So, I just Put some 12's in My Strat rip off, I'm wondering, WillI still be able to use my Starkie for more metal distorted tones, or will it sound like crap in standard with Thicker gauges?
wtf is your starkie?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
hows starkies neck?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Strats should use 9's. Not unless you tune reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally low. Anyways, if standard tuning, the best would be 9's. Assuming you play only metal and from what I know, some metal tunes need to be tuned really low and require heavier gauges...

BTW I assume Starkie is the name of your guitar..
Quote by nottinoob
Strats should use 9's. Not unless you tune reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally low. Anyways, if standard tuning, the best would be 9's. Assuming you play only metal and from what I know, some metal tunes need to be tuned really low and require heavier gauges...

BTW I assume Starkie is the name of your guitar..

No, this is personal opinion. I use 11's on a 25.5" scale (the "Fender" scale) Ibanez in Standard, and that's the way I like it.

If anything, it will sound better. Thicker strings give you better tone, even if only slightly. SRV used up to 13's. Yeah, he tuned to E flat, but that was just to relieve tension, or else it would be pretty much impossible to bend a string.

Anyway, play at will TS, distorted or clean, it will sound good. And kudos to you for having the courage to drop some 12's there
It'll be better for metal tones with thickies on it. The only disadvantage I find (with regards to tone) is that a plain G string often sounds a bit dead below the 7th fret.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
i use 10-52's on my 25.5 scale guitars too, one in drop D and the other in E standard (a=440) and i find that it (whatever gauge u use) is slightly easier on an FR-equipped guitar vs a tom stringthru/stoptail.

thicker = better tone and less sloppy to play, can result in less fret-buzz on troublesome guitars and more...BUT you can't sacrifice all that for playability, because ultimately the way u play affects tone more, and if you go to thick in gauges and can't vibrato/bend/legato/play properly, then you're better off on lighter strings.