Hey, I know this is a n00b question, but what are some easy blues songs for a beginner? And what exactly is the 12 bar blues? I never really understood that.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Hey, I know this is a n00b question, but what are some easy blues songs for a beginner? And what exactly is the 12 bar blues? I never really understood that.

Most blues songs are quite easy, but check out Eric Clapton's Sunshine of Your Love.

Use the Search bar for the 12 bar blues question, I can't properly explain it to you unless you know musical notation.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Essentially, a 12-bar blues is a common progression in all sorts of music. you start in a given key, the "first" note in that key, so to speak. goes something like this.

(key of A)

A///A///A///A///
D///D///A///A///
E///D///A///E///

Essentially, that's the pattern. many blues songs follow this. a scale in the key of "A" has certain notes, that don't necessarily appear in that order in other scales. The "first" of the key of A is, obviously, an A. a 12-bar consists of the "first", the "fourth", and the "fifth" of a given key. In the case of A, its' an A, a D, and an E.

Don't think that was helpful, but there ya go.

And, just to say, I think Jack Bruce of Cream had more to do with writing Sunshine of Your Love than Clapton did.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Are there any relatively simple SRV songs, or are they all crazy difficult?

Also, any chicken-picking excercises? You know, like that guy that I use as my avatar?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You could look up the acoustic version of life by the drop by SRV. It would still sound pretty sweet electric and is relatively easy
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
Hmm...an SRV acoustic song. Sounds enticing, considering how much I loved his all-too brief appearance on MTV Unplugged. Can you say 12-string Pride and Joy?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone?

What are some good blues "practice drills" to work on? You know, technique stuff.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Hmm...an SRV acoustic song. Sounds enticing, considering how much I loved his all-too brief appearance on MTV Unplugged. Can you say 12-string Pride and Joy?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone?

What are some good blues "practice drills" to work on? You know, technique stuff.

Yea. Its pretty awesome. Its not the most difficult song but its a great starting place.

For good drills theres a website.

www.metalmethod.com

Theres a SRV style dvd that is amazingly good.

Make sure you know your minor pentatonic modes also. They will be your best friend in blues.
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
Quote by Natrone

Quote by Natrone
Are there any relatively simple SRV songs, or are they all crazy difficult?

Answer to both= "Look at Little Sister."

A classic example of 12 bar blues by SRV.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Any more that could be offered would be greatly appreciated!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
The 12 bar blues, is the blues. If you can do that, you can basically play rhythm for any blues band. Now, where it gets complex is in the licks, runs, and expressions. There is no such thing as an easy blues song. Maybe you can play a few songs, but can you feel it?

Basically, i can sit here and type all night long about how no body on here feels the blues, but i learned to play the blues, by playing it. My teacher taught me a new technique or three every week, and that week i would go home and listen to the blues. I'd figure out the key, and just WAIL on it.
Find a band, or a guitar player you like, and try it with they're stuff.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Most songs by Cream are relatively easy and simple 12 bar blues and should give you a good introduction to the playing style. Check out Outside Woman Blues, Strange Brew, Born Under a Bad Sign, SWLABR, Sunshine of Your Love, Crossroads, and White Room.
look up justinsandercoe on youtube or use his site which i think is justinguitar.com

free resources with loads of blues based information.

alternatively use google or the search bar here at UG... search for "guitar blues lesson" and you will have enough stuff to practice for the rest of your life.
Thank you please.