I read the thread and its very helpfull etc etc, but i have a couple of questions.

I've been anchoring since is started and after recently hearing about how its bad and everything, have decided to learn to 'walk without clutches'.
So for the last few days, ive been practicing everything i know but without anchoring, and it hasn't been as bad as i thought. I'm getting used to it pretty quick.
Before i become completely at one with this method, i want to make sure im learning it the right way because i don't want to learn something completely wrong.

Firstly, what i do now is to try not to touch any part of my arm on the guitar. I can manage this, but it does sort of feel like im trying to lift up a small weight while im playing. My arm feels like it should naturally touch the guitar. Is it bad to do this.

Secondly, before when i anchored my wrist just behind the bridge, i mainly just used my wrist to pick. With the non-anchoring method ive got two ways that i end up playing. One way is to move my whole arm (below the elbow) to pick. If i do it this way i find it hard sometimes to tremelo pick on one string. The other way is to only move my arm to position the pick over the string, and then i use a wrist movement to actually pick the string. I prefer this but it takes more concentration. I hope i explained that properly. How should i pick the string when not anchoring?

Im probably making a big deal out of nothing, but i don't want to spend all my time practicing something wrong.

/wall of text

EDIT:

I have another question but don't want to make a new thread.
When tremelo picking or playing very fast on one string, i find it hard to make my picks small enough in distance. I end up making very large sweeps so i can't hit the string at a fast rate and steady pace. Im learning a solo with lots of hammerons and pulloffs and tremello on the high E string and my pick just travels to far to get the speed. As soon as i anchor though its fine. Even if i just touch my finger somewhere i get that control. Is it down to practice> Or are there some instances where you have to anchor?
Are You Shpongled..?
Last edited by nugiboy at Jan 5, 2009,
not all contact with the guitar is considered anchoring, i sometimes keep the side of my wrist near the bridge depending on what im playing because it is a pivoting point and doesn't cause any loss of motion, but i usually keep my hand off except when palm muting

and thank for reading the sticky first, 90% of people don't
edit:
Quote by systemic
Anchorings preference man, not a must-not-use

any experienced guitarist will tell you it's better not to and will slow you down, and can cause carpel tunnel syndrome
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 30, 2008,
Anchorings preference man, not a must-not-use

I don't agree with you about the not resting your forearm on the guitar body but like i said.. preference
whats anchoring?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
whats anchoring?

when you rest you hand or fingers in any part of the guitar while picking.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Firstly, what i do now is to try not to touch any part of my arm on the guitar. I can manage this, but it does sort of feel like im trying to lift up a small weight while im playing. My arm feels like it should naturally touch the guitar. Is it bad to do this.

Yeah, you shouldn't really have to lift your arm up more than a mm off the guitar, it can touch the guitar if the alternative is a worse overall position for tension.

Ie, no one expects you to completely avoid touching the guitar.

Secondly, before when i anchored my wrist just behind the bridge, i mainly just used my wrist to pick. With the non-anchoring method ive got two ways that i end up playing. One way is to move my whole arm (below the elbow) to pick. If i do it this way i find it hard sometimes to tremelo pick on one string. The other way is to only move my arm to position the pick over the string, and then i use a wrist movement to actually pick the string. I prefer this but it takes more concentration. I hope i explained that properly. How should i pick the string when not anchoring?

The second method is ideal. Imagine a painter on a crane - you wouldn't expect the crain to do the fine work while the painter stands still, nor would you expect the crane to sit and the bottom and the painter to stretch and jump - the fine work is wrist, the large obvious motions are elbow.
Quote by nugiboy
The other way is to only move my arm to position the pick over the string, and then i use a wrist movement to actually pick the string. I prefer this but it takes more concentration.

That way. Basically, you want to keep yourself centered on the string you are picking. By this I mean..ok, example.

1) Stop, then pick some notes on the high E string. Should feel pretty comfortable. Note where your wrist/hand is in relation to the high E string.
2) Now do a little run starting on the low E string, and working across the strings before ending with some notes on the high E string. Stop, and without adjusting your hand, examine where your wrist and hand is in relation to the high E string. If it is has the same relationship as in 1) when you were just picking the high E string, then you are in good shape.
Quote by magnum1117

oh.....ok thanks man

anchoring is all about preference.. you have to try both (non anchoring and anchoring) and then you can make a choice..

i would pick the one that for you, gives the least tension, so that you can have a vry relazed arm / hand while playing, as this makes playing alot easier, and also makes your playing sound smoother..

anyway i anchor abit, not that i push my hand toward the guitar, my pinky is just resting on the middle or brighe pickup of my strat... then i use a combination or wrist motion and right hand index finger and thumb to move the pick (picking)

If i play soft things, with clean and just strooking chords, and maybe trying to give it a funky feeling or whatever i don't anchor, my hand just hangs loose

third, when i fingerpick i don't anchor, i just have my hand levitation above the strings, so that i can fingerpick all the strings without having to move my hand at all, it is all finger work (classical guitar playing style)

/wall of text²
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
Quote by padgea7x
oh.....ok thanks man

no prob.

make sure you check freepower's threads.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by magnum1117
no prob.

make sure you check freepower's threads.

oh i know hes soooooooo fricking usefull if i ever get lost in a desert and can only have one thing i'd ask for his threads

Quote by magnum1117

I just wanted to add to this a bit. It's down to how much contact and how hard. If you are lightly resting, or brushing the guitar with your fingers it is fine. Anchoring is more when you are pressing down a bit, creating a sort of pivot point that everything else has to move around.

Honestly, if someone says "don't anchor" (or basically any other advice), it's important to say "why is this guy on the internet telling me not to anchor"? In other words get to the bottom of the reasons behind it.

The underlying reason is freedom of motion. If you have part of your body unnecassarily attached to the guitar, then the rest of your guitar playing body parts will not be as free to move as they would be otherwise.

To make an extreme example - lets say you literally superglued your pinky to the body of the guitar just below the high E string. Although you could still play, you wouldn't be able to very well, and you'd have to make a lot of unnatural motions and stretches to accomodate for the superglued pinky. That's basically why anchoring is bad (though not quite that bad, obviously).
Last edited by se012101 at Dec 30, 2008,
hmm se12101 in you youtube vid have you tuned your guitar?

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
^ its a little bit off. about half a semitone. I wasn't planning to record anything that day, was just messing around and got in the zone and went with it, so there you have it!
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
anchoring is all about preference..

Yes it is, as is just about anything you do.

Think about preference as a vast 3 dimensional space. Somewhere in that vast,
pretty much infinite space of preferences is a single point, or perhaps very small
area. This represents a sum total of preferences that is equivalent to being
"an unlimited master of anything you want to do on the guitar". Out of the vast
array and combination of preference choices, not many will intersect in this
area.

So, a question to ask yourself is : "Am I in that area?". If not (probably not), you
have chosen either the wrong preferences, or haven't explored all the preferences,
or didn't even realize many of the preferences even existed.

A preference is simply a choice. You can choose wisely or unwisely. Some choices
will lead closer to the sweet spot, some further away -- they are polarized choices.
Some choices are relatively neutral. As far as choices go, I'd say the anchoring
question definitely goes into the polarized variety.
Quote by se012101
I just wanted to add to this a bit. It's down to how much contact and how hard. If you are lightly resting, or brushing the guitar with your fingers it is fine. Anchoring is more when you are pressing down a bit, creating a sort of pivot point that everything else has to move around.

+1
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by se012101

Honestly, if someone says "don't anchor" (or basically any other advice), it's important to say "why is this guy on the internet telling me not to anchor"? In other words get to the bottom of the reasons behind it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think what you said here and what other people have said is right. I shouldn't be focusing energy on trying not to touch the guitar because that would be putting unecessary pressure on my arm instead of making it as relaxed as possible. I think im going to let my arm rest on the guitar, but only as much as gravity makes it, if that makes sense.
Are You Shpongled..?
that makes pretty much sense, anyway a little hint; try to make a video of yourself, lets say each month (if you have some sort of camera or webcam or whatever).. then often you can see if you are doing something that looks very weird, and also compare with earlyer videos to see if you are developing bad habbits..

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
Kramer Voyager
Fender Classic 50 strat
When tremelo picking or playing very fast on one string, i find it hard to make my picks small enough in distance. I end up making very large sweeps so i can't hit the string at a fast rate and steady pace. Im learning a solo with lots of hammerons and pulloffs and tremello on the high E string and my pick just travels to far to get the speed. As soon as i anchor though its fine. Even if i just touch my finger somewhere i get that control. Is it down to practice> Or are there some instances where you have to anchor?
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy

Yes.
Quote by nugiboy

When you have a good picking hand technique, you can anchor and unanchor without making too much effort. So, yes, is it down to pure practice.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by nugiboy
When tremelo picking or playing very fast on one string, i find it hard to make my picks small enough in distance. I end up making very large sweeps so i can't hit the string at a fast rate and steady pace.

I've skipped the whole thread so it might have been said.

Use a heavy or extra heavy pick. Basically, one that doesn't flex at all. If it flexes when striking the string, then that means the pick is going to have to travel further until it gets past the string.

Also, make sure your picking with only the very tip of the pick.
i anchor, but only when I'm fingerpicking something that doesnt need my pinky. its kinda weird
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"