Decided to fill everyone in on the transparency mod I did to my Bad Monkey since I have gotten quite a few requests lately.

As you can see modding a bad monkey can be a pain, because pretty much everything is surface mount. But there is a few things you can do to enhance it.

Ok now for the mods...

You can change C5 (.047uf) to a .1uf(mids cut) or .15uf(more mids cut) More cut equals more transparency. Since its a Tubescreamer clone as you know it has a slight mid hump this mod takes that out of the picture. Digitech did a good job of removing most of it but this takes it the rest of the way.

To this...

Also you can change out C11 (22uf) to a 1uf if you would like to increase the bass on the pedal. I found the pedal to have plenty of bass on tap in the first place so I just left it alone.

And lastly for cosmetic purposes I thought a yellow led looked alot better in the already green and yellow pedal I slapped in a yellow led.

Hope yall enjoy the info. Its a quick easy mod and works great especially if you are using it as a clean boost..

Quote by pak1351

Maybe it should be in the building/customizing forum, but thanks. Definitely something worth looking into down the road.

Was going to throw it in there but the guys asking about it never go in there. So hopefully a few of the guys asking about it get to see it before it gets lost in the mound of killswitch how to's and can I put a floyd in this mayhem...
haha, i know what you mean. I bookmarked the page for later, just got one of these and haven't even plugged it in yet. And with our clever bumping in the guise of a conversation, it can stay on the first page
Nice job.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by pak1351
haha, i know what you mean. I bookmarked the page for later, just got one of these and haven't even plugged it in yet. And with our clever bumping in the guise of a conversation, it can stay on the first page

There great pedals for there price and its stood the test of time for me which is rare. I go through pedals like crack

Lol actually as late as it is, usually it stays on the front page for quite some time anyway.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Nice job.

Thanks
Very cool!

Can we hear it in action?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I expect you had a schem in order to do this?

...Could you PM it to me/post it?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by dudey5691
Alright, so my assumption of you doing the "badder monkey" mod was right!

Is the difference really that noticeable?

I actually dont know what his mods are but yea from his discriptions its pretty much the badder monkey minus the additional gain. And I take it he is doing the bass mod and passing it off as badder bass drive. Its crazy how steep his prices are I was doing these mods for a whole lot cheaper.

Yea it actually makes a pretty big difference, I can turn the pedal on and you can hardly even tell I engaged it you just get the added boost.
jebus

the SD-1 is tons easier to mod, the bits are much bigger
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by AdamDK
Nice work Ibby Psycho. +1 to what Steve said and for the record...

SD-1 > Bad Monkey

Really, no.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by AdamDK
Nice work Ibby Psycho. +1 to what Steve said and for the record...

SD-1 > Bad Monkey

No, i've tried both (and owned an SD1). And stock, the BM is better all around.
The SD1 is more moddable though, so that could be a big plus.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I actually dont know what his mods are but yea from his discriptions its pretty much the badder monkey minus the additional gain. And I take it he is doing the bass mod and passing it off as badder bass drive. Its crazy how steep his prices are I was doing these mods for a whole lot cheaper.

Yea it actually makes a pretty big difference, I can turn the pedal on and you can hardly even tell I engaged it you just get the added boost.

Yeah, what you did is basically what the Badder monkey is, except you didn't have the Bass boost.

I know who you're referring to, and you're right, his prices are WAY too steep.
Quote by darkarbiter7
No, i've tried both (and owned an SD1). And stock, the BM is better all around.
The SD1 is more moddable though, so that could be a big plus.

I prefer the SD-1 stock. But it's just my opinion.
Ah. I just felt that the BM was more natural sounding than the SD1.

Anyways, I wonder if a mod like this would work well on the Screamin Blues.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by dudey5691
Yeah, what you did is basically what the Badder monkey is, except you didn't have the Bass boost.

I know who you're referring to, and you're right, his prices are WAY too steep.

Yup, for close to the same cost Keeley reworks tubescreamers and replaces a good bit of the circuitry. This guy replaces 2-3 things max adds on a huge sticker price and calls it as day.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Ah. I just felt that the BM was more natural sounding than the SD1.

Anyways, I wonder if a mod like this would work well on the Screamin Blues.

Its possible there all pretty close circuit wise, crack one open and see what she looks like on the inside..

Quote by MrCarrot
I expect you had a schem in order to do this?

...Could you PM it to me/post it?

Sorry man, Digitech keeps there schematics on lock down I've tried a number of times to get my hands on one. If I can get my hands on one in the future i'll be sure to shoot you over a pm.

But yea, this mod was one of those scour the internet for any type of info you can find then put the pieces together. Add in a bit of trial and error and there ya go. Also its a similiar mod I do on tube screamers and being there based on the same circuit it wasnt that hard to figure out
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 30, 2008,
nice
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thanks IP, you should post a video on youtube showing installation of these and I am tempted to change the LED on most of my pedals now!

Edit: What size LED would i require for boss and Digitech pedals?

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Last edited by Lycan_Ste at Jan 2, 2009,
Bump for IbanezPsycho.

How easy is it to change caps on Digitech pedals?

I want to give mine (Grunge) a smoother sound and get rid of that trebly harshness.
Also, i want to install a super bright blue LED.

HELP!!

(This is if i dont manage to sell it...but i think im gonna hang on to it for now and see if i can do this.)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035243
Oh go to hell.

I just plugged in my Grunge, and honestly, it's a pretty decent pedal.
Tweaked right, with some Noise reduction, it can get some kickass sounds.

Harshness is still there a bit though....and i REALLY want a pedal with a blue LED.
Quote by Lycan_Ste
Thanks IP, you should post a video on youtube showing installation of these and I am tempted to change the LED on most of my pedals now!

Edit: What size LED would i require for boss and Digitech pedals?

Tubescreamers, Digitech are 5mm and Boss are 3mm

Quote by unet
Bump for IbanezPsycho.

How easy is it to change caps on Digitech pedals?

I want to give mine (Grunge) a smoother sound and get rid of that trebly harshness.
Also, i want to install a super bright blue LED.

HELP!!

(This is if i dont manage to sell it...but i think im gonna hang on to it for now and see if i can do this.)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1035243

Caps are pretty easy along with the led as long as your familiar with soldering and de-soldering. As for everything else that is surface mounted good luck on that one
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jan 15, 2009,
Thanks IP i ripped my Death Metal pedal apart then saw that it was soldered so i wont be changing it but thanks!

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Tubescreamers, Digitech are 5mm and Boss are 3mm

Caps are pretty easy along with the led as long as your familiar with soldering and de-soldering. As for everything else that is surface mounted good luck on that one

Well i can't change anything else, so...

Anyway, if i put in a brighter blue LED, will there be resistance isssues?
Also, can i just solder a diode in parallel to one already mounted?
And also, how the hell do i open the damn pedal?

Also, one mine is open, if i upload pics, can you help figure out which caps to change to reduce harsh trebleness?
Undo the screws then undo the washers that hold the input output in then gently lift. Sorry if this is vague but its 1 am.

anyone try modding a 2 tier'd rotary switch with dfferent cap values in place of the transparency mod?

I figure I could do that and have a Mid Boost, Stock, Transparent 1, 2, 3, selector.
got any soundclips for this?
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

how do you add gain for this?
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

stupid quick replys...

Im about to mod my BM and I was wondering if the brand of the caps (Mallory, Orange Drops, etc..) would affect the tone of the pedal.

What caps did you use for the mod???

Would really appreciate an answer
Last edited by BlazeBee at Oct 18, 2015,
Your first reply was deleted because this thread is seven years old, OP hasn't even logged in for two. Please make a new thread if you have questions.