I've been renting an acoustic guitar from my local guitar store, where I've also been taking lessons, for a few months now and I want to finally buy a guitar. I'm thinking electric would be the way to go for since I most of the music I'm playing is normally played on an electric guitar (rhcp, coheed and cambria, incubus, nirvana etc.) I'm thinking since my budget is around $500 - 550 total for an amp and a guitar that I'll get a Roland Micro Cube amp for $125 (I only need it for practice I'm not going to be gigging or anything) and either a Fender Tele or a Strat, or an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. I can get one of the fenders for about $400 or the epiphone for about $300.

I'm probably going to go to Guitar Center later this week. When I do that I'll actually get a chance to play them and see what I like better but I'd like suggestions of what else to check out in my price range while I'm there. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.
Defintley get the cube they are great amps check out an Ibanez RG or S series as well
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by TatarSalad2
Listen to Lethal Dosage. He's very knowledgeable.

I'd suggest an Ibanez RG350EX

thanks, I love my ibanez and I always suggest people at least give it a shot who knows you might fall in love with them like I did
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
You should sig that

I tried an Ibanez RG4EX1 and I wanted to have sex with it in the store! I bought it and took it home and we're going steady.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try. Anything else like other brands that I should look at or specific models. Also things that I should watch out for when I try the guitars out?
Give Dean's Epiphone's, and Jackson's a try as well. I love my Dean ZX.
And don't try a guitar on a Spider amp. Try it on a Fender or Raven or something along those lines.
Quote by KeineZeit
Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try. Anything else like other brands that I should look at or specific models. Also things that I should watch out for when I try the guitars out?

Other than that just try the standards ie les paul, strat, etc. Just pick it up and see how it feels to you and if you are comfortable playing it. Check your sound through an amp and without as well I usually try out different licks both on the high strings and low just to see how the pups handle it.

On a side note defintley try to negotiate on price but if they absolutley wont budge then back off. Try to get them to throw in a hard case for the guitar as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Just +1 to the Ibanez recommendation, I picked up an Ibanez S520 for $509 from GC last weekend . And things to watch out for...any obvious structural damage and stuff. The floor model I played had a chip on the neck joint as well as a broken tone knob. Haha. I ordered one from warehouse though, so it's all good. Just make sure you like how it plays.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
I am basically in love with Ibanez guitars, but I'm not sure I would recommend one here. You are probably used to a thicker neck by now, so I would say a Les Paul might be more comfortable. Ibanez guitars have the thinnest necks imaginable. They're built for shred.

I much prefer the tone and feel of Stratocasters over Les Pauls, however. I think a MIM Fender would suit you well if you like how it plays.

Quote by KeineZeit

Compare the sound of the guitars using the same exact model amplifier. Don't try them on a cheap solid state either. Pick something where you can really hear the differences.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Dec 29, 2008,
I agree they are built for shred they take some getting used to as I used to play a strat copy before my RG but once you get past that they are amazing
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I agree they are built for shred they take some getting used to as I used to play a strat copy before my RG but once you get past that they are amazing

But he is already used to a thick acoustic neck. I guess he just has to play a few.

Believe me, I love those guitars just as much as you do.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Only on UG do you get a recommendation for Ibanez no matter what TS wants to play. "rhcp, coheed and cambria, incubus, nirvana etc." Three of those I know for sure Fender would be a wise choice (2 for sure played them, I dunno about Incubus). Ibanezes tend to be more metal oriented (Coheed and Cambria is metal right?), but wouldn't do too fabulous on the RHCP- not that there is anything wrong with it.

My point is that 4/5 out of the people in this forum tend to be metalheads who suggest either Ibanez or ESP for everything.
Quote by voteforpedro36
Only on UG do you get a recommendation for Ibanez no matter what TS wants to play. "rhcp, coheed and cambria, incubus, nirvana etc." Three of those I know for sure Fender would be a wise choice (2 for sure played them, I dunno about Incubus). Ibanezes tend to be more metal oriented (Coheed and Cambria is metal right?), but wouldn't do too fabulous on the RHCP- not that there is anything wrong with it.

My point is that 4/5 out of the people in this forum tend to be metalheads who suggest either Ibanez or ESP for everything.

Not to start a war here dude but ummm I play CLASSIC ROCK not metal I recommended it because of the easy playabilty and they are actually very versatile guitars.

Quote by Reds3031
But he is already used to a thick acoustic neck. I guess he just has to play a few.

Believe me, I love those guitars just as much as you do.

Yeah my recommendation was not for him to just go buy one right away it was to at least give one a try if he doesnt like it fine but at least you tried it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Hey, I suggested Ibanez, Dean, Epiphone, and Jackson because I've had experience with them. I have never played a Fender before so of course I wouldn't suggest one.
Some Coheed songs lean more towards the metal side like Gravemakers & Gunslingers but then there are much calmer songs like the Light and the Glass. I like listening to some metal but I'm not really too into playing it.
Yeah, generalizing an Ibanez suggestion as coming from a blind metalhead is kinda unfair, please don't do that again. Same as above, I have experience with an Ibanez - of course I'm going to recommend it. And they really are versatile guitars. They may not have single coils, but they're very good quality for the money.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
I want to say a MIM fat strat. Comfortable to hold, not too expensive, the 9* radius is good very comfortable for chord work. It is a short neck so the notes are easy to reach and the neck is bolt on so if it breaks he can easily replace the neck.
Quote by KeineZeit
Some Coheed songs lean more towards the metal side like Gravemakers & Gunslingers but then there are much calmer songs like the Light and the Glass. I like listening to some metal but I'm not really too into playing it.

He is also playing nirvana, incubus, and rhcp which all use fender guitars.

I'm gonna say a fender with a roland 15w cube.
try as many guitars as u can when you're there to see which one fits you best.

if you're gonna get a fender i suggest getting one with at least one humbucker.

i recommend trying a Godin Freeway or Godin Redline... they are very nice guitars for pretty cheap and best of all are made in USA/Canada which is pretty sweet.

a Godin Freeway Classic was my first guitar and I have never regretted that purchase for a second, totally worth it.
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I try to get a free case or something how should I go about that? And what do I need to know about cables for the guitar and amp?
Quote by KeineZeit
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I try to get a free case or something how should I go about that? And what do I need to know about cables for the guitar and amp?

All you really gotta do is ask them if they would include a hardshell case with the guitar, most shops will if you ask. Just get a decent cable for now you dont really need a top of the line cable to start with.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
In my experience,

The Fernandes Ravelle X
http://www.amazon.com/Fernandes-RVL...r/dp/B0019VPVX0

Certain Dean EVO's
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_M...ean+evo&x=0&y=0

The Dean Cadillac X
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_M...sprefix=dean+ca

At least one kind of Ibanez Artcore
http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-Artcor...30607890&sr=1-3

And the Malden Stiger SH-2
http://www.maldenguitars.com/stiger.htm

Should all be decent electric guitars for under $300USD. Any one of those lines has some good guitars for just a little extra $$$, except Malden.
MiM Fat Strat.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Alright I went to guitar center and another guitar store nearby it today. I honestly didn't like guitar center all that much. They had a great selection of guitars and amps but there were quite a few people playing all at once with the amps turned up so unless I was in the acoustic room I could hardly hear anything. I tried out all the guitars that I was looking at for purchase and all of them felt good to me and all of them were pretty good quality for the price and had no noticeable defects.

I liked the strat the least of the four that I tried out. I liked the feel of the Telecaster the best, the Ibanez Rg350ex and the Epiphone les paul studio both felt good but I like the sound of the epiphone a bit better. There were a couple of acoustic guitars that I had wanted to try out but neither place that I went to had them (Epiphone Dove and Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RA.) The Ibanez looked the coolest of the four though.

Thanks for the help, I'm not sure which one I'll ultimately choose but I'll probably make the choice sometime in the next couple of weeks.
PRS SE series...

*cough*
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks