i bought this kyser dr. stringfellow lemon oil
but im not sure how to use this :3
ive seen many of methods (also the one on the bottle itself!),
but they're not giving me a solid answer.

from what i know at the moment:
1. spray the oil on to a soft cloth
2. wipe the fretboard with the soft cloth
3. leave it for a bit
4. wipe the oil

but im not sure how much i need to spray and how long i have to wait, etc!

my friend use this as a "cleaner" but looking at people on the web, lemon oil is not supposed to be used as a cleaner, right?

also, this video (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O6As0jF9YqI) says lemon oil DRIES the fret board,
but on of the reviews on this page (http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/152-kyser_lemon_oil_4oz) is saying it is intended to "feed" the board!

i am confusled :3, so what actually does a lemon oil do to fretboard?
this kyser lemon oil bottle says "lem-oil" on the top and "fret board conditioner" on the bottom, and this australian video guy is saying as if these two are different things! CONFUSEDDDDDD

so in summary,

1. is my lemon oiling method correct?
2. tell me how much to use, how long i wait and , and some cautionaries
3. does lemon oil DRY, or FEED the fretboard?

thanks guys
the oil is NOT a cleaner, its a conditioner

you only want a little on the fret board and want to remember to wipe excess upon application. the oil will help condition the fret board and prevent drying out and cracking, however if you use too much it will actually damage the fret board causing moisture/mold to form.

use sparingly, wipe excess and you are in good shape

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
lemon oil - the stuff you use for treating unsealed wood - isn't actually lemon oil. Its not derived from lemon juice which will corrode and dry out your fretboard so don't just get some lemon juice from the supermarket and rub it all over your axe. The wood treatment oil is usually distilled water and a cleaning solvent. You'd be best off using Almond Oil or better - Linseed oil. Applying it can be done it various ways. You can either use a super-fine sandpaper (400-600 grit should be ok) and put a few drops of oil onto it, then rub it over the fretboard carefully. But you must make sure your rubbing motion is across the frets, not from bridge-to-nut motion or you will leave rough scratches which makes the strings rattle and not bend well. Other that that you can just use a cloth and a small amount of lemon oil to clean the crap off the frets, then immediately wipe the oil off before it sinks in, then apply the other oil you wish to use with a clean cloth. Leave for...somewhere between 4-8 minutes (keep an eye on it) until a substantial amount has sunk in. Use the fact that the wood is no longer shiny in light to judge this.
Hope this helps
You wont need to do this more than once every few years or you will over oil the wood and it will weaken and crack
There are a lot of lemon oils sold for cleaning that primarily contain petroleum products. These will eventually dry out the wood and may cause cracking. If you use a product that is pure lemon oil, you will not have a problem.

I put one to two drops (depending on the size of the fret) on each fret and lightly rub it in with a clean, cotton cloth. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then remove any excess.

It's that easy!
:S
i still dont understand..
so if it dries the fretboard even more,
shouldnt i just not use it?

and even if there was something benificial, if it dries the fretboard, shouldnt i immidiatly wipe the oil after applying? what good is there to wait?
ultrabyte I'm in your group but try it out- just put a little bit on and then repeat in a year. Use your own judgment but to be safe, just do the whole fret board and be conservative. I'm doing my tomorrow and I did it before and it seemed ok
Quote by Francarus
ultrabyte I'm in your group but try it out- just put a little bit on and then repeat in a year. Use your own judgment but to be safe, just do the whole fret board and be conservative. I'm doing my tomorrow and I did it before and it seemed ok

woah necro!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/