What is the difference between screamo and metal guitar tone?

From what I can tell, screamo is a crunch with an OD in front, to give it a modern hardrock sound. Where metal is more saturated and has less clarity when playing more of the complex chords.

Underoath uses a screamo tone, where Bring Me the Horizon uses a metal tone

right?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
...are you stupid?

It's very clear I'm talking about screamo vs heavy metal guitar tone
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
By definition metal is distortion on the guitar.

The only thing that separates screamo and hardcore, and metal; is quality. Screamo and hardcore sucks, metal is epic and makes you head bang, not wear tight pants.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

The only thing that separates screamo and hardcore, and metal; is quality. Screamo and hardcore sucks, metal is epic and makes you head bang, not wear tight pants.

I'm talking about the TONE that goes with each genre not the genre itself.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
personally i believe its all the elements of the music together to define which is which
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
"Screamo tone" in general is a slightly less ballsy, more smooth version of metal tones.
Quote by Maggot3000
personally i believe its all the elements of the music together to define which is which

This is very true.
But either way they are suited by slightly different general tones.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Dec 29, 2008,
^ you're the first person to actually contribute to the thread

rats off to ya
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Screamo is more muddy.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Metal is sooo horrible.
Just a bunch of noise.

Only power metal is epic, fagtard.

The tone is really up to the individual bands and guitarists, not an entire (sub)genre.
Once people begin to figure that out, this thread will be closed.
Quote by huevos
Metal is sooo horrible.
Just a bunch of noise.

The tone is really up to the individual bands and guitarists, not an entire (sub)genre.

Power metal is... *gasp* METAL. Retard. And if you think it's noise, you suck at metal and need to titsorgtfo.
Quote by sargasm
You guys need to chill

It seems like screamo is lower gain, and as someone said before, less ballsy.
I think screamo tone is annoying, but I like a few metal tones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by touji-za-nai
...are you stupid?

It's very clear I'm talking about screamo vs heavy metal guitar tone

I'm sorry, but you are obviously the stupid one here.

There is no set tone to each specific genre.

You can take two "screamo" bands and compare them side by side and theres a chance that their tones will be a complete 180 from each other.

The same applies to metal, and to any genre for that matter.
96.7% of the time they're awful.
Quote by starsnostars
Quote by joe124
I heart god speed you! black emporer

not enough to spell their name right.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

TREMOLO PICKING CRESCENDO CZAR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by huevos
Metal is sooo horrible.
Just a bunch of noise.

Black metal is epic too, dude.

There's really not much difference in the tones. I guess screamo probably has more power tube OD with the preamp tube OD, for a more rock-ish sound. Metal is preamp tube gain all the way, and it's not always muddy. Listen to Necrophagist and Most of Children of Bodom's earlier stuff.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm sorry, but you are obviously the stupid one here.

There is no set tone to each specific genre.

You can take two "screamo" bands and compare them side by side and theres a chance that their tones will be a complete 180 from each other.

The same applies to metal, and to any genre for that matter.

+203798273587

/thread
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
+203798273587

/thread

Sorry, but I will have to disagree slightly with this. In my listening experiance, I have found that alot of screamo actually do have a slightly more rockish sound whereas metal sounds a hell of alot more saturated. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and screamo/metal is no different. Just saying that for the most part, I have found that screamo is more vocals and feel, whereas in metal it seems the guitars hold more of a center stage, along with vocals.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Power metal is... *gasp* METAL. Retard. And if you think it's noise, you suck at metal and need to titsorgtfo.

who cares if Power Metal is metal or not its ****ing epic and its good music.

On Topic: Screamo seems to have less distortion than metal. more of a crunch tone
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Quote by Shinozoku
Black metal is epic too, dude.

There's really not much difference in the tones. I guess screamo probably has more power tube OD with the preamp tube OD, for a more rock-ish sound. Metal is preamp tube gain all the way, and it's not always muddy. Listen to Necrophagist and Most of Children of Bodom's earlier stuff.

Misery Signals is a good example too, they use a lot of "pretty" notes if you know what I mean.

children of bodom, I wouldn't be able to tell.. They don't use much strumming vs speed picking (not shredding)
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Lets stop hating, ok meow?

Metal in general is "ballsier" and more punchy high gain.

Screamo has a smoother lower gain to it, with a little less punch.

The precendented were the guitar tones, not the genres.
Now this can be over.
the main difference is post production and song mastering. Most metal bands probably have a similar tone to most hardcore bands. btw underoath is not screamo.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by huevos
Metal is sooo horrible.
Just a bunch of noise.

**** you and shut your dickhead ****ing mouth. This is the Gear forum, not the Band and Artist forum. If you wish to bash metal, and get ****ed at the same time, head to the Metal forum.
Wow. Some serious douchebaginess in this thread. I'm not sure if this made my evening more entertaining or simply wasted a few minutes of my life.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
the main difference is post production and song mastering. Most metal bands probably have a similar tone to most hardcore bands. btw underoath is not screamo.

underoath when from metalcore to screamo to brutal nonsense. i preferred the bottom of that parabola; the way old stuff and new stuff sucks.
Hm, I think that metal has in general a low amount of power tube distortion (in part to high-wattage tube amps extremely high headroom) but a TON of preamp gain, which is why many bands use Mesa boogie Triple Rectumfriers (lol) or Peavey 6505/6505+/Triple XXX, or Diezel, Bogner, or VHT (now called Fryette Amplification).

Screamo tends to have some powertube breakup but not as much as say classic hard rock, but still quite a bit of preamp gain.

We have to remember they're probably EQ'd differently too.

Quote by a7xrocks02
**** you and shut your dickhead ****ing mouth. This is the Gear forum, not the Band and Artist forum. If you wish to bash metal, and get ****ed at the same time, head to the Metal forum.

Oh, and *reported*
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 29, 2008,
oh my god.

i think this is the worst thread i have ever read in my entire life.

besides the fact that none of you have ever even heard of a real screamo band, the topic at hand is utterly ridiculous.

you are trying to compare something as intricate and detailed as GUITAR TONE between two immense "categories" of music.

GUITAR TONE CHANGES DURING SONGS - LET ALONE BETWEEN SONGS, BETWEEN ALBUMS, BETWEEN BANDS, BETWEEN ****ING GENRES.

jesus christ.

it is people like you that make me a cynic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
and that guitar tone change is mostly due to mixing and mastering.

both metal and hardcore bands use 5150s and rectos, but they sound different on the records. There may be different EQ's or maybe some gay-ass pedal infront of an amp that already has enough drive on tap, but mic/mic placement/preamp/eq/compression/etc... affects the studio guitar tone more than a different EQ.

I don't even know what kind of gear real screamo bands use.
My band.

My gear.
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
BMTH is definetley not metal. A metal tone would be a metallica o Megadeth tone. Underoath isnt screamo either. Screamo would be Senses Fail. The difference is metal has more gain and less mids.
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
and that guitar tone change is mostly due to mixing and mastering.

both metal and hardcore bands use 5150s and rectos, but they sound different on the records. There may be different EQ's or maybe some gay-ass pedal infront of an amp that already has enough drive on tap, but mic/mic placement/preamp/eq/compression/etc... affects the studio guitar tone more than a different EQ.

I don't even know what kind of gear real screamo bands use.

most bands whether they are metal or screamo, that USE a screamo tone will often be found playing through a jcm 800/2000 vs the naturally more brutal Triple Rect, or 5150..
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
when I think of metal I think of At the Gates and In Flames. When I think of screamo I think of Circle Takes the Square and Saetia. Senses Fail is post hardcore
My band.

My gear.
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
What the hell is this the pit.
Honestly nobody cares about you and your little genres
Genres in heavier music are only for people who have to classify themselves for stupid reasons
There should be only 4 genres. Thrash, Modern Metal, Classic Metal... and everything else is ****.

Screamo emo whatever the hell it is.... Every band will have their own tone... unless wait... Is it really that bland that bands have the same damn tone!? OH JOY!
Music today... man it has deteriorated.
Quote by touji-za-nai
What is the difference between screamo and metal guitar tone?

From what I can tell, screamo is a crunch with an OD in front, to give it a modern hardrock sound. Where metal is more saturated and has less clarity when playing more of the complex chords.

Underoath uses a screamo tone, where Bring Me the Horizon uses a metal tone

right?

Quote by `digitaL.braVo

So much fail.

Underoath is not screamo. BMTH is not metal. Old man pants are 'emo', tight pants are for scenekids. Hardcore sucks? Metal's been ripping it off unashamedly since the early 80s and you've never heard a real emo band. </spazz>

Anyways, if you mean traditional emo and not emptiveemo**** then there isn't much difference in tone between most 'screamo' and metal... for that matter crust punk, screamo/skramz, grindcore, most metal, most hardcore, metalcore have more similarities in tone between bands of different genres then between any two bands of the same genre, necessarily.

Take two heavy bands with similar gear odds are they're going to have similar tones, even if one plays skramz and the other thrash metal. The way the songs are structured and written can create huge differences in the way the tone is perceived.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
You guys are stupid. stop saying "underoath isn't screamo" and "the bands will all have their own unique sound"

well NO **** they have their own unique sound, but they all have a basic similarity... just like classic rock has a similar crunch tone, or post-rock has melodic clean guitars.

Even though I wouldn't list underoath as a screamo band, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THEIR TONE NOT THEIR MUSIC. They use JCM 800s with ODs in front and not 5150s which gives them a smoother, less saturated sound.

stop being ****in' stupid and talking about the genre itself acting like you're the ALL KNOWING ****
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
They use JCM 800s with ODs in front

Making them just like Slayer, Converge and Megadeth.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2