Hi, I'm just looking for suggestions on any good rock songs with to cover at a battle of the bands type gig.

My band plays Gone Away by the Offspring but no one can hit the high note in the chorus and our bassist is always complaining that it is too simple. We want something to play that everyone knows, but isn't too poppy or overdone.

Preferably a song with two guitar parts, a solo and low-ish vocals.

We were thinking maybe a Foo Fighters or (early) Silverchair song, but haven't settled on anything.

Any ideas?
We considered that, but we don't want to have to play in drop d and the screaming would be a problem.
Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters?
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

its more yelling but anyway..

why not February star? thats a pretty relaxed song with out any yelling.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Alot of songs by The Clash would be good to cover, like London Calling maybe. Cities Burn by Anti-Flag would be an awesome song to do, as the bass is in no way simple, its not too hard to sing, and theres two guitar parts in it.
Quote by Boydy24
We considered that, but we don't want to have to play in drop d and the screaming would be a problem.

Just change the key. Move it up a tone. It still won't be nearly as high as what Dexter is known to do in many of his songs.

It was ages ago, but a band I was in used to cover it, and I'm sure we didn't drop tune for it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It doesn't take much to drop D. It's only like a quarter turn. It only really matters if you have to drop to say C, where you have to change the tuning on every string.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Or unless you're using a floating bridge like a FR.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

my band covers some Judas Priest... living after midnight is a pretty recognizable song with a simple but sweet solo, lower vocals and two guitar parts... i would suggest priest for sure
... except that Halford can sing some pretty crazy high stuff, and often does in at least one or two spots in a song...

CT

does it have to be a alt band? i wuz gonna suggest Enter sandman, i don't think that is too high, if you can pull off the solo. idk i'm not a singer.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by warlockking
does it have to be a alt band? i wuz gonna suggest Enter sandman, i don't think that is too high, if you can pull off the solo. idk i'm not a singer.

Enter Sandman is a good song, but as far as we're concerned it is a no-go zone. Enter Sandman, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smoke On The Water and Stairway to heaven are the main songs that are just played to hell by crappy guitarists that I never want to hear again.

We'd be playing mainly for 13-18 year olds too, so Judas Priest or The Clash wouldn't go down well. We're just after some well known songs that drunk teenagers would like and know the words to, but we don't want to do something that has already been done a million times before.

Learn to Fly and Times Like These are possibilities...maybe even Kryptonite.
Arctic Monkeys? Franz Ferdinand? Killers?

CT

The Strokes - Reptilia.

Killer track to cover and one of my favourites to play.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Boydy24
Hi, I'm just looking for suggestions on any good rock songs with to cover at a battle of the bands type gig.

My band plays Gone Away by the Offspring but no one can hit the high note in the chorus and our bassist is always complaining that it is too simple. We want something to play that everyone knows, but isn't too poppy or overdone.

Preferably a song with two guitar parts, a solo and low-ish vocals.

We were thinking maybe a Foo Fighters or (early) Silverchair song, but haven't settled on anything.

Any ideas?

Any Strokes song would be great, they use standard, have 2 guitarists, and the vocalist has a baritone voice. Try Reptilia like the other guy said, Juicebox, or You Only Live Once. Juicebox is slightly heavier, but not much. All have at least one solo, two guitar parts, and lowish singing. Good luck!

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
I think the Strokes are the way to go. My band covered Reptilia for a battle of the bands too and it went over real well.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?