I have a SM57, a 1/4 inch to XLR adapter, a 1/4 inch input on my computer, Nero Wav Editor, and Audacity. Is this fine for semi-decent quality recordings??? If not, what else do I need???
Quote by bulletrocks522
I have a SM57, a 1/4 inch to XLR adapter, a 1/4 inch input on my computer, Nero Wav Editor, and Audacity. Is this fine for semi-decent quality recordings??? If not, what else do I need???

A preamp (Art MP's $30) is needed (and one more cable). I hope the sound card you have is not off a motherboard, but a semi-decent one like a Soundblaster Audigy/X-fi or the new Asus ones, or hopefully an M Audio. If not, you could get an interface.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by bulletrocks522

You probably wont get much use out of that setup. The 57 is a nice mic but needs a lot of gain to work. You really should invest in a proper audio interface such as the EMU 0202 USB or PreSonus Inspire 1394.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
A preamp (Art MP's $30) is needed (and one more cable). I hope the sound card you have is not off a motherboard, but a semi-decent one like a Soundblaster Audigy/X-fi or the new Asus ones, or hopefully an M Audio. If not, you could get an interface.

Why do I need a preamp??? Why cant I just plug the mic in and record??? And whats an audio interface/??
EDIT: Scratch that, you can't just plug in and go.

But the soundcards typically found in PCs aren't made for audio recording so you will get fun things like latency and they generally don't sound as good.
Last edited by Post?Organic at Dec 30, 2008,
Quote by bulletrocks522
Why do I need a preamp??? Why cant I just plug the mic in and record??? And whats an audio interface/??

The quality will not be great. I am using an audio interface that came with Guitar Rig : Session and it increases my sound quality tenfold. Its wonderful. You don't need an interface, but keep in mind your sound will not be great without one.

While we're on this topic, how do you all feel about the Guitar Rig Session i/o audio interface? I do have one question... if I leave it plugged in to USB all the time, could it damage the unit?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Post?Organic
You could just plug in and go, but the soundcards typically found in PCs aren't made for audio recording so you will get fun things like latency and they generally don't sound as good.

My sound card is an Audigy Soundblaster. It has a 1/4 inc input.
Quote by bulletrocks522
My sound card is an Audigy Soundblaster. It has a 1/4 inc input.

Thats what I used to use and it wont sound that good.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison