Page 1 of 2
Alright i might move to the U.S. for various personal and other reasons including the UK was meh now its pretty bad with jobs/money/taxes/law and order etc. Im trying to weigh up the pros and cons

advantages

stuff is very cheap
employment/job situation isnt as severe as the UKs (in terms of percentage of the nation unemployed)
Houses are often very large (great for home studios)
Musicians are very good and plentiful
food is better than the UK

disadvantages

Healthcare system
Lack of friends
Psycho rednecks and religious nuts
Guncrime
difficult to get in (got an assault charge 10 years ago after a bar brawl)
difficult to get set up as private guitar teacher (not sure what qualifications are required)
homesickness
insane freak weather

Any americans who have lived in other countries able to comment. If i were to move where would be ideal (want something not too far from a major city but chilled out and suburban)
Last edited by Andr00 at Dec 29, 2008,
Don't Do It!
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Getting charged with assault 10 years ago makes you 28 or so, and you still type like that!?

America can have you.
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
Amsterdamn

So amazing you'll be saying Amster-DAMN!

Amsterdam*
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by rigiddigits
Getting charged with assault 10 years ago makes you 28 or so, and you still type like that!?

America can have you.

its an internet forum not the declaration of civil rights smartarse

im in great britain

i was also thinking of amsterdam actually i love it and could just move...but could i work only being able to speak english? easy to setup as a music teacher?
Quote by rigiddigits

America can have you.

We don't want him... Well he can go to the south, he'll still have a leg up on them anyways.
all the negatives you mentioned depend upon where you live
including the religious nut part
if you live in the boonies, people are typically more passionate about their chosen religious beliefs
but pick a big city, but not a huge one, and go out to the suburbs of that city
you'll be close enough to all the stores and everything in town, but you hopefully wont get all the gangs and noise of the city
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by Bamitchell
Don't Do It!

oh shut up

Quote by Andr00
Alright i might move to the U.S. for various personal and other reasons. Im trying to weigh up the pros and cons

advantages

stuff is very cheap
employment/job situation isnt as severe as the UKs (in terms of percentage of the nation unemployed)

disadvantages

Healthcare system
Lack of friends
Guncrime
difficult to get set up as private guitar teacher (not sure what qualifications are required)
homesickness
insane freak weather

Any americans who have lived in other countries able to comment. If i were to move where would be ideal (want something not too far from a major city but chilled out and suburban)

i'll tell you right now, all of which you just stated depends on where you go. i'd say, if you don't have a great deal of money, don't go to any large city like New York because everything will cost you an arm and a leg. my personal choice would be Boston, everyone is nice there, it's a city so no rednecks, religious nuts are only found in small secluded areas of the country so you won't find them in Boston, and there's a big music school you can go to and become a guitar teacher there where im sure friends would be made during your stay.

i've been there and i can tell you it's a nice place to live, crime isn't too bad there and things aren't as expensive as they would be anywhere else.

however the bottom line is you have to do your own research on these places, don't count on people from UG to give you an unbiased opinion of the US.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Dec 29, 2008,
food is only better if your a fat ****
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
Quote by Waterboy799
oh shut up

i'll tell you right now, all of which you just stated depends on where you go. i'd say, if you don't have a great deal of money, don't go to any large city like New York because everything will cost you an arm and a leg. my personal choice would be Boston, everyone is nice there, it's a city so no rednecks, religious nuts are only found in small secluded areas of the country so you won't find them in Boston, and there's a big music school you can go to and become a guitar teacher there where im sure friends would be made during your stay.

i've been there and i can tell you it's a nice place to live, crime isn't too bad there and things aren't as expensive as they would be anywhere else.

I would have about 40000 dollars when we sell our house (depending on the ****ing exchange rate) i have friends in St Louis but i would prefer somewhere a bit warmer since i live in cold Scotland

Food is fresher and tastier in most other countries than here.
Quote by Andr00
I would have about 40000 dollars when we sell our house (depending on the ****ing exchange rate) i have friends in St Louis but i would prefer somewhere a bit warmer since i live in cold Scotland

Food is fresher and tastier in most other countries than here.

^ you think scotland is cold... Buddy you're headed for the south.
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
Amsterdamn

U.S dude not america well were are you going to live and i'll give you a more pacific opinion.
Quote by wizards?
^ you think scotland is cold... Buddy you're headed for the south.

i thought California was considered a northern state?
1. Health care system

Yep, our privatized system is probably a bitch if you're used to the free health care in the UK.

2. Lack of friends

You'll make new friends. Contrary to popular belief, there are a lot of friendly people here if you know where to look.

3. Psycho rednecks and religious nuts

As long as you stay away from the Deep South/very rural areas, these are few and far between. Even if you do live in a rural area (as do I) the rednecks and religious nuts will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

4. Gun crime

It isn't as bad as the BBC would have you believe. As long as you don't move into a gang neighborhood or try to rob someone, it's unlikely you'll be shot, even on accident.

5. difficult to get in (got an assault charge 10 years ago after a bar brawl)

That may be quite an obstacle.

6. difficult to get set up as private guitar teacher (not sure what qualifications are required)

I've had words with the local shops about their requirements and they say as long as a person has 10+ years of experience and an adequate knowledge of theory, they can teach.

7. homesickness

We get BBC America!

8. insane freak weather

As long as you stay away from San Fransisco and the Southeastern Coastline you'll be OK.

Oh, and don't buy a mobile home in the plains region, either.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Andr00
I would have about 30000 dollars when we sell our house (depending on the ****ing exchange rate) i have friends in St Louis but i would prefer somewhere a bit warmer since i live in cold Scotland

$30,000 won't buy you a house, but it would be enough to rent out an apartment or dorm if you plan on going to school.

if you have a friend in St. Louis then i suggest you go there. your friend will be able to show you around and tell you what to do and what not to do in the area. it's the best way to familiarize yourself with the city...and it has decent weather.

if you stay in the city you'll have no problem with any rednecks or religious type folk, but honestly even if you did run into them i assure you, you won't have any problems with them anyway. most people (on this website) think that they're people to be afraid of, they're really not.

Quote by Andr00
i thought California was considered a northern state?

it is, the weather in California is damn hot.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by dudetheman
1. Health care system

Yep, our privatized system is probably a bitch if you're used to the free health care in the UK.

2. Lack of friends

You'll make new friends. Contrary to popular belief, there are a lot of friendly people here if you know where to look.

3. Psycho rednecks and religious nuts

As long as you stay away from the Deep South/very rural areas, these are few and far between. Even if you do live in a rural area (as do I) the rednecks and religious nuts will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

4. Gun crime

It isn't as bad as the BBC would have you believe. As long as you don't move into a gang neighborhood or try to rob someone, it's unlikely you'll be shot, even on accident.

5. difficult to get in (got an assault charge 10 years ago after a bar brawl)

That may be quite an obstacle.

6. difficult to get set up as private guitar teacher (not sure what qualifications are required)

I've had words with the local shops about their requirements and they say as long as a person has 10+ years of experience and an adequate knowledge of theory, they can teach.

7. homesickness

We get BBC America!

8. insane freak weather

As long as you stay away from San Fransisco and the Southeastern Coastline you'll be OK.

Oh, and don't buy a mobile home in the plains region, either.

Sounds good man, actually i dont think i would get in due to the assault charge thing ( i headbutted someone repeatedly for racially abusing a friend of mine) so possibly amsterdam is my easiest option.
Quote by dethead666
U.S dude not america well were are you going to live and i'll give you a more pacific opinion.
Amsterdam isn't in America...
Quote by rigiddigits
Amsterdam isn't in America...

Canada is in North America is it not?
Stay away from the northeast--nothin but liberal pussies, pretentious assholes, and the like.

Stay away from the deep south and south east-nothin but jesus's-****-suckers, pretentious assholes, and the like

Midwest is alright, West is alright, southwest is alright.

Northwest blows

Dont worry about gun crime unless you hang out with bad people, or in dangerous neighborhoods.

Weather depends on where you live. The US is such a giant place its really easy to live in whatever climate you want.

I'd have to recommend Tennessee, Arizona, Colorado, Missouri.

Any city pushing 1,000,000 people is bound to have nice neighborhoods, good music scene etc. Just do your research.
Quote by Waterboy799
$30,000 won't buy you a house, but it would be enough to rent out an apartment or dorm if you plan on going to school.

if you have a friend in St. Louis then i suggest you go there. your friend will be able to show you around and tell you what to do and what not to do in the area. it's the best way to familiarize yourself with the city...and it has decent weather.

if you stay in the city you'll have no problem with any rednecks or religious type folk, but honestly even if you did run into them i assure you, you won't have any problems with them anyway. most people (on this website) think that they're people to be afraid of, they're really not.

it is, the weather in California is damn hot.

actually i think it would be about 30000 pounds which would be 50 grand USD obviously we would rent until sometime taking a mortgage
go to Canada instead ,... : free health care , and we are welcoming everyone that isn't a stupid prick
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by Andr00
actually i think it would be about 30000 pounds which would be 50 grand USD obviously we would rent until sometime taking a mortgage

oh i thought you meant 30,000 in USD. well i don't know too much about housing outside of New York, but i do know it's less expensive than what it is in New York.

Quote by bender424
go to Canada instead ,... : free health care , and we are welcoming everyone that isn't a stupid prick

the health care isn't free, people pay for it through taxes.

and it's called universal healthcare.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Andr00
Sounds good man, actually i dont think i would get in due to the assault charge thing ( i headbutted someone repeatedly for racially abusing a friend of mine) so possibly amsterdam is my easiest option.

Weed and hookers! Hell yeah!

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by bender424

yeah my gf'ds parents moved to halifax but they are having job problems and i really dont want to deal with that cold
the Red Light District in Amsterdam is closed now, so what's the point in going there.

you could go but you'll have to sex your hookers in private like everyone else now.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
the Red Light District in Amsterdam is closed now, so what's the point in going there.

you could go but you'll have to sex your hookers in private like everyone else now.

its not closed, and its better to have a country where you can get decent hash without having bits of plastic and crap in it, and im not into hookers yet but my hometown also has brothels anyway
most of the cons you mentioned, except for healthcare getting and and friends) largely depend on where you live. There are are no government qualifications for being a private guitar teacher (at least not where I am) you just need to convince people to hire you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by dethead666
**** i thought it was in canada or are there two different Amsterdams?

there are probably a few towns in North America called Amsterdam, but the one everyone talks about is in Holland.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Andr00
its not closed, and its better to have a country where you can get decent hash without having bits of plastic and crap in it, and im not into hookers yet but my hometown also has brothels anyway

a 3rd of it was closed. i read it a long time ago and forgot it was only a 3rd not the whole thing.

hey where i live in new york plenty of people have plenty of hash with minimal amounts of plastic
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

please stop making these topics about moving to america... it just leads to fruitless hate by people from Europe... just because they believe what is told to them through their sources.... yes America is not perfect.... nothing is... and our government needs some changing...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Quote by BGrem261
please stop making these topics about moving to america... it just leads to fruitless hate by people from Europe... just because they believe what is told to them through their sources.... yes America is not perfect.... nothing is... and our government needs some changing...

...i don't think anyone has posted hate about america yet.
Quote by Andr00
Alright i might move to the U.S. for various personal and other reasons including the UK was meh now its pretty bad with jobs/money/taxes/law and order etc. Im trying to weigh up the pros and cons

advantages

stuff is very cheap

disadvantages

Healthcare system
Lack of friends
Guncrime
homesickness
insane freak weather

WAT
im sorry i didnt bother reading it, but it usually ends up with President Bush as a picture trying to say that we all think like him...
"You've got to trust your instinct
And let go of regret
You've got to bet on yourself now star
'Cause that's your best bet" - 311
Page 1 of 2