I know les pauls are good for bluesy hard rock (GNR,AC-DC, Led Zeppelin). But are they good for straight up Metal, Progressive and Shred?

I like everything form Testament, Early Metallica,Slayer, to Yngwie, Jason Becker, shred stuff to Yes, Genesis prog stuff.

Any thoughts?

I really like LP's, but are they versatile enough for what I want to play?
i played the Epi prophecy les paul EX and its great for metal and shred stuff
it has active pickups (emg 81/85)
24 fret neck
tune o matic stopbar bridge
and a very nice finish

here is a pic
http://www.guitarsite.com/news/images/guitar/lespaulex.jpg
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 30, 2008,
i love les pauls and they are among the most tonally rich guitars you can own.. but i just could not justify calling any 22 fret fixed bridge guitar good for metal/progressive.

les paul pickups get muddy on the low end in high gain situations as well, i dropped an alnico 8 in mine to solve this problem and the distorted 6 string chord clarity is MUCH higher than my jackson with either the JB or the Blackout Metal in it: however, the harmonics are not quite as defined and the neck is just not very comfortable for progressive type playing. but it's by no means bad for metal: there are just normally better options for the price
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Do you think its a versatile guitar good for many other styles too? I play all kinds of stuff so I want to make sure the guitar has a pretty good variety of tone.
yep, i've got a epiphone les paul custom, and you can get metal tones, you just need a good metal amp. And you can always replace the pups too. Actually, Syn Gates used a Les Paul in the live Unholy Confessions vid.

Edit: I agree that they arent the best for metal, but they can do it
Last edited by marco515 at Dec 30, 2008,
i really dont think it matters who plays what. iron maiden plays strats but i wouldn't necessarily call them good for metal either?

yes the les paul is a very versatile guitar: but i wouldn't take a ferrari out on sand dunes, if you know what i mean.
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
LPs truly are a versatile guitar. You can never go wrong, as long as sounding great and not having a whammy bar aren't a problem for you.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Hell YES!! they're good for Metal !!

You can also look into an ESP Eclipse or Ltd EC-1000 for more metal looks and slight playability differences from an authentic LP.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION