Poll: Do you go through extreme obsessions with one band at a time?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you go through extreme obsessions with one band at a time?
Yes
128 60%
No
28 13%
I have testicular cancer
56 26%
Voters: 212.
Page 1 of 2
do you people go though severe music obsessions? I have a friend that absolutely gets obsessed with one band for a couple months, to the point of listening to nothing else and always talking about them and switching my ipod to them. Then he switches to a new one. I told him how annoying this is, and he said everyone does that. When i find a new good band or start listening to one i haven't heard in awhile i may listen to them more, but nowhere near that level. Does the Pit go through extreme musical obsessions?

tl;dr
do you get extremely obsessed with one band for long periods of time, then switch?
Last edited by K Dizzle at Dec 30, 2008,
Deathcore

/thread
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
no.. and i find the last option distasteful and completely unfunny.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
no.. and i find the last option distasteful and completely unfunny.

Agreed.

Which is why I voted for it.
Yeah, over the summer I listened to Dave Matthews Band almost exclusively.
Nine planets surround the sun
Only one does the sun embrace
Upon this watered one
So much we take for granted

So let us sleep outside tonight
Lay down in our mother's arms
For here we can rest safely
if i find a new band, i usually listen to them a lot for about a week or two, then they get mixed in with the rest of the bands i listen to.
Every few months I go through an Iron Maiden craze. It goes away but always comes back eventually, like this whole holiday break.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I lol'd that option 3.
I only listened to City and Colour for 4 months, then BTBAM for a month, now I just listen to all different stuff.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
I did that with Lamb of God
Lord help me
but now im in that sortof a phase with Death, although not that extreme i suppose
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Yea, happens all the time. Of course, there are dry spells where I don't find any music interesting, but every now and then I'll get ****ing crazy about one band. In fact, a couple months ago I was listening to nothing but Nightwish, then until about three weeks ago it was nothing but Guns N' Roses due to Chinese Democracy and all that, and now it's Power Quest.

Though, it sometimes sucks, because the band will get burned out very fast (example: after I first found Dragonforce, I listened to them nonstop for like two or three years. have rarely listened to them since aside from the new album, even though they're one of my favorite bands).
LOL AT LAST OPTION.
Oh, and yeah, totally.
Usually with Lamb of God, or DevilDriver
theres bands i always listen to megadeth, trivium, etc but Lamb of God/DD i wont listen to for ages, then ill hear one song and listen to them and only them for like weeks. Its epic :P
Love is my religion
I don't get obsessed with a single band, but I will go through genre crazes, I was a punk kid, then a metal head, then a heavy metal head, then hardcore/deathcore and now back to punk, I guess we all go back to our roots at some point
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
My obsession with A7X stopped for a little while because I didn't really like their new CD, but I saw them live again on the 12th and fell in love all over again.

I've seen them live at least twice a year since 2006...
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Ive done that with a few bands.
First is was 3 days Grace (I Realize I hate them now)
Then it was Thousand Foot Krutch (I realize that they suck now)

And Now you could say its Dethklok/Heavy Metal.
And I don't ill ever turn from it. Heavy metal has a secure place in my heart now. I love it and it loves me. Its a great cycle.
It started with GnR
Then Mötley Crüe
AC/DC after that
Thin Lizzy
Led Zeppelin
Metallica

I listen to them until I can't stand their music anymore, then I come back to them about 2-3 months later and enjoy it and learn some of their riffs.
Teletubbies theme song
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
No. Obviously, I get obsessed with bands. I had my Yngwie Malmsteen time, my Iron Maiden time, my Queen time, my Pink Floyd time, my Steve Vai time, my Gary Moore time...
But it doesn't go to the extreme of not listening to anything else.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Well, if I discover a new band which I really like, I will listen to them a lot, but I'll get bored of them after about a week or two.

After that, I take a break from them, and then they become a standard band in my record collection.

I have my favourites, but I wouldn't say I'm "obsessed" by any of them. I don't own band merchandise, I strive to be like my favourite guitarist or whatever. I've never been to a gig. I just enjoy the music.
Yes, every few months I get obsessed with one band or another.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Yeah but I switch ever couple of weeks or so.

Right now Im religously listening to the clash
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Yes, I've been there with Rammstein, muse, Benny Benassi, Metallica, Iron Maiden, System of a Down, Marilyn Manson and now I'm in my Buckethead era.

EDIT:
Strapping young lad, Within Temptation, Bach.
That's all of them.
Last edited by wesselbindt at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by FFTLxx
I lol'd that option 3.
I only listened to City and Colour for 4 months, then BTBAM for a month, now I just listen to all different stuff.

Nice choices on both counts.

Occasionally I will get obsessed (ie I've been through AOF, Far, ATDI, Mars Volta, Mastodon, PTH and Glassjaw phases, to name but a few) but eventually it'll get lost in my general playlists and occasionally pop up again.

Sometimes I rediscover albums and get heavily into them again (for like a month I wouldn't stop listening to Deja Entendu by Brand New, same with Tell All Your Friends by TBS).

tl;dr

Yes, but I don't give up entirely after.
No, not really. But what I will do is when I start to really like a band, I buy all of their cds and I get a good feel of who they are. But I don't become so obsessed with a band that I don't listen to anyone else.
Yes, it usually coincides with me seeing that band. In November last year, I saw The Hives live and I constantly listened to them for months.
Except that hasn't happened with the last few gigs, my musical obsessions just alternate between (mainly) Turisas, Korpiklaani, Gogol Bordello, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Diablo Swing Orchestra and The Hives.
It really does my 'ed in .
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by K Dizzle
do you people go though severe music obsessions? I have a friend that absolutely gets obsessed with one band for a couple months, to the point of listening to nothing else and always talking about them and switching my ipod to them. Then he switches to a new one. I told him how annoying this is, and he said everyone does that. When i find a new good band or start listening to one i haven't heard in awhile i may listen to them more, but nowhere near that level. Does the Pit go through extreme musical obsessions?

tl;dr
do you get extremely obsessed with one band for long periods of time, then switch?

I had a friend that spent a month or longer on each of these bands in order:
Meshuggah
Disturbed
Slipknot
Opeth
The Acacia Strain

And now that I've lost contact with him, I'm sure he's moved on to black metal.
I have with AC/DC for about a year now

But it used to be Green Day
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Oh yeah. Linkin Park when I discovered music. For like... a year. Then I discovered real music.
"I have testicular cancer" I was shocked how many people voted that way at first, then realised I was on the internet.

I do it with songs more than bands.; sometimes albums, but that's a bit rare. It happens in everything, though. I'll go on my PS and play one game religiously for about a month, then move on and not play it again until I've gone back through the other ten-million I have. lol

The first song I ever did it with was Battery by Machine Head. I'd heard the original, and it was good, but Machine Head's blew me away. I listened to it so much. After that it was low. I listened to it something like 150 times in a row, non-stop. (It's on my Media Player count thing.) I still love it. Did it with Negative Creep by Nirvana and now I'm doing it (This very second) with "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse", but it's not the first time. <3

YJ

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've done it with "Continent" by The Acacia Strain, and both of Emmure's albums. I'd do it with their EP if I could, and I'd force myself to just to make up for not owning it already.

Chimaira, Machine Head and Emmure are the only three bands I can think of that I've done it with their entire catalogue. I've done similar things with QotSA and NiN, but not to the extent of pressing repeat. I did it with Robb Flynn, too. I got all of Machine Head's stuff, (Parting intros etc.) all of Vio-Lence's stuff and the stuff he was involved in from RRUnited on a playlist, hit "Shuffle" and just left it on for ages.
私は嵐の午前
Je suis la tempête
I am the Storm
Last edited by YamiJoey at Dec 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2