Hey everyone,

What would be a good amp for high gain tones (think Killswitch Engage) but still decent cleans, for about $1500 or under? Now, although I prefer the tone of a tube amp, if there's a Solid State that does these things well, I'll go for it. Used is also an option, but I'm a try before buying type of person, and my local craigslist is disappointingly dry.

And please, before anyone suggests stretching my budget, I already know about the higher end amps that would be a damned pleasure to play, but I'm really tight on cash at the moment, and I have other things i need to put my money towards besides an amp. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, one final note: I play with a band, and this amp would be used for practice, band practice, recording, and eventually playing gigs.
Look into some Mesas, JCM 800s, JCM 900s. For modern high gain, a Mesa would probably work REALLY nicely! Check 'em out.
You can surely find a Triple Recto in that budget, although Adam D uses a variety of amps on tour. According to Wikipedia he's used a Hughes and Kettner Triamp, Peavey 5150, Bogner Uberschall, Framus Cobras, Mesa Triple Recto and the Roadster.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I wiki'ed Killswitch Engaged and there were very expesive amps. i also notice they used Peavey 5150's... which is now the Peavey 6505's. And if you get a Peavey 6505 head that is $999.99, or the Peavey 6505+ head that is $1159.99, then get a cheaper cab in your price range ... Like maybe a Peavey Windsor Cab that runs at $279.99. The 6505+ with windsor cab is like 1439.98, and the 6505 with the windsor cab is $1279.98. The difference if you dont know is that the 6505+ has seperate eq knobs for both channels, 6 Preamp tubes, and only 1 input. The 6505 has the same EQ knobs for both channels, 5 pre amp tubes, and 2 inputs 1 low gain, 1 higain. But if you dont want a halfstack they do have a Peavey 6505 Combo amp and it runs at $1199.99, but if played all three and own the 6505+ and the combo doesnt sound like the stacks to me, and they just dont do the stacks justice.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
thanks for the quick responses! To the people reccomending mesa boogie amps, I don't really think they are in my price range, even used. The peavey 6505+ sounds like a good choice, but would it sound good with a windsor cab?

Also, I've heard of Line 6 Spider Valve amps, and from what I hear they're a pretty good choice, is this true? Obviously I've heard about the poor quality of Spider III's, but from what I hear the Spider valve is better.

Again, thanks for the help
The Spider Valve is decent, but a 6505 or used 5150 will be better for you than that.

If I were you, I would pick up the 6505 head and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab from Avatar.
That is in your price range, and it would sound good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by locosenor13
Hey everyone,

What would be a good amp for high gain tones (think Killswitch Engage) but still decent cleans, for about $1500 or under? Now, although I prefer the tone of a tube amp, if there's a Solid State that does these things well, I'll go for it. Used is also an option, but I'm a try before buying type of person, and my local craigslist is disappointingly dry.

And please, before anyone suggests stretching my budget, I already know about the higher end amps that would be a damned pleasure to play, but I'm really tight on cash at the moment, and I have other things i need to put my money towards besides an amp. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, one final note: I play with a band, and this amp would be used for practice, band practice, recording, and eventually playing gigs.

Randall RM50 with a Blackface and Ultra XL or Grail module? Or are you factoring cab in with that $1500?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Randall RM50 with a Blackface and Ultra XL or Grail module? Or are you factoring cab in with that $1500?

sadly I'm factoring the cab into my budget, I had originally aimed to get a Mesa Dual rectifier half stack, but money's tight, so i had to knock back my budget considerably.
Framus Cobra
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
EVH 5150 III

They're out there new for under $1500 US.

Edit: Just saw that you need a cab too. That's a bit more difficult. I'd still go for the EVH, even used if you can, & get a 2X12 Avatar cab.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Dec 30, 2008,
Peavey 6505+

The 6505+ HAS good cleans but people just don't understand how to use the channel.

Simply put, go try out a 6505+ and see if you like it. Because if you do I think its pretty much perfect for you.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by locosenor13
sadly I'm factoring the cab into my budget, I had originally aimed to get a Mesa Dual rectifier half stack, but money's tight, so i had to knock back my budget considerably.

You could always try the Randall in the store, see if you like it. Then find one used to buy, knocking at least a couple of hundred off of your cost. Also, you could get the modules used for about $150 (blackface and XL) and $200 (Grail, maybe less though). That would probably leave you with about $300-500 for a cab depending on the price of the head. For that you could get a used Mesa 2x12 or one from Avatar (trust me, a 2x12 is beastly if you haven't used one). Like I said, find a way to try them out, then buy what you need used.

On the Spider Valve, it's actually a pretty nice amp, but it's still got some digital feel to it that you won't get with the Randall. And once again, I suggest a 2x12 (your back will thank me), at least until you can afford a decent 4x12 later (maybe on your next birthday )
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores