Hey guys,

pretty freakin' happy right now just picked up a framus dragon for £570 which I think is unbelievable as brand new these gems go for around £1400. spent the day looking around birmingham at reverb (ex-sound control), pmt (professional music techonology) and fairdeal music. I wasn't all that impressed by the prices and the range of amps that they had in stock, so I checked ebay and bam! found just what i was looking for.

just gotta get myself a 2x12 cab, what do you guys reccomend? bear in mind I dont really wanna spend over £300 really, and consider that I live in the UK so avatars aren't an option.

any dragon owners wanna let me know anything they've learnt from using the amp? settings/good tubes to reccomend/etc
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
pics!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Erm..... maybe try Vaders? I don't really know much about cabs, let alone UK cab dealers. Maybe eBay could be your savior again?

Best of luck mate, and yeah, please post pics
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
that's a good deal...

there's a framus 2x12 for around the £200 mark,. i haven't tried it though...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by nowa90
pics!

Haha will post em up asap, it's really late now so I'm too tired to hunt for my camera :P

Quote by stratman_13
Erm..... maybe try Vaders? I don't really know much about cabs, let alone UK cab dealers. Maybe eBay could be your savior again?

Best of luck mate, and yeah, please post pics

Thanks Did look at Vader's actually but they're US I think, I reckon you're right that eBay will be the place to look, and yeah I'll get pics ASAP :P

Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a good deal...

there's a framus 2x12 for around the £200 mark,. i haven't tried it though...

Cheers man I agree, it's very rarely a high quality amp like that will go up for less than half the RRP on UK eBay.

Is this the cabinet you meant? http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm?sid=2763417f4dc84abd56439009676c79c4 I certainly looks good, s'got V30s in it too I'll just haveta have a search around for something I can try.

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
IF you can scav a bit more money then go for a Orange 2x12. Sounds tasty.
Or i'm sure you could get a framus 2x12 as well for like 280?
Fellow Uk person here, i know the struggle to find a nice cab in a small price rang.

Pics matee!
Sweet.
The Framus 2x12 that Dave recommended is probably your best bet. They're great cabs, and extremely good value.

Good score on the Dragon, very good price indeed.

First thing to do with the Framus amps is have them rebiased much hotter than stock. The factory biases them very cold, and the result is quite a brittle, extremely top-endy tone at low volumes, and a general thin-ness when played louder. Have it biased hotter and you'll get much fuller sound and livelier response across the volume range. There's a tech in Selly Oak that is very knowledgeable and reasonably priced, can't think of the name of the place off the top of my head though.
Ruby and Winged C make some of the best EL34s IMO. Tung-sol 12AX7s are the way forward for the preamp. I'd steer away from the oft-recommended JJs with the Dragon, as it's a dark amp, and they tend to add a bit too much muddy low end.
Bear in mind that it is not an amp designed for low volumes. It really needs to be turned up loud before it starts to open up.
Keep the channel volumes above 3 o'clock, and don't be afraid to make extreme adjustments on the knobs. It's not necessarily the kind of amp that sounds good with everything at 12 o'clock.
You may find that the amp is not as gainy as you're expecting, but there is still plenty there to do all kinds of extreme music. Stick to channel 2 for metal rhythm (don't be tempted by channel 3 for this, as it is much looser and over-compressed for rhythm, though it is fantastic for leads), and add a tubescreamer-style boost if it's not aggressive enough for your tastes.

EDIT: the link you posted is the cab we're talking about
Last edited by Nolly at Dec 29, 2008,
yeah, that's the cab. bear in mind, i didn't recommend it as i haven't tried it, just it'd be worth a look. now might be the wrong time to buy though, as the pound is pretty weak versus the euro...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's some pics guys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/alton828/Photo-0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/alton828/Photo-0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/alton828/Photo-0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/alton828/Photo-0008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/alton828/Photo-0009.jpg

Pic quality is crap because it's from my phone...

The tolex colour is different from the normal black one, apparently the guy which I bought it from got it from a guy who was endorsed by framus and so they gave him a limited edition colour tolex, so it's like one of a kind or something.

Do you think a Maxon OD808/OD9 would be a good OD pedal to match with the Dragon? Cuz I was thinking of getting one along with a cab...

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Curse you Europeans and your much lower prices on Framus amps........

Anyways, the OD808 will sound fantastic through the Dragon
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Uhm, Vader sells to Europe now Not many people seem to realize that. The Framus cab would probably be a better match, but don't underestimate the Vader, it's amazing. Also, the band The Absence uses Cobras and uses that very OD pedal, so yeah, it'll work and should sound insane.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Congrats!
Was the previous owner from a band called Ghosts Over Japan by any chance?
Quote by Nolly
Congrats!
Was the previous owner from a band called Ghosts Over Japan by any chance?

Not sure if it was the previous owner, but it was definately owned by a guy from Ghosts Over Japan at some point as I just checked their myspace photos:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=267312978&albumID=804807&imageID=8738207

The guy who I bought it from was in a band called Eye Of Osiris apparently...

I think I'm gonna go with the Orange PPC2x12 cab, looks great and it'll sound killer. I don't mind spending that bit more really, I mean what's the point in having a nice head and plugging it into a crappy cabinet eh? Man once I get that cab and a Maxon I should be totally set !!

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Quote by Matt_Synyster
Not sure if it was the previous owner, but it was definately owned by a guy from Ghosts Over Japan at some point as I just checked their myspace photos:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=267312978&albumID=804807&imageID=8738207

The guy who I bought it from was in a band called Eye Of Osiris apparently...

I think I'm gonna go with the Orange PPC2x12 cab, looks great and it'll sound killer. I don't mind spending that bit more really, I mean what's the point in having a nice head and plugging it into a crappy cabinet eh? Man once I get that cab and a Maxon I should be totally set !!

Thought so, I remember seeing that Dragon and thinking it looked pretty cool.
Good choice on cab, interested to hear what you make of it all once you're done.
Saw said head on ebay too.... nice steal there mate!! Very nice indeed!!
Fantastically good deal. Meant to be very good amps, I believe Killswitch uses them?
Quote by Horlicks
Fantastically good deal. Meant to be very good amps, I believe Killswitch uses them?

Yea they used them to record The End Of Heartache I think, mind you their guitarists have been through a crapload of different high end amps .

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Quote by Mullet38
Saw said head on ebay too.... nice steal there mate!! Very nice indeed!!

As did I. Fair play, was deliberating putting a bid on that one meself.