Poll: Best les paul (or copy)?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best les paul (or copy)?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
23 52%
Samick Avion 6 (or 7)
1 2%
Agile AL-3000
14 32%
PRS SE Custom
13 30%
Voters: 44.
Please answer the poll and give explaination if you can.

Hey its arzon. This will be my first thread.(Now actually second)

I have recently become interested in electric guitar. I've decided that les paul was my
guitar. Which of these les pauls (or copies) do you think is the best:

EDIT: Can't Afford a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

1) Epiphone Les Paul Custom
2) Samick Greg Bennett Avion 7 (or 6)
3) Agile AL-3500 Prestige
4) PRS SE Single cut

I am guessing they are all in around the same price range, though the agile is much cheaper. I welcome all comments, but please, mention how much experience you have with each guitar.
examples: I have played 1,2, and 3, but never heard of number 4.

Posted this a couple of times on yahoo! answers but they don't know what they are talking about there. If you have other recommendations, please do make them. But I would prefer les paul.

Thanks!
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Last edited by Arzon at Dec 30, 2008,
So im confused you can afford a PRS but not a gibson?

Anyway Ive heard good things about the agiles and PRS
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
paul reed smith has a reputation for really good quality. ive heard that high end epiphone are better than low end gibson in terms of quality control.

other than that i really wouldnt be able to help you. if you have that big a price range for an expensive PRS you might wanna shoot for a used gibson or a gibson les paul studio. i just got a studio myself and its the only guitar ive ever played that i felt made my playing better
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Isn't the PRS custom only $600 at musicians friend?
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by Arzon
Isn't the PRS custom only $600 at musicians friend?

yup, or less.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
yup, or less.

Damn my bad then I thought it was alot more but TS I can recommend guitars all day but ultimatley its up to you on what you think is best.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Damn my bad then I thought it was alot more but TS I can recommend guitars all day but ultimatley its up to you on what you think is best.

+1

play all of them. pick your favorite. if you can afford any of them just pick your preference. if people give you **** whatever, you can't go wrong with your own preference.

just make sure if you take it this seriosuly to check for buzz and **** like that. a friend of mine bought a gretcsh the other day and returned it the next day cause she didnt check it for buzz in the store and when she went home and plugged it in it was buzzin like hell
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
The SE custom is great. You just have to find one with no quality issues and you're set.
Quote by atla18
+1

play all of them. pick your favorite. if you can afford any of them just pick your preference. if people give you **** whatever, you can't go wrong with your own preference.

just make sure if you take it this seriosuly to check for buzz and **** like that. a friend of mine bought a gretcsh the other day and returned it the next day cause she didnt check it for buzz in the store and when she went home and plugged it in it was buzzin like hell

Yeah exactly check for that most stores offer a warranty with free or discounted repairs for a full year (at least my local guitar store does on all theirs)
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
personally id say the epiphone custom they sound good and higher quality then ur basic gibson les paul even tho id pick nearly all those over the gibson except the samick (i had a bad experience with one)
Keep On Keepen' On
my trinity river LP.

blows em all away. jk. i say get a high end epiphone. i heard they are better than a low end gibson.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
why an SE Custom but not an SE Singlecut? The Singlecut is the LP style...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
thats what I ment. You can tell im a newb.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by JessyB96
personally id say the epiphone custom they sound good and higher quality then ur basic gibson les paul even tho id pick nearly all those over the gibson except the samick (i had a bad experience with one)

What? No.

The epi LP custom is an LP standard with the double binding, bound headstock, etc.

Any Gibson Les Paul sounds and plays better than an Epi LP Custom/ Standard. I know, I have an epi standard and every Gibby I've played was better.

And the PRS SE sound much better than the Epi guitars. The Epi pickups are terrible.
I went with Epi Custom, I have one myself but you really ought to go try all these before you buy one of them.
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Traynor YCV40 Custom Valve Combo Amp
Crybaby GCB-95 Wah
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Digitech RP-50
epi prophecy gx
i got one yesterday, it fuking rules
really nice to play
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
1 sucks balls, haven't played 2 and 3, 4 is okay.

If you want something good for cheap you should either go with 4, or get an Epiphone Standard LP and replace the horrid stock pups. The Standard isn't any worse than the Custom, actually. You will need to try the specific Epi you're going to buy though, because Epi's quality control is iffy.

Maybe look at Vintages, they're just as good as Epis (but qc is more reliable) and the pickups are better, too.

You can also get an Ibanez ART which is better imo than an Epi and replace the pups, too. Those guitars are of higher quality than the current Epi line-up imo:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518066X
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ART300-Electric-Guitar?sku=518065

If you are willing to spend that much money and don't mind the somewhat odd looks, you can get an Ibanez ARX500 for 700$ It is an all around better guitar then the ones that have been mentioned so far. The stock pups are really nice:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ARX500-Electric-Guitar?sku=512348

Quote by Mike!
What? No.

The epi LP custom is an LP standard with the double binding, bound headstock, etc.

Any Gibson Les Paul sounds and plays better than an Epi LP Custom/ Standard. I know, I have an epi standard and every Gibby I've played was better.

And the PRS SE sound much better than the Epi guitars. The Epi pickups are terrible.

+1
Finally someone who understands me!
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 30, 2008,
An Epi LP is going to be the best choice they are the only true licensed Gibson LP copy available. Gibson oversees all of the production in the Epi plant in China that makes just Epis. It's funny because I think they take great care in QC over there than they doi here at the actual Gibson plant. Most other LP copies are made in plants that make every other brand of LP copy so those are pretty much all the same.

I would go with Agile next they make great LP copies for the dough the korean made ones are the best in the line sometimes they tell you where they are made but the Chinese made ones I have tried have been pretty good.

I played a few of the low end PRS guitars and wasn't very impressed IMHO there is a huge gap between the low enp PRS and the high end ones. They are still better than a lot of other brands out there though.

You need to play some guitars though if your not very sure what you want. The problem with Agile is you have to take the chance because they don't sell them in stores unless they are used. Epis are getting more and more consistant, even more consistant than a lot of Gibsons I have played. I used to thin Epis were hit or miss but lately they seem to be all the same. The Prophecy line seems to be dead on one plays just as good as the other some of the most consistant guitar lines I have played in a long time. The LP is a little out of your price range though unless you can score one used. The SG might be more in your range is your not stuck on the LPs.

I used to collect Gibsons and I am very dissapointed in the lack of QC they seem to be stuck in. I actually never liked Epis until recently the more of them I play the more I like them. I own several now and they rock. If your just starting out and really don't play just try guitars out to get a feel of what is comfortable in your hands.

I never even seen or even tried any Samicks in a store so I can't really comment on those.

If you look around you might be able to score a used Gibson LP for about 600 or 700 bucks. Just be carefull and watch out for Fake Gibsons cheap.

John
Quote by Mike!
What? No.

because its impossible that your guitar wasn't the best epiphone les paul standard on the line that day
Quote by captaincrunk
because its impossible that your guitar wasn't the best epiphone les paul standard on the line that day

Do you know how many Epis I've played before choosing mine? Over 20.
Mine is great for a 500$ guitar, but you can't compare them to Gibsons.

I know many people with epis tell themselves that they are as good as Gibsons ( I was the same), but after you played so many Les Pauls ( Gibsons and Epis), you'll feel and hear the difference.

The problem with Gibsons is that many of them don't come with a good setup. I must admit that I find more Epis that come well set up that Gibsons, but the Gibson is still a better guitar, because you can adjust the setup yourself after you buy it.

Now, are the Gibson Les Pauls worth the price you pay for them? That's a different story.
Quote by captaincrunk

I've played a lot of Epiphones and a lot of Gibsons.

Despite what people say about them being overpriced etc, Gibson Les Pauls are a hell of a lot better than Epiphone ones.
ESP Eclipse II, its the best
"Love doesn't exist and I'm not picking on love, because I don't think friendship exists either"

GEAR:
Caparison PLM-3
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Gretch A/E G3700
Soldano SLO 50w clone
BUMP

probably not getting ESP, cause my best friend has it and i don't want the same guitar as him.

Most people who are saying the epiphone never heard of any of the others, so I am probably going to get:

Agile AL-3000 HSBF
Peavey Vypyr 15 (or maybe 30 if i can find cheap used).

continue posting though. Thanks
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by Mike!
Lots of words about Epi vs Gibson

Total, utter bull****.

Epiphones and Gibson are both in the same boat. The vast majority are awful. A select few are fantastic. Quite a number are merely average at best.

You absolutely can not stand by any kind of sweeping statement like all Gibsons are always going to be better than any Epi Standard (or the reverse, it equally applies both ways). I have played countless crappy Epiphones, I have played countless crappy Gibsons (many of which, for the record, were worse than the typical bad Epi). I've also played some very average examples of each brand, and I've come across a few good ones from each brand.

Even then, Epi still wins out because I've played four good Epis in my life and only ever one good Gibson. You weigh up the odds.

And before you say it again, no, it's not just a case of a dodgy set-up or some such. When frets are overhanging the fretboard, when bridges are misaligned, when finishes have bubbles, when inlays have gaps or have ridden up, when nuts aren't properly cut and misaligned, when electronics have dry connections right out the factory, when the rear route plate can't even screw in properly because the rear route wasn't made the right size, that is when you have a bad product. And you know what? All of those problems, are problems I've had with Gibsons. When an Epi's bad, it's just generall all-round cheap materials and so forth. When a Gibson is bad, they've really ****ed up - which seems to be an awful lot of the time.

As far as the OP topic goes, Vintage, Rally, Tokai, ESP, I guess Agile too if you're in America. Job done.

And in case you can't tell from what's written half an inch below, this is all coming from someone who has spent thousands on Gibson and Epiphone products. So no, I'm not just some bitter nubbin who can't afford Gibsons, and yes, I do know what I'm talking about.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Custom FTW

I know you said you couldn't afford a studio, and this is almost the same price, but believe me, its the best les paul you're gona find for under $3000. IF you can get the cash id highly recomend it. If not though, you should play several guitars and see what you like best.
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Quote by MrFlibble
Total, utter bull****.

Epiphones and Gibson are both in the same boat. The vast majority are awful. A select few are fantastic. Quite a number are merely average at best.

You absolutely can not stand by any kind of sweeping statement like all Gibsons are always going to be better than any Epi Standard (or the reverse, it equally applies both ways). I have played countless crappy Epiphones, I have played countless crappy Gibsons (many of which, for the record, were worse than the typical bad Epi). I've also played some very average examples of each brand, and I've come across a few good ones from each brand.

Even then, Epi still wins out because I've played four good Epis in my life and only ever one good Gibson. You weigh up the odds.

And before you say it again, no, it's not just a case of a dodgy set-up or some such. When frets are overhanging the fretboard, when bridges are misaligned, when finishes have bubbles, when inlays have gaps or have ridden up, when nuts aren't properly cut and misaligned, when electronics have dry connections right out the factory, when the rear route plate can't even screw in properly because the rear route wasn't made the right size, that is when you have a bad product. And you know what? All of those problems, are problems I've had with Gibsons. When an Epi's bad, it's just generall all-round cheap materials and so forth. When a Gibson is bad, they've really ****ed up - which seems to be an awful lot of the time.

As far as the OP topic goes, Vintage, Rally, Tokai, ESP, I guess Agile too if you're in America. Job done.

And in case you can't tell from what's written half an inch below, this is all coming from someone who has spent thousands on Gibson and Epiphone products. So no, I'm not just some bitter nubbin who can't afford Gibsons, and yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

Then I guess I have to play more Gibsons, because I've never seen any of those problems on a Gibson before.

Anyway, IMO, if you have over 2000$ to spend on a guitar, don't even bother looking at Gibsons, Fenders, etc.
Quote by Mike!
Anyway, IMO, if you have over 2000$ to spend on a guitar, don't even bother looking at Gibsons, Fenders, etc.
This post suggests you've never actually found one of the really good Gibsons nor a good Custom Shop Fender.

Overall it sounds like you need to go play a helluva lot more guitars before you form your opinion. Not liking/really liking a certain brand is fine, but you're making sweeping statements all over the place.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.