I'm in a blues combo now and while I love the sound of my Ampeg B3158 (SS), I'd like to get closer to a more classic blues bass tone aka tube.

Now after some discussion in chat with Jon, this seems to indicate a good Overdrive pedal.

So my questions dear Bass forum are:

1. What would you recommend in Overdrive Pedals to get close to a good blues bass tone. I already have a ODB3 Boss pedal--that's closer really to a fuzz pedal than the tone I am looking for

2. If an overdrive pedal is not the right answer, then make a recommendation otherwise.
I dont know much at all about tubes, but if you do want more info on them, ask talkbass

seriously i think that over half the people on the amps forum there have all tube heads and 3 foot high racks and walls of 215 cabs

Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I think I am a persona non gratis on talkbass, at least with the account I have. I made the mistake of taking on a Carol Kaye fan, and I don't think I'll ever live that down.

To clarify--I am really looking for a good effect to thicken up my tone to get near a tube sound, the tone you hear on those classic blues songs.
Quote by anarkee
I think I am a persona non gratis on talkbass, at least with the account I have. I made the mistake of taking on a Carol Kaye fan, and I don't think I'll ever live that down.

To clarify--I am really looking for a good effect to thicken up my tone to get near a tube sound, the tone you hear on those classic blues songs.

Ah i see.

Then my best advice is just to try out everything you can
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Fulltone Bass Drive? Expensive though. But in my experiences you don't get good warm, organic goodness until you spend around $150 at least.

The Tech 21 VT bass might also warrant some trying out. Since you already use an Ampeg it might work for a nice hairy drivenish sound.
I would say a tube boost pedal would be up your street. I'm going to say no to the Fulltone however, unless you try it out.

Fulltone do a FatBoost, which uses a JFET which might be up your street. EBS do a Class A Valve Bass Distortion - that would be perfect for you.

http://www.activemusician.com/item--MG.PEDAL-VDR
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I second Nutter_101s advice. That EBS is what I was about to propose, it's bound to be great.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Try the VT like IndianRockStar said. I also like the EHX English Muff'n to emulate that tube tone. The EHX Black Finger will fatten up your sound considerably, if that's what you're looking for. I've had good experiences with all the above, though.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have Friday off, so maybe I'll hit some local stores and try some of these out.