What do you guys all think of it?
i personally wont unless im really confident that i've got all the set pretty much perfect, but even then i'll only have a couple of beers or something.
the rythm guitarist of my band on the other hand gets ****ing wasted, so his playing is usually pretty bad live.
do you drink before gigs?
what are your views on it?
In a soundcheck there's never too much guitar. Just not enough of all the other instruments.

Quote by skwelcher
i dont think theres any reason to buy a gibson when you can buy an epi that looks the same
Not really, I don't need it for nerves because I don't get them and when I drink, guitar playing/speech is the first thing to go out the window (usually followed by myself)

EDIT: Also I generally only drink liquer in large amounts so when I get drunk, I get spectacularly drunk, never good on stage
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Dec 30, 2008,
hell yeah, ... i mean... i dont get "wasted"... but i'm usually quite drunk.... helps when improvising...

and i drink beer..
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
i think its ****ing stupid. people are (usualy) paying to see you play and want you to put on a good show, and if your all loaded and cant play properly then why did you waste your time showing up?
thats my view on it.

p.s. when my band use to have 5 members we played a gig at a party and i was the only sober one in the band.
NEVER again...
I will have a couple ,but I'm always the dd. With a band named Hammerd someone has to get us home safe
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Drinking helps the stage show and stage presence.
To an extent...

Personally, I wouldn't risk it too much.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
And why would I want to drink?
I don't know about you, but I like to be able to play well, and I like to actually remember how the gig went, I like being able to actually control what I say and do.

All matter of opinion though.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
It's one thing for some people to like drinking a little more (or less) than others before a show, but anyone who just gets wasted is clearly trying to create an excuse for sloppy playing. Or they actually do have an alcohol problem.
Quote by Delanoir
It's one thing for some people to like drinking a little more (or less) than others before a show, but anyone who just gets wasted is clearly trying to create an excuse for sloppy playing. Or they actually do have an alcohol problem.

I'm confident that he just loves drinking, because his playing sober is really tight.
In a soundcheck there's never too much guitar. Just not enough of all the other instruments.

Quote by skwelcher
i dont think theres any reason to buy a gibson when you can buy an epi that looks the same
Usually a couple of drinks before we go on (2 or 3 beers), not for nerves but just to get ourselves "in the mood". After the show we get wasted!
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
I don't "drink" before I go on but I find that a vodka and orange or two tends to loosen me up nicely. Any more than that and my playing goes to hell, luckily enough I discovered that on my own last week rather than on stage.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by SG thrasher
Would you drink at work?

Of course not.

If work involved being on stage in front of a crowd and performing solos then I might, yes. Seeing as how work currently involves fixing computers you might be right though...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My timing is awful after a few beers.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
My band does a range of different types of gigs, obviously at the more formal ones no one will have anything before we play. If it's paid but a party enviroment then most of us will usually have one or two pre-gig and if it's a free gig + party enviroment = we get mega pissed. Its very very fun, and thankfully we play quite well in this state.

*That's not me deluding myself, I've watched videos of us. Argubly we're better. Like a few people have said, it does improve people's solos and improvisations. Confidence.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If work involved being on stage in front of a crowd and performing solos then I might, yes. Seeing as how work currently involves fixing computers you might be right though...

The way i see it, if you spend lots of time practicing for a gig and you get drunk you just wasted the weeks you spend perfecting what you have to play.
Quote by SG thrasher
The way i see it, if you spend lots of time practicing for a gig and you get drunk you just wasted the weeks you spend perfecting what you have to play.

Depends how you define "drink" then I guess. If you just mean something like a single pint half an hour before you go on then I don't think anyone would say that's going to destroy your playing but obviously getting completely wasted isn't a good idea at all.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'm in a bar. The bar sells alcohol. I'll have some alcohol. As long as I can still play the set, it's fine. So 3-4 beers/ciders before the set is standard fair. By all means get drunk if you can still play in that state. My drunk playing is ok now, so I can do that and put on a show too. However, I like to stay in a state where I can put on a show.

No point sounding like ass. I can do that by myself, in my room, wearing only my underwear, drinking whisky and crying...

I don't judge how you spend your Saturdays...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If you're specifically looking for a beverage to 'help' your playing, i'd say a stimulant such as anything with caffeine or guarana would be much more beneficial, as they tend to send your senses into override.

Depressants such as alcohol can only have bad effects, though a single beer a half hour before a show wouldn't produce any noticable difference in your playing.

At the end of the day it's up to you and how you feel about your performance whilst tipsy or worse.

I don't tend to use any substances in conjunction with my playing, though I've always had a feeling I'd be really into acid if I could get my hands on any.
Last edited by Robert_Gray at Dec 30, 2008,
Caffeine or guarana is not such a good idea, I get twitches from it so it will screw up my playing.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
I've noticed drinking Fast Fret and Dunlop Lemon Oil tend to improve my playing.

it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Kurapica
I can do that by myself, in my room, wearing only my underwear, drinking whisky and crying...

I don't judge how you spend your Saturdays...

WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY NEW YEARS PLANS!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by von gelb
Caffeine or guarana is not such a good idea, I get twitches from it so it will screw up my playing.

each to their own i suppose, though the twitches gives my playing a cool, though imperfect, "schizo" vibe, which improves the entertainment factor to the show, without being too over the top.

and to the guy who said fast fret, i c wut u did thar.
I am usually working the room before the show, so talking to people and having drinks is what happens. I do have a 4 drink maximum before I play. Afterwards its free game
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I doubt that the guy who has never tried acid would find being on acid in front of an audience would be all that great.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT MY NEW YEARS PLANS!

You should close the curtains...or not
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If I'm just singing, generally I will get wasted, especially if the place we're playing serves booze and doesn't mind giving us freebies even though I'm under 18.

When I'm just on guitar (rare) I don't get wasted but I will have a few. I'm sloppy enough when sober, and it does allow you to do some crazy solos and stuff. Acid and weed do that too.

When playing and singing, generally I limit myself to one or two drinks; to numb the nerves, but enough to remember everything.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I always had a few beers before I got on stage. I kind of loosen up and play better for some reason. I never get trashed until the the bands set was over.

John
depends on your instrument. Singers can get away with quite alot of drink. Drummers on the other hand...
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Kurapica
You should close the curtains...or not

<.<

>.>

*takes curtains off wall*

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.