g'day g'day
i have marshall JCM2000 TSL60..i'm not super happy with the tone. i dont like the fizzy high end at lower volumes..it only starts going away when i get the master volume up to around 7 or 8, which is brutally loud even with the channel volume only at half..i like that cranked power amp sound, because its so clear. but at band practice my master is only at 4 generally, gig last week and it was 6(should have been louder though) i've realized that i dont really like that marshally tone with fizzy high end sound. i've tried using a hardwire OD pedal in front, and i didnt really like the results. i'm realizing that the tone im after is close to the first guitar music i listened to, which is santana supernatural album. that clear mesa sound. i need more gain than that, the tone i found closest to what im looking for is gizmachi's live tone (atleast whats on the Ozzfest 10th ann. DVD) so, should i look into buying a new amp? or would an EQ pedal help? i'm 15, and i keep thinking im over reacting about tone when i have a plenty good amp, and should focus on honing my songwriting and playing skills instead...is a new amp worth it? i could prolly get 1000 for my tsl, and ive got about 600 right now. willing to go over that. we'll say a loose 1600 budget(head only) needs very good cleans, clear distortion....i'm willing to save for something so long as its exactly what i want. willing to sell my jackson, i dont use it that much, it doesnt suit me.
thx in advance.long post,i know lol
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I like where you are. If you decide on changing amps,

Try some lower quality mesa's, The F-30 would be perfect for you.
Guitarwise..I can't really help you there. An amp change is a much bigger change so That's priority. An EQ will help you a lot as well. I've been through enough Which EQ? threads that if you are gonna buy one, get the MXR 10 band. That or a sniper modded Boss GE-7
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
For a good santana tone use his amp, a mesa nomad 100 head, a music-playing contact of mine got one for himself, and he didn't stop talking about how much blessed that amp was for a week afterwards, for 1600 you should have more than plenty enough for the head and maybe even for a cab. The amp's very hard to deal with at first though, there's a 5 or 6-band EQ to deal with that'S built-in, but once you've got something you like with the footswitch you've got every sound in the channels, maybe just miss an overdrive pedal to boost the volume for lead but anyways, for the tone you can't get closer to it, unless you'd take it custom-shop and have it wired the very same...

EDIT: Anyways if it's too loud you won't be happier with an even-headroomed amp, try some with less headroom, matamp's 20 watts amps have a pretty sweet tone, or any in that range for power-amp cranked sound, they're not really less loud since you crank them more, they just spit juice at the same volume your marshall would only fizzle. You might even try an ABY box, one amp for the drive tone, and another for clean headroom, since 20 watts wouldn't do any cleans at band volume.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Dec 29, 2008,
i didnt read that whole post, its too for me to see in one large paragraph like.
but, if you really want the santana sound, go for either a mesa mark I reissue, or a dumble ODS clone.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i dont quite want santana's tone..its just an example of the clean-ness in the distortion im looking for....to fulltank^ya,i was planning on MXR.i like a lot of their stuff,seems very solid, and ive heard great things about the EQ...
as far the amp stuff, i'd think a mesa markIV would be a good idea..ive had those reccomended to me before, i may be able to track one down..in the used market where i love, theres a fair number of rectifier series amps. would those do me any justice? ive seen SLO100s and Decatones around before, occasional Roadkings, A bogner XTC once(out of price range though)

Edit: to the lad talking about headroom, i'll need something with enough power..at my school i had to dime the master volume (pre's on 5) so, a 20 wont quite do. def. need cleann headroom.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at Dec 29, 2008,
look into orange rockerverbs

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Complicated question with a simple answer...buy an EQ pedal first. If it works then it's all good, if it doesn't then get a new amp and you've got an EQ pedal to play with too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ah.that sounds like a good idea mr.seagull.
while this thread is alive, does anyone have any amp suggestions just in case? for lots of high gain and nice cleans
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
ah.that sounds like a good idea mr.seagull.
while this thread is alive, does anyone have any amp suggestions just in case? for lots of high gain and nice cleans

Well, you could give the Peavey 6505 a try if you get the chance? I'm not sure on the cleans, but it has plenty of gain on tap and if the cleans are good then you're sorted.