Page 1 of 3
Hey all. I just wanna ask a question: why does it seem like no matter where you go, there are closed minded people who are fanatics of certain bands and want to kill other bands? I mean, these people have no toleration of other bands except the ones that they enjoy listening to. Why can't they enjoy music for what it is without bashing it?
Because the feeling of musical superiority gets kids on the internet off like Runsecape of Halo 3.

Do you actually want a real answer?
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Thats how they wanna be man. To each his own. Unless he kills one of my favorite bands, then its on...
There are close-minded people everywhere, not just in the world of music. Although the first reply pretty much sums it up for why it happens on the web.
Thanks. I'm just getting tired of certain people bashing other bands just because its not their favorite band.
Thanks. I'm just getting tired of certain people bashing other bands just because its not their favorite band.
Why is this in the metal forum? Are you implying that it is the metalheads that are closed minded? Because that is what it looks like.
Bashing others' musical tastes makes me feel better about my small penis.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Personally, metal is my personal favorite type of music genre, so that's why I stuck it in here. Plus, metal is starting to get a popularity rise, I believe.
Quote by metalisawesome
Plus, metal is starting to get a popularity rise, I believe.

That depends on what sub-genre. I think some people get ticked off because what is getting popular currently is a huge misrepresentation of the 'rest' of metal, and regular people end up grouping 'metal' under one big umbrella, when it's actually extremely diverse...

So then people try to distance themselves from the crap.
i...i don't get it. Most people like more than their 'favorite bands'. if you're implying that people don't like bands that they don't enjoy listening to...well, yeah, that'd make a bit of sense, wouldn't it? and if you're asking them why they talk about it, it's because discussions are allowed to be negative. it's a forum, if everything that was said was positive it'd get pretty ****ing boring.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Evil Hat
i...i don't get it. Most people like more than their 'favorite bands'. if you're implying that people don't like bands that they don't enjoy listening to...well, yeah, that'd make a bit of sense, wouldn't it? and if you're asking them why they talk about it, it's because discussions are allowed to be negative. it's a forum, if everything that was said was positive it'd get pretty ****ing boring.

He's talking about rabid fanboyism/rampant elitism. I.e., the guys who cling to their uber-kvlt raw BM bands and trash everything else. They're fairly uncommon here.
I like all kinds of bands. My favorite band is Metallica, and I am a huge metallica nut. But I still listen to all sorts of other types of music. I do know some people that stick to one band all the time, and I think that is the worst thing someone can do if they want to become a musician. They will never get original or a sense of what else is out there.
Quote by Scourge441
He's talking about rabid fanboyism/rampant elitism. I.e., the guys who cling to their uber-kvlt raw BM bands and trash everything else. They're fairly uncommon here.

i suppose so, but the majority of 'tr00' black metal fans genuinely like black metal and prefer it to other genres of music, as opposed to doing it to fit in with the underground crowd. if those are their actual tastes, i fail to see why they shouldn't be able to discuss them. of course, if these discussions involve pointless flaming of every even moderately mainstream band, that'd be a problem, but that's not due to the guy's tastes, but rather the fact that he's an idiot.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Too often, what music is happens to be 'bad.' In such cases, I dislike it for what it is.

You should have stricter standards. Also, get off the moralizing high horse. Pretending to like bad music just makes you a poofter, it doesn't make you a morally superior human being. Open minded = brain fell out.
Quote by Purandara
Pretending to like bad music just makes you a poofter

That's not what this thread is about.
Jesus, not another one of these 'elitists' threads.

TS, as long as you like the music why should it matter what other people say about it? Lots of people dont like their black or death metal diluted with choirs and keyboards for example, and thats their choice to make.

And 'wanting to kill other bands'? Thats a bit far-fetched, isnt it?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
And 'wanting to kill other bands'? Thats a bit far-fetched, isnt it?

Not if you're Varg
Touche....
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
However many metal elitists there are out there, there are at least 5 times as many kids that listen to A7X, BMFV and Atreyu, and whine about metal elitists in an attempt to self-justify their musical tastes. Grow up. Elitism is not that common.
Jesus Christ, how did it end up like this? What I meant was that people immediately hate bands for no reason, even if they have more talent than their favorite band.
Quote by metalisawesome
Jesus Christ, how did it end up like this? What I meant was that people immediately hate bands for no reason, even if they have more talent than their favorite band.

Talent is subjective.
They don't hate them for no reason, they just don't like their music. Just because you like them doesn't mean other people will.
Quote by Purandara
Sure it is - you just aren't paying attention to the implications of what's being argued here.

The point of the thread is that taste can be as narrow or as open as you want it, so long as you at least realize the effort it takes to make said genres what they are/what the appeal of the genre is.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Not if you're Varg

Yeah, I mean killing a guy who stole from you and was threatening your life is totally analogous to killing a band because you don't like them.
well, I have a story for all you guys:

I was talking to this kid who played the violin, so I thought he would be pretty open-minded. Wrong. whenever I brought up anybody who wasn't Coldplay, he'd say that the artist is "crap" and "should burn in hell".

and the man was Chuck Schuldiner.

*thinks of the kid burning in hell for the comments*
I will generally listen to a band, unless I think they're utter crap, but even then i'll listen to them once or twice...Most of the time, my predictions are right. Yay me...
Quote by Purandara
Yeah, I mean killing a guy who stole from you and was threatening your life is totally analogous to killing a band because you don't like them.

Sure...and Nodtveidt killed a homosexual man for fun....
I've found Jesus
well TS,i wondered about this myself for awhile until i completely stopped loving music as much as i did,i never thought i would but it happened i think its cos most people find it easier to understand if they look at it as an accessory,so i just think most people cant appreciate it on its own,"music is the fruit of love" i now know the meaning of this is to just associate something you love with music,very few people actually have the ability to love music on its own,now if you choose to acknowledge the wisdom i just gave you all,you will see what i mean.
Actually, I'm going to say that some people hate other bands because of the praise they get from their fans, they see every other kid praising metallica for all their glorious contributions to metal and how great they are, and as such hate is directed towards the band, the fans, and everything in between.

Or even because of the ignorance that abounds..."oh, you like metal, so you like iron maiden, and black sabbath?" "no" "...what do you mean no? you said you liked metal" *frustration builds*

"oh, you play guitar, can you play led zepplin? steve vai? lennard skynnard(sp?)" no" "well then what can you play?..can you play ANYTHING?"

"well right now i'm working on There is no business to be done on a dead planet by all shall perish" "...never heard of it" "...of course you haven't"

*frustration builds*

infact Im going to come out and say it, that's all speaking from experience and is how I feel.
Page 1 of 3