so im selling a lot of my gear to pay for some loans i took out cuz im a broke mofo lol. so im looking for something replace my vht. i wasn't too fond of the vht and was considering replacing it anyways, too many features for me, too much versatility (i know right, when will u hear that), and just too many watts for my purposes.

now what im looking for is something under 700 bucks. and dont give me any of the usual suggestions like GO TUBE cuz im not only looking at tube amps but there isnt much good for solid state in that price range anyways but if you guys know of any let me hear it.

i play mostly metal but i can appreciate lighter gain styles but if it cant do a decent metal tone then dont tell me about it. id prefer NOT TO USE A BOOST PEDAL. i dont like pedals, i dont like stomping around i like using my guitar controls instead. pedals just add to the confusion of the tone formula. id much rather prefer something low wattage somewhere around 15-50 watts. no 100-280 watt monstrosities please (means no 5150 and bugera ppl!!). altho a 5150 combo may be cool except i also want to save on retube costs! i dont need a million tubes going on in there lol.

now as far as the tone i like, id prefer the tone of a 6l6 tube amp over the the el34, i want a more american sound over a british sound. mesa hi gain, peavy hi gain area. that was what kind of bothered me about my vht, i couldnt get out of the british mode lol. everything i played sounded british, which is fine and dandy but i want out, not that i dont like it, just in my experience playing around with amps i prefer the 6l6 tree of tubes.

i dont need massive amounts of gain, the tone i like for metal is rather low gain in other's eyes really. i played with an egnater rebel and had a lot of fun with it, it was a bit too warm but it was on 1 watt mode and bass kinda heavy on there, didnt get to mess with it too much and maybe i will later but i really liked it for the little bit i mess with it. so that if that helps, the gain was on 10 on that and it was overkill for me on the gain department. that amp would be perfect if it didnt have the dual power tube stages.

ive also looked at krank rev jr and read that they are made in china and the pro versions crap out a lot. so maybe the standard version is better and i think read somewhere those are made in the US. also heard that they are rushing with the pro versions cuz of high demand, probably the cause of all the issues. that was going to be the amp of choice for me however but all that turned me away. unless someone can confirm the standard version is better?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
So a small, tube amp which will do med-high gain... Tiny Terror? Blackstar HT-5, dunno if you can get them...
i cant think of what its called, its peavey, and its the miniature version of satrianis sig amp.
or a mesa express 5:50. you can switch it down to 5 watts.

edit/ i thought of it, the peavey mini colossal.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
yeah i dont like the jsx. tried it. totally didnt like it. and that thing is tiny lol. im not looking for a practice amp. just something for smaller applications. for terms u guys are used to, small - medium sized gigs, enough volume for micing stadiums. altho that has nothing to do with me that may help for the kind of amp im looking for. i dont play low volumes lol i play loud but i can never ever be able to crank a 100 watt let alone a 50 watt head so 20-30 watts is what im looking at.

i have considered the tiny terror but yeah its that british ness about it that turns me away. if it wasnt i would love it. i love the thunderverb series from orange, very brutal. i know its not the power tube types that judge the brit or american ness of an amp but its a good give away half the time lol. i know of one place where i can try a tiny terror and im a bit lazy to go out that far to try it getting looks from the owner whom i know. almost bought a powerball from him and i like played all his amps and bought nothing, not exactly on his good side considering i emailed him about something and he never got back to me =/

its the amp shop if anyone knows about it. arnie is the owner. talked to to him directly for most of my amp research. a lot of great stuff in there tho. nothing was lame in that store, just so costly lol.

the express is too costly, even used, ive looked =/. it couldve been a good choice tho. the only option from mesa that ive really considered is the f-30/50. and trust me ive looked at ALL of them and thats the one that fits the bill the best, price, tone and wattage. i may just end up getting that.

NOW as far as combos go....it needs to be a 1x12 lol. no 2x12's cuz thats just overkill not to mention defeating the purpose of a combo's portability. so thats what drives me away from a 5150 combo and not to mention its excessive need for 6 gain stages?! I need 4 at the most but i do fine with 3 . so maybe a f-30/50 combo would do me well but they are borderline budget for me and im not sure if my sales will go as planned and my budget may be as low as 400. saving up isnt really something i want to do but i can wait, i hardly play much and a lot of the time its acoustically lol. besides i waited half a year for my buzzbomb to come so i have powers of patience!!

o and i checked out teh blackstar, not my taste and too low in wattage, may get squealy and no headroom.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
o if anyone has tried it the bogner alchemist series of amps are totally the sound i was going for. really nailed everything i wanted and the added feature of delay and reverb on there was really cool and made your solo's epic lol. the cabs they have dont handle metal low end well but i got a cab already so thats not a problem.

and if you havent tried them out people, you have my word, they are amazing. 20 or 40 watts 6l6 power. every bogner ive tried really rocks tho. if only i could afford them lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Well it seems like you've about narrowed down your choices. At this point, you need to see what you're budget is actually going to be. You're getting close to putting so many limitations on what you want, that their won't be any amps to fit the description.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
yeah i know right? heh i was just hoping someone would be able to give me something i havent seen yet but ive been doing research on this for quite a while now and its frustrating that i cant seem to find something to fill the bill perfectly. i think i will just try and save up for the f-50 tho

hey i heard that 6v6 tubes and el84 tubes are kind of unreliable, what have you guys heard about that? maybe thats just in combo amps. thats one thing that turns me off about combo amps, the poor tubes will suffer under my treatment. and i definitely dont have the kind of money to be dropping on NOS jan tubes or something to get super military grade tubes that will withstand that kind of treatment.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
I haven't heard about those tubes being unreliable at all. And tubes do just fine in combos. I'm not sure how you're tougher on a combo than you would be on a head?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
well i thought since the tubes are nearer to the speakers and they share the cab instead of being seperated. like the cab vibrates with the speakers causing the tubes to die out sooner wouldnt it? and because of the seperation in a head version that wouldnt happen i think. rubber feet also absorb a lot of the vibration i assume, well maybe not a lot lol. but isnt that the common knowledge of it? i wouldnt know from personal experience tho just going off what i read. but if that isnt the case maybe ill just get a combo and maybe sell my buzzbomb to get more money for the combo.....but thats gonna be a tough decision considering i wanted so long for the thing and i havent owned it for very long lol. altho it is totally overkill for any head im considering to get what with its 250 watts -_-.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
I don't think any problems with tubes being in a combo are big enough to worry about. If that was a serious issue, you wouldn't see as many combos as you do. But, if you do hang on to your cab, you could probably save a bit of cash by getting just a head rather than a combo. It's just something to consider. I wouldn't let fear of tubes not being safe in a combo factor into the decision.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
hmm i suppose then. i know that it is cheaper to get a head tho. not by much tho. like 100 bucks or more maybe. altho there is the worry of not liking the speaker lol. so many factors >_<. but im mostly looking for a head anyways. altho it would be kinda cool to take a my amp to places easier cuz its a combo. i never take my vht since its such a hassle. did it once but it wasnt very cool cuz i couldnt crank it past 1. hence my need for a much lower wattage. hell my old spider II 30 watt was too much lol. i lent it to a friend for a gig and it was overkill altho it was only like 40 ppl . loud as f**k tho but it was mic'd. sounded pretty decent for a spider i must say.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
hmm i suppose it helps to write things out but this thread helped clear my mind and remind of my options and its pretty much narrowed down to the f series mesa's and the krank rev jr standard (since the pro version seems to have way too many issues that are not tolerable).

well uh thanks ppl. but as always shoot me some ideas you may have for me and maybe you can point me out the best amp ive ever seen lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
the f series mesas are really great. pretty versatile as well.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
do they come with crappy stock tubes? thats what i heard... but isnt it just plug and play with the fixed bias granted u get the right grade of tubes?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!