I ask this because a few weeks ago I started another thread about how to get a clean tone similar to the one on Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream, and I got a response that Billy Corgan recorded the album with a Marshall JCM800 with KT88 power tubes, which are supposed to have given his amp greater clean headroom than a stock JCM800, which even I know breaks up early for that classic Marshall crunch.

Intrigued, I asked on the tube sticky thread where I got a response that the power tubes weren't very important, and that KT88s are sought after mostly because they look cool.

So do they or don't they?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Power tubes do make a difference, but it isn't very big. I can give more details in like a week when I get my amp back with brand new power tubes.
WTLTL 2011
yes they do provide more headroom, they also have a bit more bass. Power tubes aren't the most significant part of your amps tone, but they are up there. Why do you think people pay so much for vintage NOS tubes?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
OK, because I was thinking of getting a JCM800 clone (a Sovtek Mig 100 head that I saw for a good price today) or a DSL100 and I wondered if sticking new power tubes (or any tubes) would give the amps more clean headroom.

I want a stack because I have unresolved issues with the size of my penis, plus I have a cabinet already.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I imagined they did make a fair bit of difference.
As, american voiced amps usually use tubes like 6L6's while British voiced amps more tend to use EL34's or EL84's... While as far as I can remember 12AX7s seems to be used in all preamps.

Or is the difference in things like tranfsormers/other electronic components/circuit design...?
Adam
If you more clean head room switch out your 12ax7 preamp tubes replace them with a 12at7 . They wont drive your preamp into distortion as quick , therefore getting your power section saturation. Stevie Ray replaced his 12ax7`s for 5751`s . They have the same output as a 12at7. I think the 5751 sounds better.