WARNING-I dont make much effort in my sentencing and stuff

well to be blunt no matter how hard I try, no matter how often I try, and no matter how bad I want to write a song I JUST CANT at all.

if I am trying to come up with something to write about I either cant think of something and my mind goes blank or I will have an idea and the words either come out very boring or not at all.

am I one of the unlucky ones who just doesnt have the songwriting ability
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
You can't force songwriting. I suggest find something that inspires you and indulge yourself in it. For example sitting alone outside and looking at the sky always makes me feel like writing because it awes me.
Also, you have to have a topic you're passionate about. Identify one and think about it, then go get inspired

All in all don't force it, let it come.
Quote by Le_Bunny
You can't force songwriting. I suggest find something that inspires you and indulge yourself in it. For example sitting alone outside and looking at the sky always makes me feel like writing because it awes me.
Also, you have to have a topic you're passionate about. Identify one and think about it, then go get inspired

All in all don't force it, let it come.

I dont try to force it ill usually sit here for hours and still nothing when I do come up with something its usually very plain straightforward and boring and lacks creativity
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
That's why I'm saying don't just sit in the same spot, get out and experience things. The same old four walls aren't conducive to creative expression, are they?
May I reiterate until someone posts with another idea: find an interest or topic, experience or think about it, think how you could put it if you were explaining it. Once you've established your idea go further with literary techniques such as metaphors/motifs, assonance, imagery and the like.
Quote by Le_Bunny
That's why I'm saying don't just sit in the same spot, get out and experience things. The same old four walls aren't conducive to creative expression, are they?
May I reiterate until someone posts with another idea: find an interest or topic, experience or think about it, think how you could put it if you were explaining it. Once you've established your idea go further with literary techniques such as metaphors/motifs, assonance, imagery and the like.

well I found something and I actually got one going now and so far I like it but as far as the rhyming goes as for the chorus can I change up the pattern of the rhyme scheme altogether?
Quote by SkyValley
i was reading up on stuff like this last week. 2 points thats stuck with me were:
-dont write if u have nothing to write about.get inspired and passionate about nothing
-when all else fails,write about love.its proven to work time and time again, even if its stereotypical.

theres some things u could start with^
good luck
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by punk_metal2007
I dont try to force it ill usually sit here for hours and still nothing when I do come up with something its usually very plain straightforward and boring and lacks creativity

That's the problem. You sit down and say to yourself that you're going to write a song. It's not a scheduled thing. It's spontaneous.
I usually find myself full of writing vigor after watching a good movie or seeing a live band.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Pretty much everyone sucks at songwriting when they first start. You're not going to be amazing until after writing many ****ty songs, honestly. I wrote songs for 3 years before I came up with anything of value. Granted, I'm probably younger than you, but I think the general concept rings true for a lot of people. Basically, for now, just write. Do get in touch with what inspires you, and don't force anything, but don't get discouraged if you're not great right now. A lot of what's wonderful about writing is that most improvements are made from experience. You just end up getting a lot better because you notice what sounds good & what works, and what doesn't. Just start writing, man. And then post some of your stuff to be critiqued so you can get some insight from people and get even better. Eventually if you stick with it you could become really good; anyone could, imo, with the right drive and passion. Most people just give up too early.
Quote by punk_metal2007
WARNING-I dont make much effort in my sentencing and stuff

well to be blunt no matter how hard I try, no matter how often I try, and no matter how bad I want to write a song I JUST CANT at all.

if I am trying to come up with something to write about I either cant think of something and my mind goes blank or I will have an idea and the words either come out very boring or not at all.

am I one of the unlucky ones who just doesnt have the songwriting ability
There's your problem, ya big dummy.

The effort isn't about FORCING the words to come out like you're squeezing out a constipated turd. Do that, and your result will be as expected: A pile of shit.

Drums are easy to play, right? You just hit things.

WRONG.

Lyricss are easy to write, right? You just put some words together that express your thoughts.

WRONG.

In both cases, you need to gain skills by practice. One doesn't sit down and try to play complex rhythms on a kit all at once. You learn rudiments, first. Later you put the rudiments together to create a song.

Write a very short poem, or a single verse. or a chorus.

Experiment with rhyme. Meter. Imagery.

What to write about? Who the fuck cares?
Write about a bug crawling up a window.
or the smell of hickory in a wood-burning stove
or the dance of dandelion spores migrating in the wind.

use the words like a painter his pallete of pigments.
create images from the words
and texture from the rhythm
and symmetry from the rhyme

don't be too concerned about us knowing exactly what you know.
try to inspire us to feel what you felt.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Just to give you an idea of something, I've been trying to write lyrics for a guitar thing I made up for quite a while and haven't come up with anything decent. However, when I wrote veteran, I just randomly came up with the idea and wrote it after making up a chord progression that fit the mood I was going for. So really, it's best if you don't say "I'm going to write lyrics now" and just write when the inspiration strikes.
I would suggest a really, really crazy thing - read. It doesn't matter if it's a book, or the lyrics of a song, just read and start paying attention to the little things that make it special. Go listen to a few Leonard Cohen songs and try later.

Good luck!
this is almost a terrible suggestion but all my best writing comes in moments of pain or remembering particularly difficult or painful experiences. not saying you should dwell on bad memories if u've moved on but if somethings really getting to u write it down over and over express ur pain or angst on a page its therapeutic and it makes for decent music
Keep On Keepen' On
I disagree with the comments about not forcing it. Of course you can force it. "Inspiration" is fine, but usually leads to cheese. Hard work and grinding out songs will make you a much better songwriter very fast. Pull a Hemingway and stand at your desk forcing out words a line at a time for hours a day and you'll have your songs sans waiting for the muse.

You want something to write about:

Pick a story out of the newspaper
Emulate one aspect of a song you enjoy
Emulate another aspect of another song you enjoy, and so forth.
Start with an image that you like and try to build a story around it.
Start with a person you know and tell a story about him or her.

These are my favorite beginning songwriting excercises. They're all simple and straight forward, so just sit down and do it. The songs will be terrible, but the first 20 or so songs everyone writes always are. Just keep grinding them out and you'll start to get some good stuff.

And remember to revise, if you don't figure out exactly why each song that you write sucks, you're not going to do any better on the next one!