Hi,

Received this excellent piece of kit for Christmas this year, and I've got a few questions about it:

1) How many UGers have one (be it the UX1, UX2 or another variant of the same sorta thing)? I would recommend one for small-time recorders and general practise, as it can have really good tones and is incredibly versatile without the need for a ton of pedals or a flashy amp with a million models on it.

2) Is there any websites or so on (aside from Line 6's own) where I can download new tones to play with? Would be cool rather than fiddling around for hours trying to find a leet tone for myself only to fail

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm playing around with high-gain tones, for metal and so on, there is only really one amp setting that I like. Everything else, and I mean everything, sounds too muddy, and I've tried everything I can think of to reduce it, turn up mids, turn down bass, reduce gain, put up treble and presence, but it still sounds muddy.

Would be cool if any UGers can guide me through dialing in an awesome tone, or provide some reading material on the subject

Thanks in advance!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
I've had the GuitarPort since it first came out. It's a cool device for getting ideas down quickly to share with others.
I've never found much in the way on non-Line 6 stuff for it online.
The GuitarPort online was a bit of a waste because they updated so little on a monthly basis. The only nice thing about the online feature was the jam tracks and patches.

You can always build and save your own effects chains and amp set ups.
I have the UX2(don't use it anymore), but the best thing you can do is get a sm57 and use the mic input and mic your amp. You're not wrong, the amps are reallly muddy.
Line 6 stuff is really complicated sometimes you can have a really good tone with one setting but when you play %3-5 with it, it suddenly changes to a sht tone. so also try adding pedals compressor noise gate cabs everything if you dont like what you hear.
Hey man, i've had a pod UX1 for home recording and loved it alot! got some great results out of it.

I know what you mean about the muddyness.
Try reducing the gain a bit, using the EQ, changing speaker cabinets and using a pedal such as a tubescreamer in front of the amp.
there are alot of ways you can improve the tone.

i'm very happy with the results i can get from this!
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
I've got the GX. Good stuff. I'd recommend torrenting Guitar Rig 3.

Mine's broken now though It just randomly splutters and turns off when I plug it in, gahh.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I got a UX1 a few months ago and am still very pleased with it. What are you using to actually monitor the sound? (headphones, comp. speakers etc.?) That could be the source of your muddiness.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

its an excellent idea and an excellent piece of hardware, but they do need to work on Gearbox's tones. i have Guitar rig but id really like to be able to use Gearbox, since thats what it came with.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by Volta_91
I got a UX1 a few months ago and am still very pleased with it. What are you using to actually monitor the sound? (headphones, comp. speakers etc.?) That could be the source of your muddiness.

I'm using a pair of headphones from the mid-90s that are still working and still sounding awesome. The muddiness mainly arises when I try to get a decent metal tone. Other tones, like clean, and mid-gain tones sound perfectly clear and fine, so it must just be something to do with high-gain stuff that I'm doing wrong.

I'll take a look at Guitar Rig thingy. Will it work properly with the UX1 like GearBox does? IE just run the software and it'll work?

I have played around with that software before, but I was plugging my guitar straight into my computer's sound card through the mic port, and it sounded awful! :P hopefully with this it should be better.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
In that case, just try playing around with the cabs, mics, and para EQ. You could also try out the Metal Shop add on. There is a 30-day money back guarantee, i think.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

The metal expansion amps are definately better than the basic models.

At the moment im mainly using the fender twin model for cleans with lots of reverb and a compressor and then using my Hardwire DL-8 in front of it - bliss.
Laos

I've had the UX1 for a time now, and I'm tired of always tweaking on the distortion.
Can't get it to sound good enough for me :P

Hey Adam144!
Did you try the UX1 w/ guitar rig software from native instruments??
I've tried the software before, and it sounds awsome!