Hey UG,
I've been helping my friend to finally pick a guitar to buy. He's been playing a Squire Strat so far, and been's really getting into shred but it's just not comfortable enough for him. He wants a guitar strictly for shred and metal (he has the Strat for cleans and other lighter stuff). We've discussed many great guitars in his price range (most recently the Schecter Loomis sig). The problem that's been coming up over and over again is that active PUPs don't have good enough attack (the response is not fast enough) for shred.
True or false on that?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
False. Listen to Jeff Loomis, Rusty Cooley, MAB and many, many more shredders who use active pickups.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Last edited by Ed Hunter at Dec 30, 2008,
Not enough attack? Like I said before on here the EMG 81 cuts like an emo kid who just had a bad day. I hate EMG's under the normal 9v, but 18v its a whole other animal. Actives aren't always the way to go though, and personally I'd much rather have a tube amp if I played actives cause it reacts better with it but anyways to each his/her own.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Actives aren't always the way to go though, and personally I'd much rather have a tube amp if I played actives cause it reacts better with it but anyways to each his/her own.

That's not a problem, since he's getting a Marshal tube combo (TSL 601, I think) to go with the guitar.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's