needs to be compressed (and reduced in bitrate to 16 bit)

Last.fm
Quote by Tedward
even if Vinyl sounded ****ty people would still like it, like those old Duke Ellington albums from like the 30s

and the artwork is a huge deal for me, CDs jsut seem so robotic and lifeless. I like seeing the record spin you know

but they wont have to do vinyls for like pop music and stuff like in mass production because really the people that listen to those "hit singles" dont give a **** about music anyways so why would they pay for an $25 album that they only like 1 song?

Good points. That's why they predict the death odf the CD, And vinyl encourages the artists to fill the record with good stuff.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I'm not talking about mp3 format either, the fact is that even with CDs the audio needs to be compressed (and reduced in bitrate to 16 bit)

ahh blahh,you win.i not even going to try to start a huge argument as most of the members do on here. Im just saying that the reason for the vinyls sounding warmes are the imperfections and sizes of the grooves in the vynl and the constant size of the needle.
Quote by lookitsjoshh
ahh blahh,you win.i not even going to try to start a huge argument as most of the members do on here. Im just saying that the reason for the vinyls sounding warmes are the imperfections and sizes of the grooves in the vynl and the constant size of the needle.

I'm not doubting it, but if it sounds better, then it sounds better, regardless of whether or not the sound is caused by imperfections.

Last.fm
Currently vinyl singles outsell CD singles, Digital downloads outstrip them both.

The problem is that vinyl albums are expensive and that CDs are essentially digital downloads in a round format that you have to carry around and will eventually just rip any way.

The album as an art form is dying, I'm afraid to say. There's a move towards albums just being a collection of singles because those are the only parts most people download anyway. Track cross-fading is increasingly discouraged.

I think however, CD's and vinyl will live on as long as audiophiles complain about over-compression and lossy file formats. They'll probably just become limited edition things though. The kind of thing that comes with a T-shirt in a nice box.
Quote by rizo299

The album as an art form is dying, I'm afraid to say. There's a move towards albums just being a collection of singles because those are the only parts most people download anyway. Track cross-fading is increasingly discouraged.

Most pop albums (with a few notable exceptions) have just been collections of singles (and worthless filler material) since the 50s...

Last.fm
Quote by Tire Me.

Hillary Clinton's under appreciated outtakes collection.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by rizo299
I think however, CD's and vinyl will live on as long as audiophiles complain about over-compression and lossy file formats. They'll probably just become limited edition things though. The kind of thing that comes with a T-shirt in a nice box.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Most pop albums (with a few notable exceptions) have just been collections of singles (and worthless filler material) since the 50s...

This is more of a mainstream, big name label problem, than that of music as an art. Almost all of the more commited smaller Indie and local music scene revolves around an album. Hopefully, this means we are seeing a increased demand for bands that can actually make a whole album of good music and put an end to singles. Which are in no way as endearing or enduring as a complete LP. Which is good cause the single is conducive to pop stars like hannah or the jonas brothers. Who want's more lab created disney kids. not I.
Vinyl sounds good if you listen to new records. Older records produce alot of noise. That being said, CDs are better in the long run as they last much longer. Vinyls are awesome for nostalgia's sake and I think that is all they will ever be in the future, a look back in time. They are also bulky, you can't play them in a car (You can but alot of pressure is put on the record and it eventually ruins it), they aren't very user friendly when it comes to ripping, and they are expensive.

I love vinyl. It just isn't practical.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion