maybe this is normal but just wanted to check - i have had my guitar for about 8 months, i do alot of bends on the higher strings. i noticed the frets where i bend are not as round as the spots where i don't. is this part of the regular "breaking the guitar in" cycle or am i pressing down too hard when i bend? i have jumbo frets. thanks
Its how the frets were leveled from the factory. The flat places you see are where there were high spots that got sanded away. You would have to play almost constantly for many years before you wear out your frets.
it's metal rubbing up against metal, you're pressing down and bending the strings onto the frets, it's going to happen
if u have to refret them, get stainless steel frets. they'll last longer
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Depends! My 83 MIA fender the frets lasted a long time before I needed to fix em. My much newer foreign made guitars the frets dont seem near as durable. I know part of its how hard I fret so Im just hard on frets. I wasted the frets on a squire in a few weeks. I went stainless so wear really isnt an issue any more.
Quote by Matt420740
Its how the frets were leveled from the factory. The flat places you see are where there were high spots that got sanded away. You would have to play almost constantly for many years before you wear out your frets.

Not necessarily... I find cheaper guitars can get fret wear pretty quickly.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Frets last for years, not months. I've seen guitars where the fingerboard wood is worn from use, but the frets are still in good shape. The only way you could wear them out that fast is if you press way too hard on the strings, waaayyy too hard, and play 24/7. Not to mention that if you press too hard on your strings all your notes are gonna be sharp, and out of tune.
Ive had my strat a year and have had the frets releveld twice and i dont play hard. it happens. frets wear.
Quote by Matt420740
Frets last for years, not months. I've seen guitars where the fingerboard wood is worn from use, but the frets are still in good shape. The only way you could wear them out that fast is if you press way too hard on the strings, waaayyy too hard, and play 24/7. Not to mention that if you press too hard on your strings all your notes are gonna be sharp, and out of tune.

The frets on my first guitar wore out a fair bit in under 4 months. Cheaper guitars will probably have soft frets. They shouldnt wear out fast on a good guitar, but its very possible on a cheap guitar.
Quote by Matt420740
You would have to play almost constantly for many years before you wear out your frets.

Eh, i would imagine it's a similar concept to the ibanez edge 3 trem. Cheaper, mixed metals to make it, resulting in a product that wears faster.
my guitar's frets arent exactly flat but they're kind of worn. its kind of gritty and harder to make a smooth vibrato on. any way to fix thix?
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Quote by brandooon
my guitar's frets arent exactly flat but they're kind of worn. its kind of gritty and harder to make a smooth vibrato on. any way to fix thix?

I think you're supposed to get very thin steel wool, and kind of scrape the crap off of it. Someone with more experience can elaborate.