Well im making a 2X12 cabinet to go along with a peavy valveking 100 head (not 100% set on this yet, still deciding)

my question- what are some fairly inexpensive ($50-80 max) speakers that would work with it? if any for that price.

sorry for amp noobyness

edit- i googled and i found some speakers but im not sure if they're right for the set up
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
what ohm your looking on the speakers?also were you located?

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by Nagashiro
what ohm your looking on the speakers?

considering the valveking can be set for 4,8, or 16. then whichever you think would work best for me.

and this will be for mostly my home and gigs in a medium sized auditorium.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

are you in usa?

yup, sure am
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I would suggest for you to go to craigslist and ask for beginners amp and that you will pay 30$ for it, you could get some nice offers of beginners fenders amps with 10" and 12" speakers in them, go on the net and find out what OHM do does models have and use does you can always switch them for better ones as time passes if you feel you need better higher quality and sell the practice amps back.

anyways that's just me and my DIY guitar setup thinking, but hey 2 fender speakers for 60$ or less not bad heh?

ill check that out, i noticed some $40 (i think) fender speakers on guitar centers website.

what watt should i be looking for?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

that i have no idea, i would wiki that if i was you.

I had made cabs before out of other old amps and never had any problems or bother to check with what or how many watts, but you should get another opinion on this

50W or higher, since each will only be handling half the load. The closer to 50W they are the more speaker distortion you'll get at higher volume, so if you don't want speaker distortion you should go for some 100W speakers or something.
Quote by Mike-T93
50W or higher, since each will only be handling half the load. The closer to 50W they are the more speaker distortion you'll get at higher volume, so if you don't want speaker distortion you should go for some 100W speakers or something.

so if i get 50s i cant play clean?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

you can play clean but not at high volumes, it would sound really nice if your head is tube i love that tube distortion

Quote by Nagashiro
you can play clean but not at high volumes, it would sound really nice if your head is tube i love that tube distortion

so if the two 50s wont blow up with it that means four 25s could work too?

i only want to do two but i felt like asking anyways
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Yeah, pretty much. So long as their RMS handling is the same as the amp's RMS handling.
woah... what is RMS?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Is that what you want to spend for each speaker? If so I'd go for some Warehouse Veteren 30's. Awesome speakers for valvekings.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
im checking those out, what would be the difference between how a 8 and a 16 ohm would sound?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I like the Eminence Private Jack and Governor speakers in their Redcoat line, but I don't know if you want British sound. They're about 90 a piece, so pushing it a bit.
Quote by Mike-T93
I like the Eminence Private Jack and Governor speakers in their Redcoat line, but I don't know if you want British sound. They're about 90 a piece, so pushing it a bit.

im mainly looknig for something that will work with effects well, and will distort without losing the tone of the guitar.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Look up Dave Avatar and then buy 2 Hellatone speakers from him. Hellatone are Celestion speakers that have gone through a "breaking in" process and I believe they cost about $80 (the brand new Celestions are about $150).

I would recommend a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60. the 30 is a Celestion G12H-30 and the 60 is a Celestion Vintage 30. I actually like the G12H-30 better, but it does not have as much output, so I'd get one of each.
Quote by Pontius2000
Look up Dave Avatar and then buy 2 Hellatone speakers from him. Hellatone are Celestion speakers that have gone through a "breaking in" process and I believe they cost about $80 (the brand new Celestions are about $150).

I would recommend a Hellatone 30 and a Hellatone 60. the 30 is a Celestion G12H-30 and the 60 is a Celestion Vintage 30. I actually like the G12H-30 better, but it does not have as much output, so I'd get one of each.

i googled and found nothing, or do you mean a member of UG?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
im checking those out, what would be the difference between how a 8 and a 16 ohm would sound?

There's not really a difference in sound between impedences. I prefer them over Celestions because they don't have that mid spike.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by conor1148

It's not about tone difference, it's about what your amp requires.

If your amp needs a 16 ohm cab attached, and you're using a 4x12", it makes sense to use 4 16 ohm speakers, because you can wire 1 pair in parallel to get 8 ohms, wire the other pair like that, and then wires the pairs in series with each other, to get 16 ohms.
This way, if you got a fullstack, you could wire the cabs in parallel to get an 8 ohm impedance, which pretty much every head will also take.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^He's talking about Dave, on avatarspeakers.com.

Why are you set on the Peavey VK 100? It's a spectacular amp, and if I HAD to buy a VK, I'd just go for the 112 combo. Spending more than that would mean I have the cash for a better amp than the VK.

well i was going with the head because i can get the materials to make the cab (excluding speakers) for free, and i really enjoy building things like nonspeaker cabinets, shelving, etc.

what other combo would you suggest? for around $600
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
well i was going with the head because i can get the materials to make the cab (excluding speakers) for free, and i really enjoy building things like nonspeaker cabinets, shelving, etc.

Either a Bugera of some sort (People say they suck and are unreliable, that's just untrue. They have an amazing warranty, and 90% of all problems are caused because either a) they didnt listen, and they never tightened the screws inside the chasis, and a part fell out and broke or b) they didn't listen and they never biased the tubes <- is the leading cause of messed up Bugera's.), or a B-52 AT 112.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
any otheres? im checking those out
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148

Check out a Randall RG50TC.

used Mesa F-30, used Mesa F-50. You could get a Peavey JSX head for around 600-700 dollars, off eBay. Then build your free cab.
when buying used what should i look out for?

like things that could be broken on it
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

2 60w speakers that will give you enough headroom because the head is 100w
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by conor1148
when buying used what should i look out for?

like things that could be broken on it

ask them when the tubes were last replaced. If it wasn't in the last year or so, ask them to knock down the price around 30-50 bucks.

Obviously, try it out, see if there's any excessive noise, make sure the level of gain is fine, no volume fluctuations..
so how easy is it to find tubes for a specific amp? and is it easy to replace

just a what if, say if i find a amp thats really cheap because it doesnt have tubes or something
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
so how easy is it to find tubes for a specific amp? and is it easy to replace

just a what if, say if i find a amp thats really cheap because it doesnt have tubes or something

it's simple. I highly recommend www.thetubestore.com

you can email them the type of amp you have and the type of sound you want, and they'll give you the tube recommendations. I picked out some tubes and told them I wanted more clean headroom in my Fender Blues Deluxe (whoever said these amps have sparkly clean tone out of the box was a liar) and they recommended me some tubes that were actually $50 CHEAPER than the tubes I had picked out. The Tube Store is top notch.

replacing tubes isn't a problem at all. but if your amp uses, say, 2 power tubes and 3 preamp tubes, it's going to probably cost close to $100 to replace them all. also, don't know if your amp has an adjustable bias control for new tubes, so that's something to consider too.

somebody recommended a Mesa F-50. I was thinking about buying one of those used. which is more versatile, an F-50 or an Express 5:50?
Last edited by Pontius2000 at Dec 30, 2008,
thanks for that link.

im still deciding on a head though
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.