We've made 9 songs so far, and now someone offered us Stereo Time.
Maybe they want to release our first album
Are there some tips regarding to stereo recording?
Should we play different or not?
You don't have to hold the door open for me
I can do that myself
I think you mean studio time....

'coz this confused me muchly

if you do mean studio time, there is no real difference in recording techniques i guess other than that you'll most likely be going through a rack instead of playing live, unless thats what your producer wants mind....
synths wrote: no one gives a shit about Franz Ferdinand.
Reply: Explain WWI to me then please?

Presuming you mean Studio Time...

You're most likely to be in a small studio, where live playing would be totally impractical. As a result, you will be recording into the desk in the following manner :

What will happen will be the drums will be recorded first (although possibly at the same time as Bass and Rhythm Guitars). Often, the vocalist will be asked to sing a rough track (or even speak the words into a mic) so tht the rest of the band will be able to keep up.

After the basic tracks have been recorded (Drums, Bass and Rhythm Guitar) the lead guitar will be layered on top. This is slightly easier as you just listen to the pre recorded basic track and come in when you need to (although you can choose to play the rhythm at the same time).

Once this has been sorted, the vocals will be laid on the top. The Singer will do their bit and then afterwards backing vocals will be recorded and added on.

Once all your songs are recorded, you have to sit through the dreaded mixing. This is when the Producer/Sound Engineer/Stand alone mixer guy sits and listens to the songs and sorts them so that they sound like a real song. It is normally best that you are present to oversee this, so that you can have the track sound as you want it. Otherwise, the guy doing the mixing will do it as he sees best.

Once all the songs are mixed thats it! Finished!

Now my advice. Make sure you know each song you're gonna be recording like the back of your hand! If you don't know it properly, you're likely to **** up. That's a problem as your band mates will get stressed, the recording takes longer etc etc. If you do **** up, dont worry, its an alien experience recording for the first time. THe real reason to know everything perfectly is that going back and re recording multiple times is embarassing. Especially if you're an arrogant little lead guitarist (as i once was). The shock from thinking you're God to finding out you can't even play the solo you've been playing week in week out for 6 months at band practice is horrible.Weird as ****. Whats else? Erm....

Aaah yeah, however long you predict a song is gonna take to record.....double it! Honestly, even if you know the song backwards, it inexplicably takes longer to record than you'd expect.

Always listen to what the producer is telling you. If he reckons you need more mids or whatever, go with it. He knows what sounds best, after all he has the qualifications. But seriously he knows best, just go with it. You might think that having scooped mids on your Spider half stack is 'teh brootalz'' but believe me, it isnt!

Make sure you have some form of entertainment with you. Recording is a long and often boring process. Take a book, a gameboy or something with you. Sitting and staring at the walls is not fun. Most larger studios provide some form of entertainment (Table Tennis or Television or something), but the smaller ones often aren't designed to cater for whole bands, so don't expect it. Scout Motto : Be Prepared!

DONT agree to something if you aren't happy with it. If the producer is trying to make you sound like a Jazz band but you are more MEtallica inclined, don't let him! Tell him what you want but accomodate his suggestons aswell.

Also, make sure you are in tune! And that you play cleanly. When you listen to the finished product, tuning issues and poor playing are glaringly obvious! Just listen to the song's LSD and Shut Up and Play in my profile. Aaah the embarassment. :O

SOrry about this essay, but it's just my collected wisdom about recording in a studio, pooled into one large, essay type resource.

Most of all, enjoy your time! It's magical, and not everyone gets a chance!

Peace,

db
Great post, darth!

The only thing, as a person who runs a home studio, that I would take exception with is to suggest that the band let the studio person do the mix on his own. I hate having people who have no idea what they're talking about telling me how to EQ a kick drum. Or having the bass player saying 'more bass' while the guitar player buys into the great fader race and says 'more guitar.' :roll Besides, it's pointless. I will actually take much more time on my own getting a mix just right than I would with four noobs hanging over my shoulder while I do it. Once I have a mix done the way I like it, I call the band back for a listen. THEN we'll adjust whatever needs changed.

Here is a link from my studio site that gives more advice on preparing to record. Note that there are three subsections on the menu from this page.
http://greenroomrecording.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=35

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I knew id forget something. I meant to add in that (most of the time) what you think is right and what the studio person knows is right are two different things.

If you follow what ive said and what axemanchris has said, you should be set for a good time
Thanks, shred!

And darth.... if I knew I was going to get sigged, I would have come up with something more colourful. Like...

Zing!! Darthbuttchin drops the knowledge and slams it home!!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.