Hey UG. I have this one-off bass made by Australian guitar company Ashton and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about the stuff on my bass and if it's good or not?

What pickups are these? What genres are they useful for? Are they versatile?

What bridge is this? What is the thing the strings run down to at the back? Will it be hard to re-string? Does it stay in tune?

Is this 3-way pickup selector handy? Does it add alot more versatility to the instrument?

What tuners are these? Are they good? Do they stay in tune? What about the nut?

Thanks for your help guys!
The bridge looks like a standard Tun-O-Matic to me... You've got the bridge, then the strings are anchored in the tailpiece, and it's really easy to re-string.
BTW, I'm a guitarist, so I couldn't say about much of the rest.
Best way to find any of that out is to plug it in and play it. tune it up and play alittle and see if it stayed in tune. Play with the different pickups, You can answer all your own questions.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Ive never seen those pickups before but i have seen some that are of the same type/size that EMG made. I think their just single coil pickups like that in an Tele bass.

The tuners are pretty standard for an entry level bass. I'm guessing if you turn the bass around they're really small and only attached by one little screw.

If im looking at the bass right, the strings hold the bridge in place, so if you change the strings and take them all off, it will be just a piece of metal. The only thing that mounts to the body is these 2 little pillars.

My guitar is like that but the strings go into the body, so in comparison the strings will be looser.

Those 3 switches are probably series/parallel switches for each pickup and it will make the pickup a little more thin and treble'ly compared to the normal sound, at least when I've seen them on guitar.

Hope i can help
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Thanks for your help so far guys. If this helps with the pup info, the black dots on the pups arent the magnets their just little black circles embossed into the pup cover, but i'm assuming the actual magnets are underneath them.
Quote by mrbiscuits315
I would try emailing the company. Give them the model/serial number though.

Yeah sadly Ashton's contact info isn't on their website. I've checked their serial number search and it doesn't have a result, because as said earlier, it's a one off bass. Infact it actually has a story to it, a friend of a friend works or worked (don't know) at Ashton and designed this bass as a prototype to mass-produce, the bass was rejected and so this person gave it to another person who works at a guitar store and he put it up on the shelf and i happened to buy it.
The pickups are standard 51' style pbass pickups, 3 are incredibly versatile. You will not have a problem with almost any genre, although you would have to EQ a bit for metal. Tunomatic bridges are generally fairly good quality, it is just certain models that are stinkers, but yours does not appear to be one (so yes, it is good). The part of the bridge where the strings run down to at the bottom is the stoptail, and the other part that lifts the strings up is the tunomatic. They are usually both reffered to as a tunomatic bridge. They are as easy to restring as any fender, do not worry about it.

The switches are easy. Each one corresponds to a pickup, turning each pickup on and off. While this reduces speed in changing pickups, this wiring set up gives the best control over your pickups.

I am not too sure about the tuners, if you could show us a picture of the back of the headstock so we can see the gears, that would help as tuner brands usually stamp their logo on the back. I would venture to guess that it is either Ashton self made tuners, or perhaps gotoh if you are lucky.

Overall, it is a phenominal bass. I am unfamiliar with the brand, but I would venture a resell value of $500.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
You should probably to put a nut and washer on that middle switch.

Looks like a good bass to me. Does it have any knobs, or just the switches? How's it sound/play?
Nope, no sig here.
Yeah i definately will put a nut and washer there, it didn't come like that, the ensemble i play in took it out of my case when i wasn't there and messed around with it. It has a standard volume and tone knobs, the ones that les pauls usually have.

The neck pickup has a really fat, loud, bassy sound, the middle pickup has a sound that's almost as fat as the neck, but has boosted mids and treble, while the bridge pickup is probably the most quiet and quite trebly and ballsy. The back of the neck is finished so it's probably not as fast as your standard fender if you get sweaty like me, but i'm sure in the right hands it'd play faster, but it's quite good at slap. Also, thanks for the info Kranoscorp, just what i needed to know, thanks! Regarding what you said about it being $500, are you talking USD? If so i've hit the jackpot with this thing!
Quote by Mutant Corn
Oh wow, I like that shape. Nice find there, that's a beautiful bass.

Thanks man! I find it quite reminiscent of the SG, my only beef is that the lower horns fret access could be a little better, but I don't find myself playing up there too often. I was also poking around inside the f-holes a bit and found that it has a center-block in the middle.
does anyone know if you can buy this style of pickups cheap anywhere? I'm considering making a burns bison style bass on the cheap for that £100 build competition they have going in the gear build and customing forum...
Quote by cjlane
Yeah i definately will put a nut and washer there, it didn't come like that, the ensemble i play in took it out of my case when i wasn't there and messed around with it. It has a standard volume and tone knobs, the ones that les pauls usually have.

The neck pickup has a really fat, loud, bassy sound, the middle pickup has a sound that's almost as fat as the neck, but has boosted mids and treble, while the bridge pickup is probably the most quiet and quite trebly and ballsy. The back of the neck is finished so it's probably not as fast as your standard fender if you get sweaty like me, but i'm sure in the right hands it'd play faster, but it's quite good at slap. Also, thanks for the info Kranoscorp, just what i needed to know, thanks! Regarding what you said about it being $500, are you talking USD? If so i've hit the jackpot with this thing!

Yes, USD. If it says "schaller" or "gotoh" anywhere on the tuners, you can add $25-50 to my estimate. The neck pickup is expected to be fat, but the bridge pickup should NOT be quieter. To raise the volume of the pickup, lift the pickup higher by tightening the screws on the pickup ring.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Yes, USD. If it says "schaller" or "gotoh" anywhere on the tuners, you can add $25-50 to my estimate. The neck pickup is expected to be fat, but the bridge pickup should NOT be quieter. To raise the volume of the pickup, lift the pickup higher by tightening the screws on the pickup ring.

Cool! I got the bass for $200 AUD. I checked the tuners, they don't seem to have names anywhere, they do have a black and white circle around the pegs and a black plastic cylinder going into the tuner. I'll give the pickup a tighten afterwards and update on it.
Wow man, what a beautiful bass you've got there. I'd snatch that right up if you were selling it, but if I were you and already had it, I would never let go of it. Obviously, a 1 of a kind bass.

Like I always say. it's not about the market value, its about the sentimental value
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
Quote by Smartass
Wow man, what a beautiful bass you've got there. I'd snatch that right up if you were selling it, but if I were you and already had it, I would never let go of it. Obviously, a 1 of a kind bass.

Like I always say. it's not about the market value, its about the sentimental value

Haha, thanks man that's really flattering and you're right, i got it in the first place because it was really off-beat and one of a kind. So i guess i could say both my basses have sentimental value, the other being an Affinity P-Bass (I know what you're thinking, but it's got Billy Sheehan's signature on the back of the headstock )