Lead is not very environment friendly but it hold up to some extreme temps.
The newer solder joints dont hold up as well as lead.
Thats one of the probs with the Xbox....,but thats beside the point.

I know that the govt has frowned on lead solder joints in electronics.

Has this changed the way anyone buys their gear? Has it influenced any of
you to buy used gear>?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 29, 2008,
Im thinking of checking from now on...im worried about buying a super expensive tube head without lead Soldering.

I just thought it might be a topic worth bringing up..so we can all learn.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I mean, no you're right, lead solder is best for these kinds of things, you need good connections in amplifier circuits, bad connection in an xbox you just get a red ring of death, a bad connection in an amplifier can lead to an electrical fire.
They wouldn't have enforced lead-free solder if it wasn't safer overall than lead solder.

But no, seriously. There's no point striving to buy used. That's ridiculous. Leadfree solder is fine. If anything it has a higher melting point than leaded solder. Alloys.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Funny story I was working on a pedal from the 60's for this guy. After about 2 minutes of soldering I got an instant headache, was light headed as hell and almost past out. Gotta love the 60's for very high lead based solder and no telling what other chemicals.

Needless to say I wont mess with them again without a respirator.

And honeslty I woudlnt worry to much about the solder being used but more so about how its applied. If you have a bad connection and cold solder joint it doesnt matter what solder you used your asking for issues. So just get an amp that is proven reliable and you should be good to go. Example Peavey 6505 vs Bugera 6260 same solder but one of them is a lemon...

And a side note the buying used thing probably came from the international free trade agreement more so then the lead solder debate. Before 1996 alot of things were built better with better quality parts so alot of people try and get amps made before the switch to crappy overseas parts after the trade aggreement was signed.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Funny story I was working on a pedal from the 60's for this guy. After about 2 minutes of soldering I got an instant headache, was light headed as hell and almost past out. Gotta love the 60's for very high lead based solder and no telling what other chemicals.

Needless to say I wont mess with them again without a respirator.

And honeslty I woudlnt worry to much about the solder being used but more so about how its applied. If you have a bad connection and cold solder joint it doesnt matter what solder you used your asking for issues. So just get an amp that is proven reliable and you should be good to go. Example Peavey 6505 vs Bugera 6260 same solder but one of them is a lemon...

And a side note the buying used thing probably came from the international free trade agreement more so then the lead solder debate. Before 1996 alot of things were built better with better quality parts so alot of people try and get amps made before the switch to crappy overseas parts after the trade aggreement was signed.
Ehh i'm pretty sure lead poisoning is permanent and long-term, not to mention you'll be lucky to absorb solid or liquid lead It'll be the other chemicals.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Ehh i'm pretty sure lead poisoning is permanent and long-term, not to mention you'll be lucky to absorb solid or liquid lead It'll be the other chemicals.

Actually it was the fumes that hit me (and I have been known to hold a piece of solder in my mouth from time to time while im working on something that required both hands lol), eventually I need to get a ventilation system for as much as I solder...