Poll: do you have perfect pitch?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you have perfect pitch?
yes
24 11%
thats a D right?
54 25%
no
140 64%
Voters: 219.
Page 1 of 2
reasonable enough question.
can you hear a note and identify it by name? chords? harmonies?

i can (not trying to brag)
its pretty fun, like your driving down the highway going 55 and the humming of the motor is in the key of G.
useful i'd say

so...........
fender4482 can

seriously tho, i cant :\
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
God.

AKA DirtyMakik.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Yep, I throw strikes every time. My pitch is perfect.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by RPGoof

ahaha
i've seen those ads in every issue of guitar player and guitar world
read through it, and i think i figured out the way he did
I can create harmonies and sing it right back, but as for identifying the chord and actual note name, i need a guitar or piano nearby
Im sure many users on UG can, since majority of them tabbed out full songs by ear; some of them flawlessly.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
i can do it sometimes for single notes but if there is too many notes my brain gets confused
no way in hell.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
I was tested. I've got it, but I don't think it's as uncommon as people say. It definitely makes playing a little easier, too.
I cant detect the 'color' of each note, but I have trouble with b & c and e & f because of the half step.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by hippotato7
I can create harmonies and sing it right back, but as for identifying the chord and actual note name, i need a guitar or piano nearby

This.
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Nope.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
The only pitch I know is a B-flat. Damn you marching band!
██████████████████████████████
Quote by BlackandSilver
I cant detect the 'color' of each note, but I have trouble with b & c and e & f because of the half step.

Synesthesia! May I dissect your brain?
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Well, I can tune a high or low E almost perfectly, and tune the rest of the guitar. But the rest of what you said, no. Like Hippo..tato...guy said, I need a guitar/piano/bass nearby and I can do it.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Nope.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by Parabellum
Synesthesia! May I dissect your brain?

Um...I need that actually...
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Technique > Perfect Pitch.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Actually, perfect pitch isn't merely the identification of notes. It's when you can take your guitar, take off all the strings, restring it, then tune it within 1 or 2 cents, completely by ear. No enharmonic notes, no natural harmonics, nothing to aid you. Perfect pitch is not only identifying notes, but also then being able to tell if they're like 1/100 of a step off. It's freakin' weird man. The gear guy at Musicstop in St. John's has it.
Quote by AeroRocker
Im sure many users on UG can, since majority of them tabbed out full songs by ear; some of them flawlessly.

You don't need perfect pitch to tab a song...
if i have a guitar in hand, i can hear someone play something or hear a song in my head and then transpose it onto guitar pretty quickly.

other than that, no.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Tubyboulin
You don't need perfect pitch to tab a song...

I meant the flawless ones that users make effortlessly. My sentence came out terrible, i had a few thought in my mind so i mixed them together in an unorganized manner.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by //ANDREW\\
i think i might have it
idk...is there like a test you can take?!?

yeah its as easy as having someone play a note on the guitar or piano and if you can tell what note it is
if i hear a note, i cant go, 'oh thats an 'A'' but if i hear a note, i can match it. like tuning the guitar with the 5th fret sort of thing. is that even what were talking about? but i can tune a guitar from scratch and be VERY close
Member of the Nick Grundy group

Creator of The American Bass Fishing Group <join it if you like to fish
i dont have perfect ptch but if you play a note and tell me what it is, i can tell what other ones are. i think its called relative pitch?
Quote by AeroRocker
I meant the flawless ones that users make effortlessly. My sentence came out terrible, i had a few thought in my mind so i mixed them together in an unorganized manner.

I'm pretty sure most of them have their guitars in hand while tabbing . Maby one or two can do it just listening, then transposing, but most people pull it out by finding the notes on the guitar. Thats no perfect pitch, thats extremely good relative pitch for the most part.

I figured out quite a few songs that way, but i have no where near Perfect Pitch.
yeah i do but i cant really name the notes all the time cause i dont think of it like notes i just think of it on the fret board. if i hear a note i can play it though
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Quote by guitaruboy
reasonable enough question.
can you hear a note and identify it by name? chords? harmonies?

i can (not trying to brag)
its pretty fun, like your driving down the highway going 55 and the humming of the motor is in the key of G.
useful i'd say

so...........

Edit:
never mind
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by //ANDREW\\
i think i might have it
idk...is there like a test you can take?!?

I your signature!

And, I have a pretty good ear, but not perfect pitch. That is a pretty rare gift.

Quote by XxLloydxX
You're an asshole because the notes by themselves aren't worth a shiet. There is NO ONE who can identify the note just by hearing the note itself. You're just bragging, and it's a dumb lie. I know this because a professional teacher says the same thing over and over again, and people just don't understand that the pitches are defined ONLY when they are heard in intervals to other pitches. THEN can you draw into conclusions, and perfect pitch is defined to someone who can identify the note, but he can only do so when he hears the rest of the intervals.
I don't plan for you to understand, it'll take me a few paragraphs to make this clear.

If you really have perfect pitch then go here, and do this exercise of pitches, select all the notes and when you hear the first note, let's see if you can figure it out.
http://teoria.com/exercises/ne.htm

I can figure out all the notes in every major key, this is because I practiced.

Oh dear, well if xxlloydxx can't do it, then nobody can!
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Last edited by zippidyduda at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by XxLloydxX
You're an asshole because the notes by themselves aren't worth a shiet. There is NO ONE who can identify the note just by hearing the note itself. You're just bragging, and it's a dumb lie. I know this because a professional teacher says the same thing over and over again, and people just don't understand that the pitches are defined ONLY when they are heard in intervals to other pitches. THEN can you draw into conclusions, and perfect pitch is defined to someone who can identify the note, but he can only do so when he hears the rest of the intervals.
I don't plan for you to understand, it'll take me a few paragraphs to make this clear.

If you really have perfect pitch then go here, and do this exercise of pitches, select all the notes and when you hear the first note, let's see if you can figure it out.
http://teoria.com/exercises/ne.htm

I can figure out all the notes in every major key, this is because I practiced.

What? Sorry, that's completely wrong. Even my high school music teacher can tell you what note is what, just a single one, not out of a scale. I can do relative pitch (albeit I suck) but there are definately people with perfect pitch.
Page 1 of 2