This year, my school started organising what they call Jam Sessions. They pretty much are jams, but they're in front of audiences, which adds a different element to it. Anyway, I've played for a bit in all of them, just jamming on power chords, TNT, and once on Always on the Run by Kravitz

On the 12th of January, me and a friend are planning to go up there and play two songs, with her singing. One will be Patience by Guns, the other is undecided. I have never really played with her, but we're good friends, so that side of it should be OK. Problem is, we will only really have one chance to practice together, which might not be enough.

Last year, I did something like this with another friend, and we never really practiced enough to iron out problems - we didn't even realise the backing track I was using was in Standard, which is the wrong tuning for most Guns songs. It was a bit of a disaster, but the second time round, it picked up a bit. Anyway, I'm reluctant to have this turn back into that.

The thing is though, that was in a proper concert setting, in the middle of actual bands, with proper skill, etc. This is a jam, so if we are a bit off, it might suit the mood a bit better.

I'm going to work myself to death nailing the lead aspects, and just getting the rest of the song into my brain so that nothing can get it out, enabling me to put on a good show (I plan to play the solo, then in the last bars, where he plays a repeating lick live, jump down off the stage, then go into the coda bit, possibly getting the audience to do backing vocals )

So what do you guys think - should we postpone our "gig" till we've got the songs really tight, or go up there and pretty much improvise it?
Do it man. It's a Jam setting, right? The audience are there to enjoy the music, i assume. Most of them won't really notice the problems. If you keep coming back to it, doing the same stuff and keep getting better, then everythings all right isnt it?

I go to a Jam Night near where i live and sure, im never perfect up there, its difficult to be perfect live. Nerves come in and you're gonna screw up most likely. But hey. It's just a bit of fun, right?

Seriously, id do it man. Then have a few more pratices and get up there and nail it! No ones gonna tell you you're crap so go for it man.
I bet the audience would appreciate it if it was tight.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Aaaaagh, damn conflicting opinions.

In the end, Patience contains four very basic chords, in a very basic rhythm, so even if we did just improvise it with significant practice at home, it would be OK.

I was thinking of the Guns version of Wild Horses - they do it quite a bit, just a couple of chords and lead improvising, then just singing the chorus, we could get the audience in for that...
The way i view it, if you have fun and the audience react in such a way as to suggest they're having fun, that's all that matters.

Id say make sure you do practice together. Its no use going up there having never played your chosen songs together. If you aren't perfect, it don't matter, just make sure you approach the expereience with a view to improve. If you do ths 'gig' the first time fairly unrehearsed and it comes off well, don't be attempted to take that attitude to all gigs.

As a little aside/example : At my Year 11 NRA evening (basically a leavers evening) i got a lil group of friends together to play the Beatles song 'With A Little Help From My Friends' (with a little help from my friends ). Due to conflicting extra curricular activities, we managed to practice twice all together in the 2 weeks before the gig. But that didnt matter much as when we played, yeah we were raw, but the crowd enjoyed it. All of my year were up on their feet waving their arms and singing along and it was a buzz man.
We pulled it off though, because we had all practiced the song on our own at home. If you and your friend make sure you know the song well and have played together at least once and can do it alone easily, you should be set
Most people like watching a solid performance, regardless of the setting.
Quote by gabcd86
Aaaaagh, damn conflicting opinions.

In the end, Patience contains four very basic chords, in a very basic rhythm, so even if we did just improvise it with significant practice at home, it would be OK.

I was thinking of the Guns version of Wild Horses - they do it quite a bit, just a couple of chords and lead improvising, then just singing the chorus, we could get the audience in for that...

before you perform, say you were planning on doing something else, but had a request. so you're giving it a try!
You said they're called "Jam Sessions" man not a full concert. If you ask me just get up there and JAM!!!

Of course, that's just if you ask me. ^^