My brother got a bass for christmas, a squier vintage 70s modifed jazz bass, pretty nice for a 280 dollar bass. Anyway, he lets me mess around on it so I figured i'd try and learn how to play it. I've already learned a few simple basslines and Roxanne on it, but whats the proper way to strum/pluck/whatever the strings with my fingers? I know some bassists use picks, but I'd like to be able to play without a pick.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Read the FAQ, im sure there are tips in there.

You can either use two fingers and walk it(index and middle) you can use three, and even four fingers.

When I play, after I strike the string my finger rests on the next lowest string until I need to play another note.
Start slowly with your first and 2nd finger, and gain speed slowly. Then start trying to play alternate strings (Basically, start on the E, then try playing like E, A, E, A, E, A) then, keep expanding on that to the E, A and D strings etc.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

and when i use a pick i alternative pick correct?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
and when i use a pick i alternative pick correct?

Yes you can I suggest you read the bass FAQ found at the top of the bass forum, it is filled with all kinds of insightful knowledge on bass related techniques and it is what I learned some things from when I made the switch from guitar to bass.
Quote by grifff
Yes you can I suggest you read the bass FAQ found at the top of the bass forum, it is filled with all kinds of insightful knowledge on bass related techniques and it is what I learned some things from when I made the switch from guitar to bass.

ill check it out

thanks everyone
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The other thing to remember is unless you are looking for a very percussive, staccato sound keep your fingers loose and stroke the strings rather than a hard pluck.
i usually just use my index and middle fingers, but if they get tired, like in a long song, i use my ring finger, hardly ever my pinky, however you spell that.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay