ok guys i was thinking about getting this guitar and i need to know a few things about it from u guys...

1st off how far is just the emg 81 going to get me in terms on tone and 2nd what do u folks personally think about it.....i dont really listen to alot of fear factory and i am not thinking of getting it just because it is a signature guitar....

p.s i do play metal....
I'd say nay

Why get that when you can get the DKMGT for the same price that has much better features?

I've played the COW and I honestly wasn't impressed by it at all,it seemed to be a very one dimensional guitar to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

persnally i wouldnt get it because you should

A) be a fan to get a sig guitar IMO
B) there are better guitars than that. check out some Ibanez's.
what exactly would u guys suggest because im just looking for something that plays really well and i just love the way jacksons feel.....and i really dig the string through type....
Check this one out instead

It's a jackson,has active emg pups,a tone pros bridge,a volume and tone instead of just volume,same reverse headstock,and it's slightly cheaper

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-with-EMG-Pickups?sku=512241

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Check this one out instead

It's a jackson,has active emg pups,a tone pros bridge,a volume and tone instead of just volume,same reverse headstock,and it's slightly cheaper

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMGT-Dinky-with-EMG-Pickups?sku=512241

hah u know i actually currently have a dkmg but im going to sell it because i just dont use the floyd as much as i thought i would and changing tuning is a real hassle...i was really thinking about this one but i kinda wanted something different but that might be my only option...
Quote by Astray57
hah u know i actually currently have a dkmg but im going to sell it because i just dont use the floyd as much as i thought i would and changing tuning is a real hassle...i was really thinking about this one but i kinda wanted something different but that might be my only option...

A few quick questions

What amp do you use?

Have you considered just blocking off the trem on your DK?

Does the guitar have to be a jackson? ESP makes some nice stop tail models with EMG pickups in your price range.

Quote by Pr0gNut
A few quick questions

What amp do you use?

Have you considered just blocking off the trem on your DK?

Does the guitar have to be a jackson? ESP makes some nice stop tail models with EMG pickups in your price range.

i am using a peavey XXX head with an avater cab which has celestion v30's....but yea i have seen some esp and was thinking about them but i kinda thought some looked a little too flashy with the pearl border type of thing....and i would rather have a string thru than block the trem...
Hmmm well first off that's a nice amp,I'm saving up for a JSX myself.

Lets see here.....Well if the only problem you have with your current DK is the floyd and you love the feel,sound,and so on then selling that to fund the purchase of the non-trem version is completely reasonable.But,if you have money for a new guitar that is completely separate from the sale of your DK you could sell that then get an awesome higher end guitar with the combined funds.

Quote by Astray57
hah yea i love that amp...and what u said is true but the cost isnt really a big issue unless its like $1500+.....check this one out...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH1000-non-trem-Electric-Guitar?sku=518619
how do u think the duncans will suit my needs?

Very nice,I've seen that guitar in a darker brown finish and it looked amazing.

Now onto the duncans,I have a Jackson with them in it and they do metal just fine,very versatile pickups.They wont be as high output as EMG pups,but they'll have a warmer,rounder,more organic tone to them.If you want EMG pups you can always install them afterward or find a guitar that comes with them stock like an ESP viper or EC-1000 if you want an LP style guitar.If you do go for EMG's,I'd suggest having an 18 volt mod installed since this will open them up more and get rid of that sterile feeling that they can have under certain settings.If you have a lot of money to spend,Jackson makes a neck-thru sololist model that has a stop tail bridge that you might wanna look at.

are u talking about the jackson slsmg soloist?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/jackson-guitars-basses-electric-guitars?N=100001+304275+200998&Ns=P_Price|1&rpp=20
and i am a strat body type of guy haha but the slsmg is a really nice guitar but that esp might be a nice change with the duncans...btw what is the best duncan suited setup for a good metal tone and would get the most outta my amp?
Quote by Astray57
are u talking about the jackson slsmg soloist?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/jackson-guitars-basses-electric-guitars?N=100001+304275+200998&Ns=P_Price|1&rpp=20
and i am a strat body type of guy haha but the slsmg is a really nice guitar but that esp might be a nice change with the duncans...btw what is the best duncan suited setup for a good metal tone and would get the most outta my amp?

Good question

I've always liked the JB/'59 set up since it's really versatile and can cover anything from cleans to high gain,which is something I need since I play progressive metal like petrucci and opeth's style.The duncan distortion is high output than the JB but loses some versatility.The duncan Invader is high output but from my experience is kinda muddy and blah.There's also the dimebucker but I've never tried it,I heard it was really trebely and bity so I avoided it.You could also try the Duncan Blackout active pickups,They have the output of actives but have a warmer and more "alive" sound than EMG pups IMO.I prefer the blackouts over the EMG 81/85 set.

You could also look at DiMarzio pickups like the D-sonic,D-activators,and some of their other high output models.That being said,if you're willing to shell out the big bucks for pickups you should look into boutique brands like Bare Knuckle pickups.They're UK based and make their pickups by hand and from what I've heard and played they make some of the best pups you can get.The price is pretty steep,like 130+ for one pickup,but IMO it's totally worth it since their models like the painkiller,warpig,nailbomb, and especially the miracle man sound amazing for high gain applications.

Getting the ESP MH-1000 then getting some bareknuckles installed in it would be pure win I think.You can message them at their site and talk to them about what specific sounds you want and they'll recommend some pickups for you if you want to go with that option.

well i think im going to try out the MH-1000 at my local sam ash and see how it does...and i dont know a whole lot about pickups so wut exactly does the JB pickup excel at and same with the '59?
Jb is a high gain pickup that has a warm and round tone and is pretty versatile.

the '59 is good for cleans and classic stuff like blues and early rock and when its in the neck with some high gain it's nice for fluid runs like sweeping and legatos.

well it sounds like this is what i am looking for...i sure hope my local sam ash has one for me to try out...thanks for all the help i really appreciate it...
No problem

Good luck hunting,hope everything works out and you find a sweet guitar.