So here's the deal. Today I came across an amp that just really caught my eye. I didn't get a chance to play it but I was drawn to it like no other. It's a Marshall JC800 combo. It has 1 12' in it and that' about all I know. I can't seem to find any info on it so if you guys could help me out that would be great! Also, this place is selling it for about 450. Good price, yay or nay?
Quote by makeHIMscene
So here's the deal. Today I came across an amp that just really caught my eye. I didn't get a chance to play it but I was drawn to it like no other. It's a Marshall JC800 combo. It has 1 12' in it and that' about all I know. I can't seem to find any info on it so if you guys could help me out that would be great! Also, this place is selling it for about 450. Good price, yay or nay?

If it's really a JCM800, than that is a GREAT price for it. GET IT NOW!!
JCM800s can be a little hit or miss sometimes. Some sound great, some not so much. Go try it first, the $450 price tag is a little on the low side but not unheard of.
These were the only photos I could get of it as I was in a hurry:

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

So how are these amps? Anyone play one or have played one?
Quote by makeHIMscene
These were the only photos I could get of it as I was in a hurry:

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

So how are these amps? Anyone play one or have played one?

No pic there?
Link!!!!!!!!!!!!
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Well, I'd just say go back there and play it, and if you like what you hear, than get it! Whether or not it's a "real" JCM800 shouldn't matter as long as it sounds great, and you like the tone!
it looks legitimate. I say go for it. NAO!!!!
seeing as this thread is nice and handy (and this isn't completely off topic), how do you like that Egnator Rebel GNR?
Last edited by ortrigger at Dec 30, 2008,
hmm. the twin channels can be quite iffy. You can find someones that will have the best drive in the world, while others may sound like a burning fart covered up with a wet rag. When marshall was making the twin channel 800s that changed the design numerous times over the years of its production. The earlier ones sound like **** and the later ones ('86-'87) usually sound out of this world. The good news is that one has EL34s. The ones that came with 6550's sounded like dump. Although there is a high possibility that the original owner swapped the 6550's with EL34s.

Sit down and play the amp, also check the serial number to find out when the amp was manufactured. $450 seems like a huge red flag to me. Good twin channel 800s usually sell for above $1k. Also, you usually hardly find the good 800's because all the people with them hold on to them. I surely would never sell mine.

edit: definitely looks like a real 800 to me. I would be more concerned about the production year
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by ortrigger
it looks legitimate. I say go for it. NAO!!!!
seeing as this thread is nice and handy (and this isn't completely off topic), how do you like that Egnator Rebel GNR?

Ohhh man, it is SWEET!!!! I just got it on Friday and I absolutely love it. It's pretty versatile, responds well to my Strat and my Les Paul, so it's good in every way! With my Strat I run the Tubescreamer at full, with the gain backed down on the Rebel, almost to the point where the amp is totally clean, and that gives me an amazing SRV/John Mayer kind of twangy Strat tone that I love.

With my Les Paul I have the gain a bit higher on the Rebel, and backed off on the Tubescreamer, and it can EASILY get into metal territory with humbuckers it seems. Awesome amp all around, highly recommended!
Quote by GNRjungle87
Ohhh man, it is SWEET!!!! I just got it on Friday and I absolutely love it. It's pretty versatile, responds well to my Strat and my Les Paul, so it's good in every way! With my Strat I run the Tubescreamer at full, with the gain backed down on the Rebel, almost to the point where the amp is totally clean, and that gives me an amazing SRV/John Mayer kind of twangy Strat tone that I love.

With my Les Paul I have the gain a bit higher on the Rebel, and backed off on the Tubescreamer, and it can EASILY get into metal territory with humbuckers it seems. Awesome amp all around, highly recommended!

Awesome. Thanks for the info. How about clean headroom? I don't use pedals hardly at all (I guess I'm a tone chaser like EVH) so ya. Obviously at 20 watts it won't be a lot but does it have enough I could get that on-the-verge-of-breakup sound that I prefer to play a few thing with?
I emailed the shop and surprisingly got a response this late. Apparently the amp was incredibly mislabeled. He told me to go to the website for the correct price. www.rockinrobins.com it's on there in the amplifier section.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Well, I'd just say go back there and play it, and if you like what you hear, than get it! Whether or not it's a "real" JCM800 shouldn't matter as long as it sounds great, and you like the tone!

I don't think anyone would "fake" a JCM800. They're not exactly rare amps and turn up for under $1000 all the time.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by makeHIMscene
I emailed the shop and surprisingly got a response this late. Apparently the amp was incredibly mislabeled. He told me to go to the website for the correct price. www.rockinrobins.com it's on there in the amplifier section.

site doesn't work

How was the amp mislabeled?
I leik music
some guy that made the labels labeled for the price of a new Marshall MG100DFX. Man I'm bummed :[. Anyways, instead of making a new topic about it, I'm fairly new to the guitar world (been playing for a little over a year). I want an older Marshall tube combo or half stack. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend an incredible amount of money though.
^save up, watch craigslist, ebay, etc. and pray that you can find one. Otherwise, save a ton more and buy one from a shop.
Any suggestions on specific models? I'm not incredibly familiar with Marshall. Right now I play through a Hot Rod 4X10 model and absolutely love it. I've just been hearing a lot of great things about Marhsall and it seems that most of the people making sounds I want to make are using older Marshalls.
900s usually run a lot cheaper that 800s. Don't buy a 600.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
900s usually run a lot cheaper that 800s. Don't buy a 600.

good man, 900's kick ass (see sig)
although its musical taste
800's are more classic rock/hard rock/thrash metal voiced
with okay cleans and orgasmic overdrive
900's are more modern rock voiced, but has more gain than the 800
and the cleans are orgasmic, and the overdrive still pretty sweet

with a hot rod i'm not sure that switching to a 900 would be your first choice
what do you play?
budget?
do you need volume? (i'm assuming since you have a 4x10)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by ortrigger
Awesome. Thanks for the info. How about clean headroom? I don't use pedals hardly at all (I guess I'm a tone chaser like EVH) so ya. Obviously at 20 watts it won't be a lot but does it have enough I could get that on-the-verge-of-breakup sound that I prefer to play a few thing with?

Not really sure about the headroom, haven't gotten a chance to crank it past 3 or 4 yet! I'll let you know when I do, though.
Well, I got the Hot Rod 4X10 because it was a steal (dude JUST bought it from GC, played it for a total of 2 hours or so, then his job shipped him overseas so i got a brand new Hot Rod for 600). But yes I'd love some volume! I want to stick to something pretty similar to my hot rod, but then again I'm no stranger to the harder side of sound. I play a few guitars; DeArmond M-70 with '57 classics, Epiphone LP Classic, and a Fender Roadhouse Strat. I usually stick to the bluesy rock, but I want something to give me a nice good hard rock sound. Budget is kind of flexible but I don't want to spend TOO much.