I was just wondering that what you guys think would be the best fingering to use with scales in certain situations. like if i play basic scales and theres a three note per string pattern, (eg. frets 3-5-7 on the lowest string) which fingers should i use? 1,2,4 fingers or 1,3,4?
until now ive used my first, second and pinky in these situations, but ive realized it's really hard playing like that while standing, especially while playing on higher frets. which fingers do you people use?

i hope someone understands what im saying its quite hard to explain with words
i was taught to use 1-2-4, but sometimes use 1-3-4. the beautiful thing about music is that there are no rules. play however is most comfortable, even if that means playing slap-slide-banjo-with-your-dick.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
I generally use 1, 2, 4. To me it is easier to stretch between the first and second finger than it is the third and fourth.
"I am a remnant of the Forever Origin"

"The forest of October sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time hides my last trace
My blaze travel the last universe
Like the sights of magic
Wrapped in aeons
My mind is one with my soul"
Last edited by Starforsaken at Dec 29, 2008,
depends what you're doing before and after (and also affects it when improvising). if you come from some chords say 1-3-4 may be easier. i have to say that higher up the neck i often go for 1-2-3 then you can use your pinky higher up still for switching positions etc.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
the problem is that when im practising in a classical stance 1 2 4 is the most comfortable but if i stand i cant use that fingering in many cases, especially on the high frets and lower strings.
Raise your guitar up and tighten your strap. When standing your guitar should be in the same position as when you are sitting.
"I am a remnant of the Forever Origin"

"The forest of October sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time hides my last trace
My blaze travel the last universe
Like the sights of magic
Wrapped in aeons
My mind is one with my soul"
I don't believe there's any particular advantage to one over the other. I've always used 1-3-4 personally.
I use 1-3-4 just whatevers more comfortable for you. and raise your guitar definitely
Learn both, that's what I'm doing.

Versatility and adaptability are king.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Depends what position it's being played in. If it's lower on the neck I will use 1-2-4 fingers, and if it's higher up on the neck I will use 1-3-4. Really, it should just be whatever is most comfortable for you though.
Depends, I usually go in a linear pattern. Like I would use my pointer(1), middle(2), pinky(4) for -1-2-4-, But For a pattern like -1-2-3- I would go Pointer(1) Middle(2) Ring(3).

For your -3-5-7- I would go pointer(3), Ring(5), Pinky(7). But I might do something else depending on what the rest of the scale is...
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Jan 1, 2009,