My brother hit me off with some loot for Christmas. I got about $300 and I would like to get some quality effects.

I'll list my current gear and some of my musical influences and I would appreciate the assitance in picked out a good pedal or two or a decent multi effects pedal.

Thanks guys.

Gear:

-EPS Eclipse II with SD JB/59
-Fender HSS Mexican Strat (stock for now but will upgrad the pickups and probably add a coil splitter to the humbucker)
-Ampeg 50w Superjet 12T (just had it retubed and rebiased it has a nice built in reverb and tremolo--not a great amp for tons of distortion)
-ZOOM GX1 multi effects pedal (bought it on a whim I guess its decent for the zany stuff)

Musical influences/stuff I try to play
-Hendrix
-SRV
-RHCP
-Nirvana
-ZZ Top
-Pearl Jam
-GnR
-60's Motown and rock
-Smattering of metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and the likes)

I like more styles than that, but thats kinda my focus or sound right now. Anything bluesy works too. Ive been really looking at the Visual Sound line. I actully was hoping my wife was gonna suprise me Christmas morning with a Jekel-n-Hyde pedal, but alas....

So for now, I dont need the whole kit and kaboodle since I have the GX1 and a pretty good reverb and tremolo, but I would like a quality pedal or two that does what its supposed to do and do it well.

Im thinking a good wah, a rock/bluesy distortion or fuzz.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Axe Murderer at Dec 29, 2008,
Fuzz or Overdrive would probably be one of your choices. Since you said your amp's distortion isn't too great.
an eq pedals and a good overdrive. i just got my hands on a h.b.e. power screamer and love it.
A good fuzz (Big Muff Pi is my personal favourite) a good OD (Dgitech Bad Monkey is cheap and decent) and maybe a wah if you can afford it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by mmjohn
an eq pedals and a good overdrive. i just got my hands on a h.b.e. power screamer and love it.

Ah, yeah, I was looking at a tube screamer a few weeks ago...

Overdrive creates that broken up sound correct? The amp I have breaks up real easy. Go past number 4,5 on the volume and its there. What else does overdrive do, or am I way off?
It depends on what you want to dedicate to each pedal, but I love my RMC Picture wah for the same stuff you play. It's $200 new, but you may find one used. For an OD, find a tubescreamer or tubescreamer clone. Maybe a ts9 and mod it to true bypass and ts808 specs, or get the buildyourownclone.com tubescreamer copy, if you need to keep it around or under $100.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by a7xrocks02
Just a question for ya, where do you put your Zoom? Do you run it into the guitar input? Do you run in into the effects loop return? Do you run your guitar into the guitar input and put the Zoom in the loop?

Well the amp only has two inputs, guitar and accordion. Supposedly the accordion is for high output instruments.

I run a cable from my axes to the ZOOM input, then from the ZOOM output to the guitar in on my amp. Im not sure of any other way to do it. Pretty straight forward.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Well the amp only has two inputs, guitar and accordion. Supposedly the accordion is for high output instruments.

I run a cable from my axes to the ZOOM input, then from the ZOOM output to the guitar in on my amp. Im not sure of any other way to do it. Pretty straight forward.

Aye. Thanks.
ok, so you say your amp breaks up around 4 or 5 on the volume knob, but the question becomes, do you like the way that sounds? if you do, then i dont think you need an eq or maybe not even an overdrive pedal right now. what you need to do is set the volume to that point where it starts to overdrive, then use the volume knob on your guitar to roll back the volume when you want cleans. that can give you some nice cleans and nice od. then you have your reverb and tremolo, so its time to focus on the wah and fuzz.

as kyle mentioned, RMC makes some nice wahs. price can be a bit up there, but they do sound good. fulltone is also known to have good wah pedals, and budda budwah is supposed to be nice as well. those go for a range of prices, anywhere from the budwah at $160 to the fulltone deluxe at $290 and the rest in between.

the if you want a fuzz, well its hard to help someone pick out a fuzz. there are sooo many fuzzes on the market that have their own distinctive sound. i would start with looking for a silicon fuzz and look to spend at least $100 if not more for something really good.
Quote by jof1029
ok, so you say your amp breaks up around 4 or 5 on the volume knob, but the question becomes, do you like the way that sounds? if you do, then i dont think you need an eq or maybe not even an overdrive pedal right now. what you need to do is set the volume to that point where it starts to overdrive, then use the volume knob on your guitar to roll back the volume when you want cleans. that can give you some nice cleans and nice od. then you have your reverb and tremolo, so its time to focus on the wah and fuzz.

as kyle mentioned, RMC makes some nice wahs. price can be a bit up there, but they do sound good. fulltone is also known to have good wah pedals, and budda budwah is supposed to be nice as well. those go for a range of prices, anywhere from the budwah at $160 to the fulltone deluxe at $290 and the rest in between.

the if you want a fuzz, well its hard to help someone pick out a fuzz. there are sooo many fuzzes on the market that have their own distinctive sound. i would start with looking for a silicon fuzz and look to spend at least $100 if not more for something really good.

It sounds good enough when pushed. Nothing stellar, but its workable. Yeah, I probably dont need an overdrive as I was thinking.

Perhaps I'll just do a BOSS DS-1 Distortion, a V2Fuzz and a Wah.
Don't get a distortion. If you are getting anything like that, get an OD instead.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...