Ok, so im thinking of returning the C-1 Elite i bought for christmas and getting something different.
Should i get a 7? I've been looking into them and i think they might be interesting.

Is it worth it or will it throw off all ive done, since im really accustomed to 6s. And would the added B really be worth going for?

My price range would be around $500 USD if anyone would have any suggestions.

Thanks

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I recently (3 days ago) started playing a 7 string.It was odd for maybe an hour then I got used to the string spacing and neck and now I love it.The extra string adds a whole new set of possibilities with chords and riffs and the low end is great.I'll be selling off a couple 6 strings soon to fund a high end 7 string like an Ibanez J custom or the Ernie Ball JP 7.The neck isn't as bad as people make it out to be,I can shred on mine and I have pretty small hands and fingers,just make sure that the model you get has a comfortable neck profile for your hands.

I don't know about others,but I can play all my six string material on my 7 just fine.If you're in the market for one you should look around for an Ibanez 7 string or a schecter since they make a couple models in your price range,you might have to go used though.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 29, 2008,
Im not worried about the width of the neck, more about the thickness. Ive been playing an Ibanez for a long time now and i love the thin necks, i cant stand the thick neck on my Schecter.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Im not worried about the width of the neck, more about the thickness. Ive been playing an Ibanez for a long time now and i love the thin necks, i cant stand the thick neck on my Schecter.

Then get an Ibanez 7 string maybe? Same thin neck as the 6 string models. I know they make 7 string versions of the RG and S series as well as a lower end Korean version of the Korn signature model.If I remember right there are a couple older MIJ 7 string RG's on Ebay that are in your price range right now.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i wouldnt mind going used. just finding it would be the problem.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX

Is it worth it or will it throw off all ive done, since im really accustomed to 6s. And would the added B really be worth going for?

I've considered 7 and 8 string guitars, but haven't gone for one yet.

However, I'm pretty sure the lessons you learned on the 6 string will still be applicable to using a 7, at least in some form.

Think of it like playing in a new tuning- which it is, really- and you'll probably pick it up pretty quickly.

Personally, I play in 2 very different tunings. Because I'm not a pro who practices several hours a day, going back and forth between them takes a little time for me to adjust.

But I haven't unlearned the stuff that I learned in standard tuning. It just takes me a few extra minutes of warmup to remember what chord shapes are available to me in standard tuning.

I imagine that it would be much the same going to a 7 or 8 string. You might not be able to switch back and forth between your 6 and your 7 with impunity, but you should be able to handle it.
id go for a 7, the only reason why i havent is cause i havent found one that appeals to me, but anyways the only downfall a 7 string is the wide neck but its easy to get used to, the plus side is that you increase your octave scale to a 4th instead of 3 like 6 strings have,

well you have 4 if you have 24 frets, so if you get a 24 fret 7 string you have 6 octaves i think.....
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Last edited by heretic-clown at Dec 29, 2008,
what i'm afraid of is it throwing me off with the B, and the lack of people using 7s, and the fact that tuning from standard to something like drop C (to play certain covers) is nigh impossible.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by MakeItWitChu
what i'm afraid of is it throwing me off with the B, and the lack of people using 7s, and the fact that tuning from standard to something like drop C (to play certain covers) is nigh impossible.

I thought the 7th would thrown me off too when I was playing on the 6th string while in drop D.It turns out that having to adjust my picking habits to accommodate the 7th string has made my picking a lot cleaner and more accurate on the 6th which is great since before it was a bit sloppy.I honestly don't know why more people aren't using 7 strings.it might be the thought of a wider neck that makes them shy away or the fact that in recent years the 7 string has been labeled as a metal guitar or something for insane down tunings,which it can be used for,but isn't limited to.I use mine for metal,blues,jazz,and a couple other genres and it handles them all very well.

Think of it like this,for working to get used to the wider neck and adjusting your picking habits for the extra string you get a whole new set of options and possibilities in your music.It's a great trade off IMO.

thats another reason why people dont like using 7's simply for the fact that the B string throws people off, i played my friends 7 string he has a Schecter Revenger 7 diamond series and for dropped tunings i told him to just ignore the B string and tune the rest the way you want to... it took me about 30 min to get used to the B string being there
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by Pr0gNut
I thought the 7th would thrown me off too when I was playing on the 6th string while in drop D.It turns out that having to adjust my picking habits to accommodate the 7th string has made my picking a lot cleaner and more accurate on the 6th which is great since before it was a bit sloppy.I honestly don't know why more people aren't using 7 strings.it might be the thought of a wider neck that makes them shy away or the fact that in recent years the 7 string has been labeled as a metal guitar or something for insane down tunings,which it can be used for,but isn't limited to.I use mine for metal,blues,jazz,and a couple other genres and it handles them all very well.

Think of it like this,for working to get used to the wider neck and adjusting your picking habits for the extra string you get a whole new set of options and possibilities in your music.It's a great trade off IMO.

people are F'Tards when it comes to 7 string guitars stating that only NU-metal bands use 7 string guitars...but like i said....there F'Tards
There are several pros playing 7s, like the guys in Korn and Dream Theater, for example. And Charlie Hunter (and several others whose names escape me at the moment) plays 8s.

And you should be able to find a tuning that works for you within a few weeks or so.
Quote by heretic-clown
people are F'Tards when it comes to 7 string guitars stating that only NU-metal bands use 7 string guitars...but like i said....there F'Tards

Yeah it ridiculous.I bet these people have never sat down with a 7 and played some blues or jazz on the neck pup and realized how awesome it is to get an almost bass like sound mixed in with your smoother higher note licks.Granted,it is sweet to down tune it and throw on some high gain just for that bone shaking power,but they aren't limited to that at all.Why don't 5+ string basses get the same flack that 7+ string guitars do?It's basically the same exact concept.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Yeah it ridiculous.I bet these people have never sat down with a 7 and played some blues or jazz on the neck pup and realized how awesome it is to get an almost bass like sound mixed in with your smoother higher note licks.Granted,it is sweet to down tune it and throw on some high gain just for that bone shaking power,but they aren't limited to that at all.Why don't 5+ string basses get the same flack that 7+ string guitars do?It's basically the same exact concept.

Very true, people are going to be engulfed in the media and only see that Nu-metal bands use 7 strings so it just "HAS" to mean that ONLY nu metal bands use 7 string. and that their favorite guitarist only uses 6 string so a 7 string must ONLY suck...eh im done i can go on and on but im done
Quote by heretic-clown
Very true, people are going to be engulfed in the media and only see that Nu-metal bands use 7 strings so it just "HAS" to mean that ONLY nu metal bands use 7 string. and that their favorite guitarist only uses 6 string so a 7 string must ONLY suck...eh im done i can go on and on but im done

That is sad but so true hahaha.So many people miss out on the chance to expand their playing and add new depth to their music simply because of pre-conceived notions and what others say.Oh well,their loss I guess,I can say that after making the switch to 7 I don't really see myself going back to 6,I'd feel like I was limiting myself without the extra string.

If you do decide to go for 7 strings, I would definitely look at used guitars.

The cheaper 7 strings I've played had ridiculously muddy pickups - they were especially poor at picking up the lowest notes.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
what kind of music do u play?

if you want to play music of bands that play 7 strings then go for it, especially if u have another guitar which is 6 string. but if you're playing songs that don't use 7 strings then its kind of a waste in my opinion.

but again a 7 string is pretty neat and u can drop it to drop A and that is super fun too!

maybe thinking of a baritone guitar would be helpful.... but im not sure if ibanez makes any baritones anymore... in which case you'd have to look for a used ibanez baritone.

i know esp/ltd and schecter make them but you're not into the schecter necks so there goes schecter and im pretty sure esp/ltd necks are similar.
Finally remembered which band I was thinking of...the guitarist in High on Fire uses an 8 string.