I was persuaded by a friend to purchase a bass guitar. Problem is, I am 5'3". so Should I get a short scale bass guutar (in that case would be the 30" Hellcat VI) or thinneck bass (likely Ibanez)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Jazz bass! They have thin neck and are easy to play!
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Get whatever bass is best for you. Size shouldn't be any limit to playing a bass you like. With good technique you can play any bass you want.

This. Over and over and over.

And choosing between short scale and long scale shouldn't be about the length of the scaler- it should be about the tone- I find the general tone betwen the two rather different. It isn't about being "small person friendly."
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Get whatever bass is best for you. Size shouldn't be any limit to playing a bass you like. With good technique you can play any bass you want.

This is it really, i'm an average height person, however i have fairly small hands for a bass player but i can still play my 6 string quite easily, technique is the most important thing, i'd recommend you go and try some out, all of my basses are full scale ones, so if you really have to compromise a thin neck will allow you to move a little faster perhaps
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
I'm about 5'9", and I started playing at about 5'2", with a Yamaha starter pack bass. Now I'm playing a 5 string SX Jazz bass, and its on a short scale. Considering it's 5 strings, the neck isn't too wide, and I manage pretty well. When I first played my Yamaha it seemed huge, but after playing some real basses, it seemed very small. At any rate, like the others said, try things for yourself, and see what fits you.
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
My hands are rather small-ish, especially for a bass player, but as already stated above, technique is the most important aspect.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986625

Here. I did a whole thread on this. Small hands and frame are not an issue. Go for the bass you want and that feels good for you and has the tone you are looking after.
definitely try out everything cuz i had a short neck epiphone for a while, but then i got a jazz bass and the tone's a hell of a lot better, and there's not a humongous difference between short neck and regular. so i'd go with a thin neck, but really its just personal preference
Thin necks are really not going to help you considerably if you are small handed. The fret difference is non-existent and if you use your thumb behind the neck properly and use good technique, the difference between a thin and thick neck for smaller hands is really not significant.

Like our larger handed brethern, its all down to what you personally find comfortable in a neck. I love my Ibanez with its fast thin neck, but I love the hefty chunkiness of a MIA Precision as well.
Quote by anarkee
Thin necks are really not going to help you considerably if you are small handed. The fret difference is non-existent and if you use your thumb behind the neck properly and use good technique, the difference between a thin and thick neck for smaller hands is really not significant.

Like our larger handed brethern, its all down to what you personally find comfortable in a neck. I love my Ibanez with its fast thin neck, but I love the hefty chunkiness of a MIA Precision as well.

this. I have somewhat big hands and I like relatively flat necks, I can take whatever, but I just like that feel a little more.

after you reach good technique, any bass should feel alright as long as it is of good quality.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If a 6'7" fat guy can play mandolin any tiny person can play bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Look at Flea, he's a tiny dude, but all of his basses are regular full scale

You should be fine with whatever, but I guess I'll suggest a short scale
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Jestersage
I was persuaded by a friend to purchase a bass guitar. Problem is, I am 5'3". so Should I get a short scale bass guutar (in that case would be the 30" Hellcat VI) or thinneck bass (likely Ibanez)

question: do you want to play bass?

i was just reminded of a description of a band which says 'the guitarist who is silently fuming as he was pushed into playing bass'. Which is not good: bass is a completely differant bass.

Personally, i would look at shorter scale basses if your only 5'3. But, if your getting it from a guitar store, it would hurt to try a few larger ones / differant shapes out would it?

Good luck
I'm 5'4" almost 5'5" and when I started my dad suggested getting the thinnest neck possible; at first it was OK but after actually working on my left hand position, I realized nothing was more uncomfortable for me. It really doesn't matter how big you are, just make sure it's comfortable.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
I know a kid who's not even 5' and handles any bass just fine. It's all technique, man.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
When I started playing bass I was 4'11 or so, and I played a regular sized bass just fine. You get used to it.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I'm only an inch taller and I play regular basses. You can play whatever instrument you feel with proper technique.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
this chick I dated was like 4'10'' and she played jazz on a normal sized p-bass, so unless you have freakishly short arms you should be fine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm