Hey longtime since I've posted on here haha, basically I gigged with the marshall JCM900 a few weeks back and it sounded crap and couldnt get enough gain through it even WITH the boss GT8 and the preamp settings, so I decided I'm gonna trade in the marshall and use the rest of my christmas money to get a Randall RH150G3 halfstack, from what I've heard on youtube and whatnot it sounds pretty good for my kind of music, but I've heard it will apparently sound crap with my guitars seeing as they all use active EMG's and solid states/hybrid amps don't really go well with active pickup guitars.

Could anyone give me some advice and shed light onto this situation.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by metallica_death
Hey longtime since I've posted on here haha, basically I gigged with the marshall JCM900 a few weeks back and it sounded crap and couldnt get enough gain through it even WITH the boss GT8 and the preamp settings, so I decided I'm gonna trade in the marshall and use the rest of my christmas money to get a Randall RH150G3 halfstack, from what I've heard on youtube and whatnot it sounds pretty good for my kind of music, but I've heard it will apparently sound crap with my guitars seeing as they all use active EMG's and solid states/hybrid amps don't really go well with active pickup guitars.

Could anyone give me some advice and shed light onto this situation.

It should sound fine, what tone are you going for?

Were you using the GT8's amp modeling?

Do you have the MG cab?
I'm going for a really heavy tone, and yeah my bassist set up all the preamp settings and set it up for me, ran it through the pedal then through the amp, cranked everything up and it sounded crap. And I was running through a harley benton 2x12 cab for that gig but I have an AVT.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Last edited by metallica_death at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by metallica_death
I'm going for a really heavy tone, and yeah my bassist set up all the preamp settings and set it up for me, ran it through the pedal then through the amp, cranked everything up and it sounded crap.

"really heavy tone"... be a bit more specific please? A really heavy tone can be construed into MUSE because it's aggressive and 'heavy', or Opeth is 'heavy' because they are insanely awesome.

Sorry, but you don't want to use amp models through the JCM, and even worse CRANK them. The amp's overdrive channel should be more than enough for most thrash metal.

Again, what's your cab?
Quote by dudey5691
"really heavy tone"... be a bit more specific please? A really heavy tone can be construed into MUSE because it's aggressive and 'heavy', or Opeth is 'heavy' because they are insanely awesome.

Sorry, but you don't want to use amp models through the JCM, and even worse CRANK them. The amp's overdrive channel should be more than enough for most thrash metal.

Again, what's your cab?

Well more hardcore such as Hatebreed and Knuckledust but however Thrash as well, I need it really high gain.

Well I have the sound I want through the pedal but it doesnt come through too well through it apparently, and on its own it sounds crap, its more of a rock amp than for metal tbh.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Quote by metallica_death
Well more hardcore such as Hatebreed and Knuckledust but however Thrash as well, I need it really high gain.

Well I have the sound I want through the pedal but it doesnt come through too well through it apparently, and on its own it sounds crap, its more of a rock amp than for metal tbh.

It can get thrash on its own, and if you need 'heavier' just get an OD or a boost of some sort.

The amp is more than capable of getting the tones you want... what are your EQ settings?

The gt8 isn't a bad pedal, you just don't want to use it in place of your amp's overdrive, unless of course the amp is terrible (it's not in this case).

What is your cab?
Quote by dudey5691
It can get thrash on its own, and if you need 'heavier' just get an OD or a boost of some sort.

The amp is more than capable of getting the tones you want... what are your EQ settings?

The gt8 isn't a bad pedal, you just don't want to use it in place of your amp's overdrive, unless of course the amp is terrible (it's not in this case).

What is your cab?

I said a few posts ago that it was AVT, scroll up damn it!

Would it be an idea to run it through the FX loop if I want the tones from the pedal.

And as I said the gain is really weak on it, if you don't believe me I'll record a video.

And also I set out a question that hasn't even been answered, will active pickups mix well with a SS/hybrid amp?
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Quote by dudey5691

What is your cab?

Learn to read, he said in his first reply to you he had a Harley Benton 2x12 cab.
have you tried boosting the amp with an OD? that mite work, but tbh, i think you simply need to learn to need use ridiculous amounts of gain. theres also a possibility your pickups' batteries are running low
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by bulletrocks522
Learn to read, he said in his first reply to you he had a Harley Benton 2x12 cab.

I wasn't being an asshole, I don't deserve to be treated as such.

That being said, TS's edit was BEFORE the post asking the second time, and after that I didn't think he was getting the point that I need to know. MY BAD.

Quote by Metallica_death
Would it be an idea to run it through the FX loop if I want the tones from the pedal.

And as I said the gain is really weak on it, if you don't believe me I'll record a video.

And also I set out a question that hasn't even been answered, will active pickups mix well with a SS/hybrid amp?

AVT cabs are pretty bad. The HarleyBenton should have had a good sound, considering the V30's.

Hatebreed uses TSL, which have less gain than the 900
Although, I can agree the gain structure is different, the 900 is basically a boosted 800, with gain for modern metal.

Active pickups will affect the sound of the Randall a bit, but not as much as it would as on a tube amp.

^that may be it. Also, it might help to let us know what your EQ settings are? If you can get the sound on your current amp, there's no reason to get a new amp.
Quote by dudey5691
I wasn't being an asshole, I don't deserve to be treated as such.

That being said, TS's edit was BEFORE the post asking the second time, and after that I didn't think he was getting the point that I need to know. MY BAD.

AVT cabs are pretty bad. The HarleyBenton should have had a good sound, considering the V30's.

Hatebreed uses TSL, which have less gain than the 900
Although, I can agree the gain structure is different, the 900 is basically a boosted 800, with gain for modern metal.

Active pickups will affect the sound of the Randall a bit, but not as much as it would as on a tube amp.

^that may be it. Also, it might help to let us know what your EQ settings are? If you can get the sound on your current amp, there's no reason to get a new amp.

Sorry, I didnt mean to come off as an asshole. To TS, i havet played one, but Ive seen clips and heard they were very good amps, and the Plus version doesnt have that bass problem.