So I have a fender Stratocaster with 9-42 and Im starting to get into more metalish music so most of it needs Drop-C tuning and today i went to guitar center and got some 11-58 strings and ive been reading around the internet and heard you need adjustments that I cant just put them on tune it and call it done, Is this true or can I just put them on and call it done. The guy at guitar center said something about how it might affect the whammy bar. Is this true. What steps would I have to take to put the strings on if just not the usual?
Gear:
1960 Classic Les Paul
Black Fender Stratocaster
Frankenstrat
Marshall MG100HDFX
Line 6 Spider III 100watt
Yeah I dont know either the guy also said that it would make standard tuning stay tuned better and sound better.
Gear:
1960 Classic Les Paul
Black Fender Stratocaster
Frankenstrat
Marshall MG100HDFX
Line 6 Spider III 100watt
11's are a bit too thin for drop C, you should get 12s. Anyways, you shouldnt need any major adjustments. Thicker strings mean more tension, yes, but when you have them in drop C they are slack enough to provide as much tension as before the string change.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Yes, you'll definitely need a truss rod adjustment and it will need to be set up as well. If you put those things on there, your trem bridge will practically jump off the body. And...it could ruin your neck. If you just put the 58 on there by itself, this will happen. Take it to a tech, but get a good one. It should run under $60. Good luck.