#1
Hey.. I'm 16 and looking to purchase a new guitar. Interested in metal and play a lot of All That Remains and Killswitch Engage. Right now I have a Epiphone SG and looking to spend around $700. Any suggestions would be great! I am experienced being that I have played for about 6 years; However, I do not really know what to look for in a new guitar. So any suggestions on what metal guitar I should buy and also what to look for in one would be great.
#3
Do you want to stick with a 24.75 scale like you have? If so I'd look around for an explorer, or a Gibson style V
#4
Don't get a gibson. Pointless if you're playing metal. You'll probably want something with EMGs if that's what you play. I would recommend looking at ESPs, the EC-1000 is really good for metal
#5
Yea I've looked at an ESP LTD MH-400 with emgs but I feel like there are better guitars out there and want to reconsider before I spend so much money.
#6
What kind of metal do you play?
Also do you have any preference to woods? body shape? neck type?
And also, what's the rest of your rig look like>
...
#7
Quote by ATRKSE92
Yea I've looked at an ESP LTD MH-400 with emgs but I feel like there are better guitars out there and want to reconsider before I spend so much money.


The 400s are lower end than the 1000s. I would recommend looking at the MH-1000 non-trem since the trem models are a lot more expensive. Anything in the 1000 line is good. I hear good things about Schecters too
#8
Metal, Metalcore... Favorite bands now are all that remains and killswitch engage so any sound like them would be good. And I have a Line 6 SPider 3 amp. Not sure about types of necks etc.
#9
Quote by JELIFISH19
Don't get a gibson. Pointless if you're playing metal. You'll probably want something with EMGs if that's what you play. I would recommend looking at ESPs, the EC-1000 is really good for metal



Thats retarded. An Explorer, Flying V or Les Paul will be fine for metal. The Explorer and V have high output ceramics anyways, way better sounding than the EMG's.
#10
Quote by Matt420740
Thats retarded. An Explorer, Flying V or Les Paul will be fine for metal. The Explorer and V have high output ceramics anyways, way better sounding than the EMG's.


The pickups that come in the Gibsons aren't great. EMGs sound better than the Gibson stock pickups for metalcore. Those bands use EMGs and if he likes their sound, EMGs would probably suit him best. The gibson faded series aren't very good for the price either.

But anyway, you should consider getting a new amp before getting a new guitar
#11
Quote by ATRKSE92
Metal, Metalcore... Favorite bands now are all that remains and killswitch engage so any sound like them would be good. And I have a Line 6 SPider 3 amp. Not sure about types of necks etc.


wooooahhh please don't buy a 700+ dollar guitar if you don't have a decent amp. Your amp makes up at least 80% of your tone. And most of the remaining 20% is either in your hands, pickups, or strings.
#12
are you sure, my epiphone sg is a $150 guitar and is not made for metal.
#14
if you got $700 worth of new amp, it would make a squier sound better than a '58 korina explorer through a line 6
#15
I'm gonna be a dick and suggest getting a new amp,maybe a Bugera tube model or a used tube amp before you upgrade your guitar.Hell then you can sell the line 6 to help fund the new guitar to go with the new amp.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.







#16
get an ESP or ESP LTD there one of the best metal guitar brands i think
and i would try out a few before ya buy one
[A Portrait For The Deceased]

I swear they just went into the special ed. class and got one of them to slam their foreheads on the keyboard.
I once masturbated on some dudes arm.
#17
Lol line 6 spider, one of the most horrendous things you could ever get. Anyway, get a better amp. As I(and every other sane guitarist) will say, amp is more important than guitar.
#18
Quote by JELIFISH19
Definitely get an amp instead


Have you not heard the term: garbage in garbage out? Start with the source not the output.