Hey guys,

im using a pretty decent chord progression, its a little popular but ive changed it a little,

just need help on what chords/progressions i could us in the verses.

the chorus is basically

(drop d)

E (second fret in drop d) - C - G -D (open strings drop d)

but nothing i can think of sounds "right" with it

i tried E - G - D - A

which sounds pretty good,

but doesnt really fit into the verse

it sounds out of key

if you get me

lol

im not "overly" good at theory

but i can understand it

so you can afford to get technical about your answer

haha
ahah yeah i thought of that first

but i need summat that i can palm mute

coz its like a pop punky kinda song

haha

like a chord progression that would complement the chorus progression
For a verse you could try something like Em - G (this fits pretty well to my ear, but you may need to find a nice voicing for it) - D - B7 (NOT B MINOR!).

You may wanna "borrow" a chord from the harmonic minor scale. It's very common to use chords like a dominant V chord in a minor progression.

Another chord progression that worked was Em - D - G - D. Once again, finding the right voicings for these chords might be somewhat of a trick, but if you do, I'm sure they'll work beautifully. You're aiming for a pretty dark sound, correct? Rather than stacking your typical power chords, try using the third in the bass or something. If I used that progression, I would try and make the root of each chord have some kind of melody working.

Also, try arpeggiating these chords. You don't need to play full chords. You can break them down some. Riffing might work if you want a kind of Avenged Sevenfold sort of sound (they will usually riff away during the verse, and then have some kind of chord progression going on in the chorus). The best advice is to go listen to a few of the songs that you kind of want to replicate. Not copy, but just kind of get an idea of where you want your song to go. You might say, "Oooh, that's a nice kind of effect that creates, going from this to that," and decide to do it in your song.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Glad I could help

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
While page&hammetfan gives excellent advice, I just want to say: don't get too afraid of using a minor V in a minor progression.

Sure, most of the time it will sound craptacularobobtastic, but with a bit of fiddling around it can also be used to great effect. Still, most of the times you're better of with a dominant V.

Just wanted to say that, sometimes you get the impression there's death penalty on minor V.
^
I was saying to use the dominant V chord in this context because I thought that it would fit great. I used a minor v in a chord progression, and then I used a dominant V I think four measures after that? It's not like it's off limits, it's just not as strong. But sometimes you're not looking for that dominant V chord in your harmony. Eventually it starts to sound kinda stale, because it's used in almost every minor chord progression I've ever heard.

^ I agree that the V7 is generally better, but he's writing a pop punk song with power chords. I don't think it's the best option.
^
If it's power chords, then it would more than likely be implied. Also, it worked in the context that I was using it in.