Poll: Improv. or Learn Songs
Poll Options
View poll results: Improv. or Learn Songs
Improv.
38 62%
Learn Songs
23 38%
Voters: 61.
Do you concentrate more on writing your own stuff and improvosational solos, or learning songs. People usually make fun of me because I don't know very many songs, and a try to tell them I usually imrov, and study scales and modes and whatnot, but they don't want to hear it. It just seems like most people just learn songs. I think this poll will reflect that. Anyway, open for discussion.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Last edited by <SpaceTime> at Dec 30, 2008,
atm i'm into learning songs because it is fun and i feel that i need to do something fun
all roads lead to rome
Quote by <SpaceTime>
or copying others songs.

This doesnt seem biased at all
but all the same i'm too lazy to learn songs so i do just improv and come up with stuff
I "improv" (dick around) until I come up with something cool that I can base a possible song around. This happens way more often for me than actual attempts at learning a song.
Quote by marko'd
This doesnt seem biased at all
but all the same i'm too lazy to learn songs so i do just improv and come up with stuff

Sorry...ill change it
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
I tend to focus more on improv, scales, and writing riffs. Though I do also learn songs.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by ShazbotBen
I "improv" (dick around) until I come up with something cool that I can base a possible song around. This happens way more often for me than actual attempts at learning a song.

same here. my schedule:

1. dick around till you find something good.

2. play the hell out of it till you find 5498538743 variations

3. use a couple of those in a self made solo.

done.
I tend to do a bit of both

but if I get carried away writing something then I probably wont have time to learn any songs and vice versa
I just play songs mostly, but just because I'm trying to understand how they fit together. I see it as a preparation for improvising
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
currently, im mostly working on improving my skill and technique
and because i suck at improvising by myself i dont write much
im better at improvising with someone else but their ain't many people who play much metal in my aera
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Mostly just learning songs at the moment. I don't have enough experience to start improvising although occasionally while dicking around I'll find something cool. Mostly just scales and chord arpeggios.
LTD EC-500 - 18v mod
Roland Cube 30
DigiTech RP-7 Valve Guitar Preamp/Multi-Effects Processor
I like making out which scales are used in a song and in what key to improv. the solos of said songs
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
I mostly play scales in random orders and different intervals until I find something good. Also I improv a lot with my new JamMan.
I tend to do both.

HOWEVER, on the solos of the songs I learn, I learn parts. Like the main motifs and improvise my way round the rest.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I'm into playing my own stuff, but I still do occasionally look up other people's songs for fun.
I tend to improvise blues stuff more than anything else. Which is a habbit I must try to break out from and start to learn some new songs.
Currently I focus on song learning to improve skill, and at the same time study Theory. A year or two from now, I really want to get into song writing. I don't improvise/write that much (I do, just like, only when I noodle around when I watch TV) mainly because I don't know how to properly solo over chords. I need to work on arpeggiating chords faster in my head, Learn the modes, Learn more scales, and all their boxes/moveable shapes, etc.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I think that when you start, most commonly you learn songs. This is what I did. After a while of doing that you get to grips with the instrument and go fromthere. I spend alot of time improvising now and writing songs.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Writing + learning songs for me. I find it's too easy to get stuck in familiar patterns if I'm not learning new things.