I was reading the "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" article here on UG and found a few comments about how certain bands (Metallica and GNR mostly) should just "give up already"

or any other such phrase.

Not only there, but everywhere.

You always see comments such as "throw in the towel", "they're washed up" etc etc

This got me thinking about these "washed up" bands and whether or not they should quit, and it occured to me.

They are musicians and this is what they do.
If you go to some medieval fair and see a guy playing Bagpipes and his 60 some years old....he's still playing

B.B. King is how old these days? In his 80's?
How about Les Paul? He's in his 90's I beleive.

And no, they are probably not as good as they once where, but they are still putting out music and playing it.

why?
Because they are musicians and that is what they do.

I want to continue making music until I die.

So why should Metallica stop making albums?
Why should AC/DC call it quits?

I was just wondering if anyone else ever looked at it all this way or not.

*****tl;dr****

Should musicians really stop playing when they reach certain ages just becuase they are not as good as they used to be?
It's what they do for a living, so why should they not continue to do so?
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
My good amp broke, should I stop playing because all I have is my ****ty practice amp?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
If it gets to the point that they've done the same thing(s) for too long, they've made their impact on the music industry, and it's obvious they're just doing it to make money, they should quit.
Quote by BlackandSilver
My good amp broke, should I stop playing because all I have is my ****ty practice amp?

If you mean this in the sence of "NO JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE THE BEST STUFF DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD STOP"

Then I completely agree with you, thank you!

...if that's not what you meant, then I have no clue what you're trying to get at here, haha
Quote by sluffinator

Quote by ScreamingCheeto

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Quote by BlackandSilver

nope, cause that can be fixed
"When the world doesn't agree...When humanity is against us....don't back down....rebel...VEX THE PACT"
I'm tired of certain bands that now suck but limp onward using their past success as a crutch. They can sell thousands of albums despite the quality just because of they were once good.
Quote by Powerhouse
If it gets to the point that they've done the same thing(s) for too long, they've made their impact on the music industry, and it's obvious they're just doing it to make money, they should quit.

Yeah, pretty much. Yes they are musicians and it's what they do. If they're doing it for themselves, and for the music, and not for just more money, than that's cool.
We're only strays.
i hate when people complain how bands shouldn't go on cause they think they suck, and the music is so terrible.
don't listen it, other people still like it
"When the world doesn't agree...When humanity is against us....don't back down....rebel...VEX THE PACT"
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Yeah, pretty much. Yes they are musicians and it's what they do. If they're doing it for themselves, and for the music, and not for just more money, than that's cool.

I guess this is a point
but if you're a professional musician... doesnt that mean you're partially doing it for the money?

I mean granted most people who go into music do make make much money (I'm in school for music and I'm looking at a starting salary of... about 20,00 most likely...so obviously I'm not here for the money)

but let's face it
I dont think many Rock Stars are qualified for any "real" jobs...
Quote by sluffinator

Quote by ScreamingCheeto

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

GnR should give it up because they simply arent good anymore, where as Metallica still have something to offer the world of music.
I think GnR (Axl) should quit, unless theres some sort of divine intervention and the original lineup can get back together. Metallica isnt doing too bad, but that kinda music doesnt seem to be as popular now as it was in the 80s and 90s. As long as bands still have fans, and are able to draw decent crowds at their shows, they shouldnt stop.
Interpol should throw in the towel. Our Love to Admire is one of the worst albums I've ever heard.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
They can stillplay in their basements
but there comes a time when their junk just clogs up shelf spacing
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by Chasec718
i hate when people complain how bands shouldn't go on cause they think they suck, and the music is so terrible.
don't listen it, other people still like it

there we go, I'm just gonna +1

easier than formulating my own opinion. his is good enough
Quote by DimebagRob
GnR should give it up because they simply arent good anymore, where as Metallica still have something to offer the world of music.

Funnily enough I loved Chinese Democracy and believe that Meallica are no longer a good band(liked their material up to load)
And musicians shouldn't just give up because they are no longer as good as they used to be. Its your choice whether to listen/care about them.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by mr kipling
Funnily enough I loved Chinese Democracy and believe that Meallica are no longer a good band(liked their material up to load)
And musicians shouldn't just give up because they are no longer as good as they used to be. Its your choice whether to listen/care about them.

Well in the end opinion is what it all comes down to.