Since i got my new guitar (Gibson les paul studio) ive felt like my playing has just gotten.... idk. better.

i was at my band practice today and my other guitar player noticed. We jammed a few of our usual chord progressions to mess around on and i just seemed more spot on than normal.

Has anyone else ever played a guitar that they felt just improved their playing?
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Yeah when I got my RG I felt my playing improve I think that the thing is that when you get a new guitar it inspires your playing more so therefore you are gonna play better
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I think that the thing is that when you get a new guitar it inspires your playing more so therefore you are gonna play better

+1

i was about to say the same thing.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Yeah when I got my RG I felt my playing improve I think that the thing is that when you get a new guitar it inspires your playing more so therefore you are gonna play better

i definitely see that im inspired. i havent been able to put it down for more than twenty minutes. if im in my house and they let me near that case its over.

it was kinda funny. normally when we jam i avoid palying solos cause my improv is kinda **** but i been ****in around so much i guess that changed >.<

we jammed a few tracks and where normally im doing a few simple ass melodic licks at the base of a scale, today i was tapping and all kindsa random **** to the point my other guitar player says to me "hey, gettin real tired of playin this rhythm here"
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
A well set up guitar will definitely make it easier to play.

A new guitar always puts a smile on the face as well.
I definitely found this when I got my Gibson. Since I got it, my playing has gotten much better on all my LPs. Though if I pick up any other kind of guitar, my playing has gotten distinctly worse. Eh, swings and roundabouts.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by atla18
i definitely see that im inspired. i havent been able to put it down for more than twenty minutes. if im in my house and they let me near that case its over.

it was kinda funny. normally when we jam i avoid palying solos cause my improv is kinda **** but i been ****in around so much i guess that changed >.<

we jammed a few tracks and where normally im doing a few simple ass melodic licks at the base of a scale, today i was tapping and all kindsa random **** to the point my other guitar player says to me "hey, gettin real tired of playin this rhythm here"

Ha ha nice yeah the first day I bought my RG I didnt put it down except to eat and go to the bathroom.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
I think its something about LP Studios.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by atla18
Since i got my new guitar (Gibson les paul studio) ive felt like my playing has just gotten.... idk. better.

i was at my band practice today and my other guitar player noticed. We jammed a few of our usual chord progressions to mess around on and i just seemed more spot on than normal.

Has anyone else ever played a guitar that they felt just improved their playing?

I recently got a LP studio as well! And yes, it does seem like my playing has gotten better as well. But one thing that is a stone cold fact, it's the player not the instrument/amp/etc.,. While a Les Paul is a comfortable guitar to play, it's also an amazing confidence boost. I remember when I picked it up and started breaking it in I was FLYING and this and that. But I think it's because I realised...wow, I'm play a LES PAUL! So just keep in mind, you can pick up a $50 guitar and play it just as well if you have the confidence.
new shoes make you run faster.

it's the same effect
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
I recently got a LP studio as well! And yes, it does seem like my playing has gotten better as well. But one thing that is a stone cold fact, it's the player not the instrument/amp/etc.,. While a Les Paul is a comfortable guitar to play, it's also an amazing confidence boost. I remember when I picked it up and started breaking it in I was FLYING and this and that. But I think it's because I realised...wow, I'm play a LES PAUL! So just keep in mind, you can pick up a $50 guitar and play it just as well if you have the confidence.

i think that depends on a setup. i tried to sweep on my friends strat and the action was so ****ed i couldnt press the frets. but i definitely see what your saying
Quote by wannabe jesus
Quote by atla18
i think that depends on a setup. i tried to sweep on my friends strat and the action was so ****ed i couldnt press the frets. but i definitely see what your saying

Same for me I play my RG great but when I try a standard guitar it messes me up I think its just that setups are honestly personal preference on how you like it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
I recently bought a LP Studio as well and I can play the hell out of it compared to other guitars I have played. It is my first electric, though I have been playing a fair amount fo time before that on acoustic to develop skill, but it felt like a natural transition for me and I could control the tones so EASILY.

Also the LPs are some of the most (well known) versatile guitars in the world next to strats and teles, so you can find yourself playing new styles more on it, like your story of playing good lead with it. A little style difference from maybe having another guitar beforehand.
New gear always inspires you and makes you push yourself and your playing further,this is even more true if it's a high end or iconic guitar like the Gibson you mentioned.I recently switched from 6 strings to 7 strings and the extra string has inspired me a lot,even though the guitar isn't anywhere near expensive.New sounds and characteristics are basically creativity steroids to any musician.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

There are definitely things about guitars that improve your playing. It's not just a placebo effect. I have 3 eletric guitar. They're all different. I can't play well on my Epi SG because the neck is finished, the scale of the guitar is uncomfortable, and it neck dives. That was my first guitar. Then I got an american strat. Huge improvement. The neck was a lot fatter and more comfortable, and I could play more accurately. Then I got an RG. I could play better the higher frets easier because they were a farther away from my body. The neck is also a lot thinner. I play faster on the RG but I play with more precision on the strat.
Quote by JELIFISH19
There are definitely things about guitars that improve your playing. It's not just a placebo effect. I have 3 eletric guitar. They're all different. I can't play well on my Epi SG because the neck is finished, the scale of the guitar is uncomfortable, and it neck dives. That was my first guitar. Then I got an american strat. Huge improvement. The neck was a lot fatter and more comfortable, and I could play more accurately. Then I got an RG. I could play better the higher frets easier because they were a farther away from my body. The neck is also a lot thinner. I play faster on the RG but I play with more precision on the strat.

This.

I play like **** on my Epi LP Special II, due to many things, uncomfortable, finished, sticky neck, strings are about an inch away form the fretboard, the neck is slightly warped, and the pickups sound terrible, and are very unresponsive.

However, when I tried out the Billy Corgan Strat at my local music store, the guitar was set up so well, that I overplayed things I struggled with. Like, I hardly get past Dave's solo to Holy Wars on my Special II, but on the strat, I played it way over speed.

I personally find a Jackson neck most comfortable, but I'm yet to see a well set up Jackson at my local music store, high action, fret buzz, out of tune, etc. was what was commonly occuring between every br00talz guitar, because every beginner dumbass has to look at a Jackson/Ibanez and go "LOL DERP DERP DAT HEDSTUK IS KUL. LET ME PLAI DERP DERP. *gets ****ing fat ass mcdonalds stains on the neck* THIS GITUR SAKS. I CAN HARDLI PLAE SMOKE ON WATUR!" ._.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I'll second what Jelifish said, It's not just psychlogical.

Sometimes small differences can have a huge impact. My first guitar had a narrow fret board, which made it a challenge for my fat fingers to not hit extra strings. With a wider fret board (keep in mind that we're talking about fractions of an inch) the difference was huge.

A few of the small things can have a huge impact are:
* The fret board width.
* The neck width.
* The neck shape.
* The scale length.

Finding a guitar that "fits" right can make all the difference in the world.

Quote by JELIFISH19

Makes a lot of sense to me that your next guitar should fit you better (or at least somewhat different as you mentioned) since your progression in guitar will also make you understand guitars feel better and what is most suited for your playing style. Also I would wager most players would be far more inclined to practice for longer and more often after a new purchase.
I have 15 guitars. Mostly all very different. Cost range around $200 - $8000.
None of them particularly improve or detract from my playing.

A new guitar is great. Of course everyone's new guitar has magical qualities.
But today's new guitar, is tomorrow's old guitar. The only real magic you have is
your skill.
YES! And this may sound odd...but I felt that my playing was a lot better and smoother on my friend's Ibanez starter guitar than on my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I guess it was because I'm more comfortable with guitars with thin necks.
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III 15 :/
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
A guitar doesn't improve your playing. You're skill is your skill level regardless.

However, if you have an easier to play instrument, obviously you can play closer to your limits. Also, if you love your new gear, you're more inclined to spend hours playing it and thus, improve.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I used to play a old guitar with the action about a metre from the fretboard (Ok not quite a metre) and then i got a gibson Les Paul and wow, what a difference! I noticed my guitar playing improve alot!
-Gear-
Gibson Firebird Studio 2004 Cherry red
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Alpine White
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

Marshall Valvestate 30 watts
my epi g-400 was a big difference from my guitar hero controller
so yes, it did improve my playing
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Bumping up from my Epiphone Les Paul Special II, to my Washburn. Big difference in playing.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I really don't think a guitar can make you play better but some are easier to play and you feel your playing better. Practice makes you better.

I have a ton of guitars by several different manufactures and I can play them equally as well. I prefer very thin necks and I love my Devlin with the V neck it just feels so right it makes it one of my favorite guitars to play. I have a harder time playing on necks that might as well be basebll bats I can play them fine but it takes more out of my hands and they get tired a lot faster.

IMHO, Most esablished guitarist can play anything from a $70.00 strat copy to a top of the line custom without trouble.

John
When I got my RR24 it felt much easier to play than my JS30RR, everything about it just feels great.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by JoKi&&Guitar
YES! And this may sound odd...but I felt that my playing was a lot better and smoother on my friend's Ibanez starter guitar than on my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I guess it was because I'm more comfortable with guitars with thin necks.

I have an Ibanez starter guitar...wanna switch?

Really though, on my Fender strat I can play little riffs and rhythm a lot better than on my RG...however, I love my RG for soloing, it's so much faster and easier to get clean notes
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
If your moving from a '****' guitar, to an expensive one, you're almost certainly moving to a guitar that has been designed to be 'easy' to play. And, certainly, from a gutar that has had little thought to it's design/materials, or craftsmanship. So, clearly your playing will improve. There is also the 'inspiration' factor.
Well, the maple board on my strat has made my left hand a lot faster, and it also did something to my right hand, because I've gone from a literal slowhand to being able to shred(That's right, SSS Fender's can shred. Suck it Fender-haters. ) in a matter of months.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39