Page 1 of 2
Which of the two would be better for a heavy, Killswitch-type tone: Laney GH50L or a Peavey ValveKing?

cheers
Maybe buy a pedal with it?
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
I'd go with the valveking. Peavey is wondrous for metal
I don't know who you are, but I'm with you
I want everyone who said Valveking to stand in an enclosed space so I can lob a molotov cocktail into the middle of them.

The Laney will piss all over the VK for metal, and pretty much everything else as it happens. You just need to roll back the gain or your guitar volume a bit for cleans.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
How about going to a shop and trying them for yourself? never buy gear without trying it.

Anyway, the valveking could probably hit the tone you want with some kind of boost, this video should be helpful,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cBBdhXIenR0&feature=related
It's a guy running a tubescreamer through a valveking.

never tryed the laney though
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Last edited by rockdan101 at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
I want everyone who said Valveking to stand in an enclosed space so I can lob a molotov cocktail into the middle of them.

The Laney will piss all over the VK for metal, and pretty much everything else as it happens. You just need to roll back the gain or your guitar volume a bit for cleans.

This.

The Laney is perfect for metal.
The VK just fails.

I guess HC were right, there are a lot of n00bs on here, recommending a VK over a GH.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Eh.... you probably could get something kind of close out of the VK, but you'd have to toss the inevitable overdrive pedal, new tubes and speaker at it, and by the time you've done that you're well over the price of the Laney for something which still wouldn't sound as good. I suppose in America it would make a bit more sense to go the VK route but it's still, well, crap.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Eh.... you probably could get something kind of close out of the VK, but you'd have to toss the inevitable overdrive pedal, new tubes and speaker at it, and by the time you've done that you're well over the price of the Laney for something which still wouldn't sound as good. I suppose in America it would make a bit more sense to go the VK route but it's still, well, crap.

But the Laney would have a nicer tone and more gain to start with.
With the VK, you'd have to put a lot more effort in, and depending on what you use, may not what you want.

In the US, go for a different amp. Like those B-52 things, or whatever.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The Laney.....hands-down
The VK is utter crap compared to the Laney, a lot of noobs recommend it here because it's a tube amp and it can do "metal" and because it's pretty cheap (still overpriced IMO).
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
The Laney....

Although I'd probably recommend E6L6's over EL34's the EL34's are very bright sounding, great for a lead tone that cuts through the Mix

However for drop tunings and heavy metal, the E6L6's should take the harshness out of the tone slightly

Get a real bassy cab to go with it, I recommend the Orange 2x12 but I'm sure an Engl/Mesa/Diezel cab will perform just as well if not better, especially the Diezel
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
^ engl cabs are pretty hi-fi and tight-sounding (the ones i've tried, anyway), if you want warm and bassy i probably wouldn't go with an engl cab.

i haven't tried the gh50L, but based on the other laneys i have tried, i'd have to go with the laney over the VK, assuming you can put up with one channel (plus the boost).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh god.

I can't believe someone actually recommended the ValveKing over the GH50L
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by col50
The Laney is 144816895328918 times better.

+144816895328918
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ engl cabs are pretty hi-fi and tight-sounding (the ones i've tried, anyway), if you want warm and bassy i probably wouldn't go with an engl cab.

i haven't tried the gh50L, but based on the other laneys i have tried, i'd have to go with the laney over the VK, assuming you can put up with one channel (plus the boost).

Ah my apologies on the recommendation with the Engl cab then

I'm right about the others being really bassy though? The Orange sure is, but I'm only making assumptions with regards to the MESA and the Diezel
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
I tried a Laney GH50L through a Marshall 1960 cab, and it kind of lacked chunkyness. Even with bass turned all the way up, it sounded crunchy, but quite thin. I didn't scoop the EQ, in fact, I had a fair bit of midrange (I like me some mids).

When I tried a valveking combo, while it wasn't the fattest amp ever, it was significantly thicker overall, although I had to turn the bass up pretty far.

Am I doin it rong?
Yes you are :P

The cab you were playing the GH50L through obviously had poor speakers, the bass i can get out of my GH100L is insane, which is an Orange 2x12 btw
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Yes you are :P

The cab you were playing the GH50L through obviously had poor speakers, the bass i can get out of my GH100L is insane, which is an Orange 2x12 btw

It was a 412 Marshall 1960B. I doubt that cab, of all cabs, would be lacking in the bass department...
Well, you own the amp, I won't argue with your experience.
Quote by sashki
I tried a Laney GH50L through a Marshall 1960 cab, and it kind of lacked chunkyness. Even with bass turned all the way up, it sounded crunchy, but quite thin. I didn't scoop the EQ, in fact, I had a fair bit of midrange (I like me some mids).

When I tried a valveking combo, while it wasn't the fattest amp ever, it was significantly thicker overall, although I had to turn the bass up pretty far.

Am I doin it rong?

Did you turned on the Resonance switch? My Laney sounds thick as hell and has enough bottom end to shake the walls of my house.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by sashki

Am I doin it rong?

They can be pretty thin amps until you spend a bit of time getting to know them, the balance between the two gain controls is a good example. They also need to be pretty damn loud to start thickening out.

The VK I tried sounded like mud at every possible setting, including some ridiculous extremes that would slay your ears on other amps.

My Music
Quote by sharpant
Ah my apologies on the recommendation with the Engl cab then

I'm right about the others being really bassy though? The Orange sure is, but I'm only making assumptions with regards to the MESA and the Diezel

no worries. i think you're right about the others, but i'm far from certain. i wouldn't like to say, to be honest, just in case i'm wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by timi_hendrix

The VK I tried sounded like mud at every possible setting, including some ridiculous extremes that would slay your ears on other amps.

Yeah, the Laney would probably be your best option. I almost never turn my equalizer off.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Lots of VK haters. Very pleased with my VK100 W Half-Stack. The price was awesome. $550 off Craigslist. Maybe without any pedals it wouldn't be great for everyone, but I have a Boss DS-1 and a PODx3. Either route I go, this amp gives me every bit of what I'm looking for.
Jackson DINKY DXMG
Dimarzio ToneZone
Dimarzio Air Norton
Line6 PODx3
Boss DS1
Peavey ValveKing 100w Half-Stack
Quote by RickBlacker
Lots of VK haters. Very pleased with my VK100 W Half-Stack. The price was awesome. $550 off Craigslist. Maybe without any pedals it wouldn't be great for everyone, but I have a Boss DS-1 and a PODx3. Either route I go, this amp gives me every bit of what I'm looking for.

You don't have to be a VK hater to know that a GH50L absolutely slays a VK.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Dunno. Never heard one so I can't compare.
Jackson DINKY DXMG
Dimarzio ToneZone
Dimarzio Air Norton
Line6 PODx3
Boss DS1
Peavey ValveKing 100w Half-Stack
yeah, in many threads i actually recommend the VK. but if you can get a laney for the same price (and as i said, i'm only judging by the other laneys i've tried), it doesn't make much sense to go with the VK...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'd have to work wonders to get a Killswitch Engage tone from a Valveking. I'm amazed people keep recommending these for metal.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Highwaytohell
Wait a minute...

These amps aren't even in the same price range!

Don't know where you live, but here in croatia laney gh50l is like 50 $ more expensive then peavey.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Wait a minute...

These amps aren't even in the same price range!

He's in the UK, where laney is much cheaper
It's really no contest. Laney hands down. I really wish people would stop recommending the Valveking for metal. It can't do metal very well at all. Yes, it's cheap. But it really isn't worth buying the Tube Overdrive pedal and replacing the speakers in the hope of finding an awesome metal tone, it just doesn't have enough gain.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
It's really no contest. Laney hands down. I really wish people would stop recommending the Valveking for metal. It can't do metal very well at all. Yes, it's cheap. But it really isn't worth buying the Tube Overdrive pedal and replacing the speakers in the hope of finding an awesome metal tone, it just doesn't have enough gain.

What the hell are you on? The VK has TOO MUCH gain for it's own good. It's just that anything past 8 on the preamp gain gets a bit muddy.
It can do metal with a new speaker, but then again, it's dependent on what your definition of metal is and what sound you are going for.

That being said, the Laney is the obvious choice for this situation.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
You'd have to work wonders to get a Killswitch Engage tone from a Valveking. I'm amazed people keep recommending these for metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CI117wHoKQ

Completely stock. Sure, it doesn't entirely sound like them, but it's certainly 'metal'.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=og9O4BGAkxk&fmt=18

The Laney GH100L sounds awesome here, I know it's not the 50L but it's a minor difference right?

Also for KsE type tones this is the same guy playing This Fire from Daylight Dies:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SPUSrseo8AI&feature=related&fmt=18
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
what is with the VK bashing? I don't consider my self a noob and I enjoy my VK. you should have more than a 10min test at guitar centre with a half-arsed attempt at eq'ing and then judge it.
Quote by GaijinFoot
what is with the VK bashing? I don't consider my self a noob and I enjoy my VK. you should have more than a 10min test at guitar centre with a half-arsed attempt at eq'ing and then judge it.

It's backlash from the Valveking bandwagon of about six or seven months ago where every amp thread was answered with "get a Valveking". Now you have the anti-Valveking bandwagon and the Valveking thread garrison who attempt to hold the fort down.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by GaijinFoot

Excuse me? I owned the bloody thing. I was told by all the lovely folks here to buy a Valveking with a Bad Monkey to get a great metal sound, I did, and after persevering with the thing for months I gave up, no matter what I did it sounded like mud. It's true, the OD made it sound better, but it is in no way a 'metal' amp.

I'm sure it suits you guys and your rock music but I considered it a waste of £350. Now I have a much cheaper amp with more gain and better tone and I couldn't be happier with it. If you thing the Valveking can do metal then I'd like to hear what you like to call metal. The only reason that thing sells is because it's all tube and it's cheap.

Just accept that it's not for everyone. You may be well and happy with it but just remember not everyone else will.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Excuse me? I owned the bloody thing. I was told by all the lovely folks here to buy a Valveking with a Bad Monkey to get a great metal sound, I did, and after persevering with the thing for months I gave up, no matter what I did it sounded like mud. It's true, the OD made it sound better, but it is in no way a 'metal' amp.

I'm sure it suits you guys and your rock music but I considered it a waste of £350. Now I have a much cheaper amp with more gain and better tone and I couldn't be happier with it. If you thing the Valveking can do metal then I'd like to hear what you like to call metal. The only reason that thing sells is because it's all tube and it's cheap.

Just accept that it's not for everyone. You may be well and happy with it but just remember not everyone else will.

I recorded this like 20 mins ago just because of this thread
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D1DaVJ7li7A
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Now I have a much cheaper amp with more gain and better tone and I couldn't be happier with it.

Which amp did you pick up?
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Page 1 of 2